Would it be possible to set my guitar up for 11 Gauge String in Standerd?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
SRV did .13 in Eb I think.
It's possible, just set up your guitar again.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
I use .11 in E. I think they're 100% necessary for fast down picking and galloping. Anything thinner is like picking a shoe string to me.
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
I string all of my electrics with 11's. Works fine.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
Cool, thanks everone

Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by HeavyMetalSonic
I use .11 in E. I think they're 100% necessary for fast down picking and galloping. Anything thinner is like picking a shoe string to me.

I've never had any problems with .9's

op, yes.
Yeah it is possible, Pete Townshend (The Who) used .12s in Standard.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
it has a lot of effect on feel though
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Quote by engineno9
it has a lot of effect on feel though

if by that you mean it makes it hard as hell to bend, then yes.
srv used 18's a half step down im sure.. but yeah, i used to have 11-52 in standard and it was fine.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by rickyj

Some people, such as myself, prefer a little resistance in their playing. I hate it when strings flop around when I play. Heavier strings give me more control of my bends and vibrato.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
Quote by rickyj

It makes picking feel tighter and as for bending, it's a good work out.
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
Of course it's possible. I've been using 11-50 strings in standard E for the last 5 years and not a single problem. In fact, it's been better than when I was using 10's. Thicker tone, more sustain and better control.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
The difference in tone when I was using .11s in standard, to now with me using .13s in standard, is HUGE. In addition I just love the tuning stability and the feel of the bigger ones. I don't know that I could ever go back.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
Quote by RockinSince1993
Some people, such as myself, prefer a little resistance in their playing. I hate it when strings flop around when I play. Heavier strings give me more control of my bends and vibrato.

+1

Especially the lower strings. Its easier to play fast when that string snaps back right away.
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it is a set neck on my guitar. I don't know if that matters really though.

Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by HeavyMetalSonic

I agree, although I think even .11s are too small now. I'm probably going to move up to .12 or .13 soon.
I used to use .12's in standard, it worked completely fine. The only reason I went back to .10's is because that's all the shop down the street from me sells and I'm not driving an hour away just to get thicker strings.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
But why, though? String gauge doesn't even have that much of an effect on tone.

Are you joking?
Anyway I started on 10s and in the the last 2 years most of my guitars now have 11s I really like the feel and tone and strength in volume, more dynamic. I play my kids guitars set up in 9s and they feel funny and I pick so hard and grab so hard when I am in the zone that they go out of tune when playing but are in tune when open.
So my question is for the guys that use 11 and larger. Do you get the sets with the wound G strings? How does that feel? What brand has better "packs" of larger gauge. I prefer D adderios, been playing those for 25 years and I am currently using XL115 jazz lites.
What the hell!!!
I like my d'addario lights, they are .10s and they sound and feel pretty great
Me, I like Ernie Ball Power Slinkys. They're 11-48, and I tune them anywhere from standard to drop Bb and they feel great. This may sound odd, but tuning down that low is for playing sludge, which is supposed to have floppy strings. D standard feels good as well, and I love the resistance and tone in standard too.
ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom. gauge 10-52. Great for playing heavy rhythms and still be able to solo and bend easily on the high strings.
Quote by danvwman
Are you joking?
Anyway I started on 10s and in the the last 2 years most of my guitars now have 11s I really like the feel and tone and strength in volume, more dynamic. I play my kids guitars set up in 9s and they feel funny and I pick so hard and grab so hard when I am in the zone that they go out of tune when playing but are in tune when open.
So my question is for the guys that use 11 and larger. Do you get the sets with the wound G strings? How does that feel? What brand has better "packs" of larger gauge. I prefer D adderios, been playing those for 25 years and I am currently using XL115 jazz lites.

With the .13s I'm using, it comes with a wound .26 and a bare .21 for the G, I use the bare since its easier to bend.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12