Looking for thoughts on which keyboard to buy!

How crucial are drumpads and all them fancy knobs and sliders?

I've been doing DAW stuff for a couple years , old school all point and click. I think im going to get carpal tunnel if I dont move to a midi controller soon, but I admit, FISH OUTTA WATER!!

I dont think I need much, as I know you can do pretty much everything with the software, but I also dont want to find that I really wanted a certain feature in 5 months and have to upgrade. Any anecdotes are much appreciated!

luv
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
I'm pretty sure the M-Audio Oxygen series is the bees knees for the price.
what do you want to do/what music do you play/make?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
what do you want to do/what music do you play/make?

the application for this is PRIMARILY hip hop sort of stuff, but I make all kinds of music so I'm hoping the choice isnt too genre specific.

edito:

i would think it reaaaaaaaaal nice if i could do my mixing from the knobs of the keyboard, is it pretty straightforward to set that sort of thing up in FL studio 9?

Last edited by nightwind at Jan 2, 2012,
Aye, M-Audio Oxygen seems the best choice. My college has them for all of the machines in the music tech rooms. Suppose the choice out of which one you need depends on how many keys you're going to need for what you're doing.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Duffman123
I'm pretty sure the M-Audio Oxygen series is the bees knees for the price.

Got a Oxygen, simple and basic. Worth the money.
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
If it wasn't obvious already, +1 to the M-Audio Oxygen. My roomie has one and we both use it frequently. It does the job well enough and its fairly inexpensive.

Look used, you can get a larger keyboard for a lower price.
The Oxygen is a good overall unit, and if you only plan on producing, it will do good.

A quick summary to take in account:

Semi-weighted keys
+ dynamics
- dynamics...lol
(dynamics can liven things up quite a bit, but if you can't play for shit, it will do the opposite and make stuff sound sloppy)

Drumpads on controller:

+ good workflow for beats and overall sample "jamming" and experimenting.
There are vst(i)'s out there that mimix the layout of 3x3 or 4x4 and thus makes for a fast workflow, and saving sample sets

Knobs & Faders.
** make sure they go from 1 - 127 midi messages to have the most smooth curve you can get.

Most units have this, but if they don't, it just make for a less smooth sound. Although you can automate everything, it's nice to handle the knobs manually.

Might need an audio interface if you don't have one, or else stuff could lag. Is quite important this, but maybe you already have one.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 2, 2012,
this is GREAT stuff guys, just killin it.

I have an audio interface, so im good there. I'll see what i can find for one with drum pads. TY for that advice darren.

lookin forward to gettin off my mouse .

yea i been on UG a while, got more than a few stories hahaha.