Ever seen a guitar do this or know why?

I play an E note on the ninth fret of the G string. It begins to sustain at full volume (not just a residual hum) forever. I release the note, touch the string in a non-harmonic spot....it continues to ring out until I muffle all the other strings.

I repeat this doing my best to keep all other strings muffled and it still does it. I touch each string to find it seems to be setting off a harmonic/feedback E on the A string. Weird? I've never seen this behavior in 30 years of playing. Is this sign of bad wiring, crap electronics or some other weird problem?
Sound normal. All of my guitars have a ton of overtones on other strings. You either get used to it or mute it. I tend to use it as support for my sound unless I'm playing a complicated (and non diatonic) melody.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Elvin Presler
I release the note, touch the string in a non-harmonic spot....

There isn't really a 'non-harmonic' spot on any string. You are going to get some kind of harmonic pretty much everywhere you touch.

You will notice that if you tremolo pick a string and lightly move your finger along the string as you do so, you'll get all kinds of harmonics. the 5th, 7th, and 12th are the most common but they are there on pretty much every fret to some degree.

What I am saying is I play an E note on the ninth fret of the G string while muffling all other strings and as long as I stand there and don't move it will ring out forever. Loud, like it was just plucked and in E so you don't hear it go from the played note to a screeching feedback or anything. The only thing I can figure is the vibration is setting off a harmonic E on another string, but I was doing my best to muffle them all, so I wonder if it's not doing a feedback "loop" thing or whatever within the electronics. I have never seen a guitar do it before.

The only way it stops is to release and then touch all strings.
Last edited by Elvin Presler at Jan 2, 2012,
Quote by Elvin Presler
What I am saying is I play an E note on the ninth fret of the G string while muffling all other strings and as long as I stand there and don't move it will ring out forever. Loud, like it was just plucked and in E so you don't here it go from the played note to a screeching feedback or anything. The only thing I can figure is the vibration is setting off a harmonic E on another string, but I was doing my best to muffle them all, so I wonder if it's not doing a feedback "loop" thing or whatever within the electronics. I have never seen a guitar do it before.

The only way it stops is to release and then touch all strings.

Are you saying your guitar sustains that E note forever? It's still not clear to me.

Just out of curiosity, try muting behind the nut. Are you using a lot of distortion when this happens?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Well typically, you have 2 strings tuned to E so those could enforce it..

Also, depending on the room you're in (and this is unlikely but possible since almost all rooms have them..) you've found a room mode.

Room Modes

Does changing where you're playing make a difference? (Not on the guitar but in your house, apt, etc?)

Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Jan 2, 2012,
Yes, the E note I play (or what sounds just like it) sustains forever, even after I take my finger off the string and touch (muffle, not fret) the string again. It moves to other strings, harmonics, or into an E feedback, whatever. It rings forever until I lay my hand over all the strings to stop it.

I was using Revalver, 6505 model with a hard rock level of distortion, same as I do with my other guitar (that doesn't do this behavior) though. I can not test any resolutions now because the guitar is packed up for return to the store (it had other problems, bad fret job, blemishes, etc). I am mainly just asking out of curiosity here, not trying to resolve a problem.
Last edited by Elvin Presler at Jan 2, 2012,