Hey guys, massive Megadeth fan here, I've just been wondereing how to do daves lead thing like the intro to Headcrusher and the last solo in Holy Wars (about 58 seconds from the end). So does anyone know these techniques and how to learn them,great thanks

Loha
He doesn't do anything special at any point, there are a tonne of tabs and lessons on his solo and style and nothing he does is at any point out of the ordinary.

If anything I would tell you not to go with what he does; his fretting hand, especially in that lick, is pretty damn bad. The only thing worth taking from him is the whole "spider" idea.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jan 2, 2012,
Quote by Loha101
Hey guys, massive Megadeth fan here, I've just been wondereing how to do daves lead thing like the intro to Headcrusher and the last solo in Holy Wars (about 58 seconds from the end). So does anyone know these techniques and how to learn them,great thanks

Loha

just do a bunch of drugs and alcohol, kick your friends dog, and convert to christianity... LOL just pratice alot without the TV on and no other distractions. last night i learned the solos for architecture of agression,she-wolf, and angry again by playing them over and over until i finally got to speed
I think he said somewhere he doesn't practice.

You can also lie about being bestest friends with that band you use to hate.

Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jan 2, 2012,
Dave Mustaines lead playing, technique wise is mostly alternate picking and legato stuff. Some times some tapping.

Note wise he uses a lot of pentatonic and blues scale stuff with a lot of added chromatics. Passing notes, ascending and descending in semi tones (listen to intro to Peace Sells. Also, triads over two strings.

Occationally you will here some other stuff, like harmonic minor or phrygian dominant. But that's rare.

Quote by sickassfoo
kick your friends dog,

James kicked James dog. But lets not get into that.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Jan 3, 2012,
hes not really known for lead playing. He is an awsome rhythm player though
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by jkielq91
He does plenty of lead playing. Check out his solos in Wake up Dead, Holy Wars, Hangar 18 and Into the Lungs of Hell.

He didn't say he never played lead he just said it wasn't anything spectacular which is true.

There's not much left for me to say that the countless joke posts and the one srs post hasn't already said besides this: why would you give us the time to go to BEFORE the song ends rather than the actual time?
He's a blues scale player mostly. I cant think of much else he does. Theres some weird stuff he'll do with chromatic notes.

A lot of his solos are like little rhythm parts he'll play with higher notes. Check out "go to hell". Hes got some weird stuff in there.
Headcrusher uses downstroke and pull off on the high e and uppick to the B.
Holy Wars uses same thing on B And G with more pull offs
Hi there - Dave talks about his lead in his iPhone/iPad App in the iTunes app store. I learned them by starting at 1/2 speed and working my way up... Still not at full-speed yet!

Quote by Loha101

Loha
Quote by satanblaster
Headcrusher uses downstroke and pull off on the high e and uppick to the B.
Holy Wars uses same thing on B And G with more pull offs

Yeah he does a lot of the hammer on, pull off types of licks alot. How can I say this with out creating a total flame war, but I think he and Kirk's styles are similar in some ways. They like to use certain licks a lot. They will take a certain phrase and just move it around in different areas. You hear it alot from Kirk on his leads on Kill 'em all. He even recycled a few of those licks on AJFA. Dave does it a lot too. Thats the great thing bout being a guitar player, you can find something you are comfortable with and use it in a ton if different ways.
Quote by MEGADETHGOD
Yeah he does a lot of the hammer on, pull off types of licks alot. How can I say this with out creating a total flame war, but I think he and Kirk's styles are similar in some ways. They like to use certain licks a lot. They will take a certain phrase and just move it around in different areas. You hear it alot from Kirk on his leads on Kill 'em all. He even recycled a few of those licks on AJFA. Dave does it a lot too. Thats the great thing bout being a guitar player, you can find something you are comfortable with and use it in a ton if different ways.

Only childish people flame, or people that can't accept that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I agree though. Their styles are very alike, but that's cause they have alot of things in common. They both use mainly the pentatonic/blues scale (Although Dave is also known for his chromatic playing).

They where both fans of NWOBHM when it came out, etc.

I prefer Dave's playing though. His solos might not be anything special but they sound very good to me! Although i'm more a fan of his playing because of the rhythm of course.

But yeah, Dave's style is built upon the blues scale mostly. He uses alot of hammer ons and pull offs, as well as often doing single string alternate picking stuff.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Last edited by Sickz at Jan 7, 2012,
Quote by MEGADETHGOD

Should probably point out that on KEA Kirk was told to use Mustaine's solos as a guide for what he should do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, I'm spending a lot of time on theory and analyzing songs. So far Dave is as everyone else said here a blues player. Judging from his songwriting skills and interviews, he does know theory (at least the position of notes , eh ) , I'm sure the lead guitarists would help him along the way, but that's another story. I'm more impressed how does he f***ing play and sing at the same time. I tried playing Poison Was the Cure, no problem playing and talking to people around me. But when it comes to singing the lyrics and playing. YIKES ! I FAIL! Just like on the Peace Sells when it goes 'PEEAAACEEE ...PEAAACEE SEEELLLS..." part. I fail again. Not to mention A call to arms...Never Walk alone...

Anybody know some exercises how to play rhythm and sing ? Except "learn lyrics, learn song until you can have sex with your gf and play it and sing at the same time" answer?
Theres an article on the front page right now about singing and playing guitar at the same time
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby