i imagine some people here are a hell of a lot better at music theory than i am, and i need some help topping off a chord sequence. it's not a part of a song, it's more of a connecting idea i'm working on - recently my band decided we would try and link some of our songs together live rather than playing them all individually, but they're not all in the same key and it's not convinient to transpose them all - singers range, playability etc. anyway, i digress

the change i'm trying to make is from Bminor to C#minor, however, the progressions in both keys have accidentals/out-of-key bits, this might mean they're not in the keys i think they're in?

here's the progression so far (each chord for one bar)

Bm F7M Bm F#M GM C#dim
|-2--3--2--2--3----|
|-3--5--3--2--3--5-|
|-4--5--4--3--4--3-|
|-0--3--0--4--5--5-|
|-2-----2--4--5--4-|
|------------------|

then from there i somehow need to get to

C#m C+ D# D#/5-
|-4-4-4-4-|
|-5-5-5-5-|
|-6-5-4-3-|
|---------|
|---------|
|---------|

i would be very grateful to anyone who can help
Quote by Bad Kharmel
Following the C#dim go G#7 then C#m

this isn't a bad idea. but try throwing an F# in the bass of your C#º. you'll have, in effect, an F#9. use that as your pivot chord and go to G#7, then go to C#m. fairly simple, but it should get the job done.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by ab ovo
i imagine some people here are a hell of a lot better at music theory than i am, and i need some help topping off a chord sequence. it's not a part of a song, it's more of a connecting idea i'm working on - recently my band decided we would try and link some of our songs together live rather than playing them all individually, but they're not all in the same key and it's not convinient to transpose them all - singers range, playability etc. anyway, i digress

the change i'm trying to make is from Bminor to C#minor, however, the progressions in both keys have accidentals/out-of-key bits, this might mean they're not in the keys i think they're in?

here's the progression so far (each chord for one bar)

Bm F7M Bm F#M GM C#dim
|-2--3--2--2--3----4|
|-3--5--3--2--3--5-4|
|-4--5--4--3--4--3-4|
|-0--3--0--4--5--5-4|
|-2-----2--4--5--4-4|
|------------------|

then from there i somehow need to get to

C#m C+ D# D#/5-
|-4-4-4-4-|
|-5-5-5-5-|
|-6-5-4-3-|
|---------|
|---------|
|---------|

i would be very grateful to anyone who can help

C#7sus4. This sort of thing very much depends on harmonic rhythm. It'd be nice to hear how you play it.

Or

Play the C#dim chord, then move it up in m3's (symmetrical movement of the same chord) until you reach Gdim7 at the 10th fret. That will resolve nicely to C#m.

In fact, for good voice leading into your second part, do it this way...
---3-6
-5-2-5
-3-3-6
-5-2-5
-4-
----
both of these ideas work really nicely, i can't actually choose! i think i like the sound of Gdim before C#m better but it depends on the rhythm/inversion i use. still you've definitely fixed it for me, thanks
Last edited by ab ovo at Jan 2, 2012,