Hello! I've a few songs that I've recorded, though they're all instrumental so I don't know if I can really call them songs. Anyway, here they are!

Creation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tW9VuIxQ3k&feature=channel_video_title

Lakota: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYM1YsP85ck&feature=relmfu

CD 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_G0XVpCCrY&feature=relmfu

They aren't very dynamic, I know, but I wasn't really going for a fully developed song with any of them you know? I just wanted them to sound good.

I'd really appreciate it if you'd take a listen to at least one of the songs, and if you have anything of your own, I'll listen to yours and try to give some feedback.

Thanks
They're really good, i know it's not a popular comparison with most people, but it reminds me of coldplay. I'd genuinely listen to that!

If you happen to get a chance, check out my band man https://www.facebook.com/pages/Virtues-Must-Live/143226869078034?sk=app_178091127385
Quote by in*limbo
They're really good, i know it's not a popular comparison with most people, but it reminds me of coldplay. I'd genuinely listen to that!

If you happen to get a chance, check out my band man https://www.facebook.com/pages/Virtues-Must-Live/143226869078034?
sk=app_178091127385

Hey thanks! And I see no problem with Coldplay, what I've heard, I liked. And I checked out two of your songs and I've got to say, they're pretty cool. Broken almost sounds like a RHCP song. Great work, and thanks again
Creation - I'm about 40 seconds in, and REALLY like it. The violin is nice. Pretty much every instrument works great here. They all fit in perfectly. It sounds so full without it being forced. About 2:30 in now. A more radical change would have been nice. It's a great track, but either adding a little more or shortening it (because it is still great the way it is) would really make this incredibly solid.

Lakota - I love this too I should also make a note of the artwork on both. It's great, and perfectly fits the themes in each song. About 1:30 in. This has a very serene yet upbeat feel to it. I'm not sure what it is, but I love that tremolo-y thing going on behind the acoustics. Nice piano. Seriously you've got some good stuff here. 3:00 in now. This one is also meeting the same fate that the last song did. It's drawn out way too long with the same, albeit amazing, stuff. There's little variations and other sounds that come up that make me stick around to the end, but if you could somehow gather these ideas in to a more compact song, it would be so much better.

CD 1 - Going in to this one with high expectations. The last two have blown me away and this one is only two minutes long. Great start, as expected. Also, nice art again. Very dreamy sound. Nice slide and bass work. And the tremolo-picking guitar. I'm a sucker for that Not to sure about that ending though, it just kind of kills it. The best thing here is how you compressed a great idea in to a reasonable time.

You've got three great songs here, seriously. Not much more I can say. I'd appreciate you taking a look at mine https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1507553
Quote by IommiPage
Creation - I'm about 40 seconds in, and REALLY like it. The violin is nice. Pretty much every instrument works great here. They all fit in perfectly. It sounds so full without it being forced. About 2:30 in now. A more radical change would have been nice. It's a great track, but either adding a little more or shortening it (because it is still great the way it is) would really make this incredibly solid.

Lakota - I love this too I should also make a note of the artwork on both. It's great, and perfectly fits the themes in each song. About 1:30 in. This has a very serene yet upbeat feel to it. I'm not sure what it is, but I love that tremolo-y thing going on behind the acoustics. Nice piano. Seriously you've got some good stuff here. 3:00 in now. This one is also meeting the same fate that the last song did. It's drawn out way too long with the same, albeit amazing, stuff. There's little variations and other sounds that come up that make me stick around to the end, but if you could somehow gather these ideas in to a more compact song, it would be so much better.

CD 1 - Going in to this one with high expectations. The last two have blown me away and this one is only two minutes long. Great start, as expected. Also, nice art again. Very dreamy sound. Nice slide and bass work. And the tremolo-picking guitar. I'm a sucker for that Not to sure about that ending though, it just kind of kills it. The best thing here is how you compressed a great idea in to a reasonable time.

You've got three great songs here, seriously. Not much more I can say. I'd appreciate you taking a look at mine https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1507553

Hey thanks so much for the in depth critique! You're absolutely correct about the long drawn out parts, I have trouble building songs. I'm not very good at it, but hopefully that will come with more time. Lakota and Creation were both meant to simply be background music, actually, I created them both for two separate projects I had to do in my English class. We had to do a project and present it with media, so I recorded these songs to be my media. They were just meant to set an atmosphere over the presentation. However, I would like to go back to them both and maybe fit in some kind of bridge or something of the sort.

And with CD1, yeah, the ending does kill it. I recorded that one a while back, and I think I just got impatient and decided I'd just end it one way or another.

Once again, thank you, your words mean allot, I just listened to your song, I'm going to leave my response over on your threat
You've got 3 nice compositions there,they really set a mood,probably added some nice atmosphere to the projects. All 3 are nice foundations for further development,so get to it..take some chances,see what you come up with.The production/sound is very good,clear and with fine details to be heard.
Good work !
Quote by Damocles
You've got 3 nice compositions there,they really set a mood,probably added some nice atmosphere to the projects. All 3 are nice foundations for further development,so get to it..take some chances,see what you come up with.The production/sound is very good,clear and with fine details to be heard.
Good work !

Thanks! One problem I have with expanding songs though, is that with the ones that have guitar in them, I can never seem to mic the guitar just right to sound the same as in the recording. Know what I mean? I really can't add guitar later on unless I can find an acceptably similar tone to match the original. So I'm usually forced to chop the guitar up and loop the different parts to extend the song, and then add other bits like MIDI and whatnot to make it sound different. But the song sticks with the same 2 chords throughout it's entire duration unfortunately.
Listening to "Creation" right now. I really do like the instrumentation of this track! It sounds to me like a really good opener for an album!! I'd leave it EXACTLY how it is now, unless you were intending on adding vocals! I like the piano sound alot as well, it sounds very rich and full. The xylophones are a very nice touch as well, and I think I can hear some nice slide guitar? The one thing that I would suggest is maybe adding a bridge or playing with the dynamics in any area of the song. I think the song is the right length too. If you came up with a little change of chords at the ending it would be quite fantastic to hear, as it would leave listeners at the edge of their seat at the very end of the track, and if this were on an album would definitely leave them waiting for the next track. All in all, good work, no major complaints from me!
Okay, just as I was about to hit "back", I decided to click on "CD 1" and I did not regret it! This is a song you REALLY should think about making into a full track with maybe even vocals! Good work!
Quote by FenderMayer
Okay, just as I was about to hit "back", I decided to click on "CD 1" and I did not regret it! This is a song you REALLY should think about making into a full track with maybe even vocals! Good work!

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it a whole lot. All my stuff so far is very repetitive, and I would love to have a bridge in Creation. Just like you said, my dynamics need improving. I literally linger on the same two chords the whole time and just add different things over top to make a change, but that only goes so far, I need a deeper chord progression, or something of the sort
Creation - I know this isn't really a review of the song as such, but I think the tone of your piano is really good. As well as the little extensions to the basic chord you add in I'm a sucker for well played simple piano. I think if this was just played as a song by itself then it could become a little repetitive, however as background music for anything, from a movie, to game (I have no idea what kind of game would have music like this) this kind of track is perfect. Finally I really liked the slide guitar that you added in very occasionally it was a nice touch and I would have liked to have seen it more. Creation is really good for what it is, a background piece, however on its own as a song I feel it doesn't quite have enough dynamic range.

Lakota - Once again love the sound of the instruments, a lot of stuff on UG (mine included) sounds quite badly recorded but this sounds nice. Once again I feel that on its own this song lacks dynamic however is brilliant as a background piece. Particularly the guitar that enters at 1:43 I really like. The length of the song is also very long, dragging out the few chords to within an inch of their life But I assume this was to do with the length of the presentation.

CD 1 - Already on this song I really like the tremolo style picking lead that started the song. For this song my comments from the two previous songs stand the same about the dynamics. However due to the length of this song I feel it is far stronger piece of work.

All in all good work, nice use of instrumentation outside of guitar and bass. My only problem with these songs was the length and the dynamic range. Keep it up
Quote by danresn
Creation - I know this isn't really a review of the song as such, but I think the tone of your piano is really good. As well as the little extensions to the basic chord you add in I'm a sucker for well played simple piano. I think if this was just played as a song by itself then it could become a little repetitive, however as background music for anything, from a movie, to game (I have no idea what kind of game would have music like this) this kind of track is perfect. Finally I really liked the slide guitar that you added in very occasionally it was a nice touch and I would have liked to have seen it more. Creation is really good for what it is, a background piece, however on its own as a song I feel it doesn't quite have enough dynamic range.

Lakota - Once again love the sound of the instruments, a lot of stuff on UG (mine included) sounds quite badly recorded but this sounds nice. Once again I feel that on its own this song lacks dynamic however is brilliant as a background piece. Particularly the guitar that enters at 1:43 I really like. The length of the song is also very long, dragging out the few chords to within an inch of their life But I assume this was to do with the length of the presentation.

CD 1 - Already on this song I really like the tremolo style picking lead that started the song. For this song my comments from the two previous songs stand the same about the dynamics. However due to the length of this song I feel it is far stronger piece of work.

All in all good work, nice use of instrumentation outside of guitar and bass. My only problem with these songs was the length and the dynamic range. Keep it up

Thanks so much for the in-depth critique! I agree 100% that the dynamic range of the music is lacking. I have trouble building songs, and I always end up stuck going between two chords. I'm hoping I'll get a bit better over time

Also, allot of people seem to think that there is tremolo picking in the beginning of CD 1, however all I did to get that sound was dump as much reverb onto my guitar as I possibly could, and then a used a quarter (any ridged coin should work) and rubbed the ridges against the strings at it's fret.

Thanks again!