Hey, I know this is a kinda dumb question but is there any sound quality difference between stacks and combos or is it just loudness? Thanks.
A stack is just the amplifier and the Speaker cabinet separate. A combo has both pieces built together. A stack isn't always louder than a combo. That has to do with how much energy the amp can output. A stack and a combo both rated at 50 watts will be equally loud.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I think a stack will give you more versatility, if you have a 1x12 cab and a 4x12 cab you can use one for gigs and one for home use.

Also, a 2x12 stack and 2x12 combo, the stack will be easier to move as the 2 pieces are seperate.

About it really
the difference is usually the sound of a closed back or ported cab vs a open back combo shell.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
yeah thanks, but is their any actual sound quality difference as in would a stack sound better and have better tone than its combo counterpart?
Quote by Poisonouspot
yeah thanks, but is their any actual sound quality difference as in would a stack sound better and have better tone than its combo counterpart?

preference yo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
There are too many variables to say that a stack sounds better.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Quote by GB4000
One fits in a car and doesn't take half of the band to move it.

A head and a 4x12 cab would take half of the band? I could nearly carry my own, but surely I could move them if the cab had wheels, which they mostly do.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by gregs1020
the difference is usually the sound of a closed back or ported cab vs a open back combo shell.

+1

Quote by Most_Triumphant
A stack and a combo both rated at 50 watts will be equally loud.

not necessarily. depends on the sensitivity of the speakers fitted to each.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I choose E.) Not enough information to answer. So many variable, a 20 Watt peavey classic can be soooo much louder than a mg stack. For metal, bass response tends to be pretty important, so a 4x12 cab might be what you need, but if you want led Zeppelin one, then you might want a small combo cranked up with a dirt box out front. P for preference.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I think the two greatest advantages of a stack compared to a combo is in some circumstances they are easier to transport and the ability to mix and match heads and cabinets. There are a lot of combos that suffer from crappy speakers and there are a lot of heads with crappy matching cabinets. There may even be cabinets with crappy matching heads, but I'm not sure. Plus if you're somewhat frugal you can buy yourself a really nice cabinet to use with multiple heads, though some heads to sound better through different speakers.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by GB4000
One fits in a car and doesn't take half of the band to move it.

Yeah, a 2x12 stack.

If all other factors are equal, I would argue that a head + 1x12 or 2x12 cab will sound better than the equivalent 1x12 or 2x12 combo.
But that only really applies to rock amps, where a totally sealed, closed back cab is often desirable.

For me, the biggest draw is only having to take a relatively lightweight head with me when I go to recording/rehearsal studios and certain gigs.
I choose E.) Not enough information to answer. So many variable, a 20 Watt peavey classic can be soooo much louder than a mg stack. For metal, bass response tends to be pretty important, so a 4x12 cab might be what you need, but if you want led Zeppelin one, then you might want a small combo cranked up with a dirt box out front. P for preference.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.