hey everyone. I have been playing acoustic guitar for the past one year or more. I think its time i switch to electric (which i actually wanted to play). But obv i need to buy one. I did my research. I just need advice on which brand to choose. Im interested in metal ,rock etc. Im looking for something with a fixed bridge(no trem) and good pickups. I was thinking probably an esp f50 or and ibanez rg2ex1 or a jackson. My budget is around 450 -500 dollars(only the guitar. I have already saved up for an amp). As for an amp im planning to get a line 6 or a peavey vypyr 30 watt. Any advice will be appreciated
Last edited by rockforlife19 at Jan 2, 2012,
i wouldnt get a line 6 anyway, biggest mistake ever.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
yeah, what that guy said.. a line 6 would be a mistake, i like vypers though, as for guitars, you could get a fairly good schecter for that price, they make a quality guitar. jackson isnt bad, im not too sure about an ibanez, but an esp is either love or hate with most people, what you should really do is try several and see what feels best to you personally
Go play a few. Whereas I'd jump on the ibanez you may not like the neck profile.
For amps try the vypyr, vox vt, and the roland cube.
I have a vypyr 30 and I can tell you it's probably thr best amp you can get for the money it costs. I love mine.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
ok so i guess the line6 is out of the picture. I did try out a few guitars. I liked a few. Mainly esp and ibanez. I tried a les paul too. Liked the sound but that neck is too fat and doesn feel comfortable. How do i distinguish between the guitars i like?
If you like the neck and it feels comfy to play is all that really matters aside from setup and qc.
Theyll all sound relatively similar through the amps modelling. You can get a good feel for the natural differences by playing unplugged.
you could try a warlock
badass appearance and pretty good sounding too
Quote by Viban
you could try a warlock
badass appearance and pretty good sounding too

bc rich? i heard that the low-intermediate level guitars they produce arent upto the mark. are you suggesting the bronze series or the revenge series? the NJ deluxe is not in my budget
Quote by rockforlife19
bc rich? i heard that the low-intermediate level guitars they produce arent upto the mark. are you suggesting the bronze series or the revenge series? the NJ deluxe is not in my budget

Dont get a BC rich at that price. Never. Ever.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Considering you're still getting started, I'd primarily go with the guitar that feels the best, because you'll be inspired to play it more often, which in the end is how you get better.
If a BC Rich bronze makes you happy, go for it. However, I doubt that.

If you can, look into the PRS SE series. MIGHT be slightly outside of your budget, but it beats the hell out of any other guitar in the price range. Could you go used? If so, you could get a pretty awewsome LTD or Ibanez. Oh, if you hadn't figured it out yet, LTD is part of ESP guitars, they're just low-budget.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by LordPino
Considering you're still getting started, I'd primarily go with the guitar that feels the best, because you'll be inspired to play it more often, which in the end is how you get better.
If a BC Rich bronze makes you happy, go for it. However, I doubt that.

If you can, look into the PRS SE series. MIGHT be slightly outside of your budget, but it beats the hell out of any other guitar in the price range. Could you go used? If so, you could get a pretty awewsome LTD or Ibanez. Oh, if you hadn't figured it out yet, LTD is part of ESP guitars, they're just low-budget.

Yes you are right. The bronze series doesn interest me much.
PRS seems nice. Il try checking them out. The problem is that the more i search, the more my wishlist broadens. Could you just me a few models according to my requirements from ltd or ibanez? That would be really helpful because then i would have a smaller list to choose from.
Quote by rockforlife19
Yes you are right. The bronze series doesn interest me much.
PRS seems nice. Il try checking them out. The problem is that the more i search, the more my wishlist broadens. Could you just me a few models according to my requirements from ltd or ibanez? That would be really helpful because then i would have a smaller list to choose from.

Yeah, I hear you. I have a custom made guitar and ever since I've had it, I've already been looking at new custom guitars, it's just the way it goes!

Pretty much anything in the PRS SE series would be nice for you.
The LTD EC-1000 is a Les Paul shaped guitar that gets a lot of good reviews, you could get it used ( new is +- €900 ), the LTD H-351NT looks like you'd like it too.
I actually know almost nothing about Ibanezes, I never liked the ultra thin necks and most of their guitars come with tremelos. However, I heard the RG series kicks major ass.

If you're into the metal sound, a lot of metal guitars have mahogany bodies ( they have a very nice rich tone ), ebony fretboards ( are a bit clearer, sharper than for example rosewood ) and active pickups ( mostly EMGs, they have a lot of output > sound good with distortion ).

Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
That Ibanez for the guitar and a Roland Cube for an amp.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
With Carvin you get a semi-custom. You can choose various wood, bridge, finish and other options using their online guitar builder. I would recommend messing around on the builder and scoping out all the options.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
500$ for a semi custom? Cool story bro.

Ibanez rg471ah.

Hmm. I like this one. Do you know the difference between this and the rg2ex1 (also called rg321ex) except for the wood (rg321ex has basswood)?
Also this has inf 1/ inf 2 pickups compared to rg321ex which has v7/v8 pickups. Which are the better pups out of the two?
Personally, i like the infs. I found the vintage pups very noisy in my rg1570.
Swapped them to bare knuckle pickups the first week.

Most people like the v's over the infs that I have talked to.

Both are very typical ibbys except for the ash body on the 471. Wizard 3 neck on the 471, 2 on the rg321, diff inlays, diff pickups and quite possibly the rg471 would have better pots/ elec parts.
Quote by LordPino
Yeah, I hear you. I have a custom made guitar and ever since I've had it, I've already been looking at new custom guitars, it's just the way it goes!

Pretty much anything in the PRS SE series would be nice for you.
The LTD EC-1000 is a Les Paul shaped guitar that gets a lot of good reviews, you could get it used ( new is +- €900 ), the LTD H-351NT looks like you'd like it too.
I actually know almost nothing about Ibanezes, I never liked the ultra thin necks and most of their guitars come with tremelos. However, I heard the RG series kicks major ass.

If you're into the metal sound, a lot of metal guitars have mahogany bodies ( they have a very nice rich tone ), ebony fretboards ( are a bit clearer, sharper than for example rosewood ) and active pickups ( mostly EMGs, they have a lot of output > sound good with distortion ).

The H 351 seems great. (when did they start this series btw?). But its way out of my budget and i cannot find any used ones either. Do the EC 1000 have a fat neck like a gibson les paul? Those dont feel comfortable to me. any other models in mind?
Last edited by rockforlife19 at Jan 3, 2012,