I got my guitar a few days ago and when im not working on my car, sleeping or eating im practice. Even then though im practicing the cord shapes wit my fingers. My fingers are definitely sore but i expected that.
I am having a little problem with the A cord. When I have my middle finger on the B string it always ends up muting the high E string. It never fails either. I ALWAYS end up muting it. Anyone else having/had this problem?
Gotta say its quite frustrating :/
Your middle finger on the B string? That could very well be your problem there.

Try this: Index finger on the D, Middle finger on the G, ring finger on the B.

Also, I must emphasize using the tip of your finger. The more on the tips of your fingers you can get the better.

my bad i wrote that wrong. My ring finger is on the B string and im muting the E.
Im using the tippest part of my finger i can
You could try middle on D, ring finger one G, and pinky on B.
That might give you more room.
don't fret it shelby, you'll work it out. it just takes some practice. i still mute out major bar chords, but im workin' on it( having broken all my fingers countless times doesnt help).
Quote by whoomit

thnx maybe ill try that
I always just barre my A major with my index.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
Quote by whoomit

+1

Quote by RockinSince1993

I always just barre my A major with my index.

No. -1
Quote by Zeppelin Addict

No. -1

What is your problem with barring the A chord? It's more efficient.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
i bar the A when strumming some songs, and i finger it when picking. it works both ways depending on what your doing. i think someone still learning the A should finger it before learning how to cheat.
Quote by RockinSince1993
What is your problem with barring the A chord? It's more efficient.

Efficient, maybe.

Good habit? Not really. Especially when you're learning and you're having trouble with getting the high e string to ring out.

Your tendency is going to be to barre from the D to the high e, even by accident. We want the high e to ring out, not make the chord an A6.

The high e rings out fine for me. Then again, I don't have sausage fingers. I barre the D, G and B strings and that's it. There's no "right" way to do it. Just different ways. Mine works for me, so that's what I suggested. It isn't a bad habit, it's my style of playing.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
Quote by RockinSince1993
The high e rings out fine for me. Then again, I don't have sausage fingers. I barre the D, G and B strings and that's it. There's no "right" way to do it. Just different ways. Mine works for me, so that's what I suggested. It isn't a bad habit, it's my style of playing.

You have to consider that TS could, though.. You never know.
There is no 'right' way, you're right, however fingering the chord when you're learning does make for better habits later on.. Learning an open position A major 7th or learning actual barre chords, amongst many other examples.

Just speaking from the experience I have in actually teaching people...
Nonetheless, you're completely entitled to your opinion.

Thanks, I understand your position in trying to help the TP. I simply wanted to make it clear that there is no "right way". Carry on.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
thnx for all the suggestion guys. i moved a lil further up on my finger tip, had to cut my nails but that the sarifice ya gotta make to play right .

As for barring the A i tried it and it was a lil easier and may possibly use it in the future but for right now i wanna b able to get it down the way i was taught then once i feel im good enough at it i will move on to mastering the barring.

Btw been playin for 5 days. This will b my 6th nd today my fingers r lil numb but dont hurt as much so im pretty happy to have gotta past the painfulness of it.
Quote by Shelbyb3

I am having a little problem with the A cord. When I have my middle finger on the B string it always ends up muting the high E string. It never fails either. I ALWAYS end up muting it. Anyone else having/had this problem?
I'm not even going to touch your explanation of which finger is doing what, but I have some ideas for you to mull over.

First, I don't land the A Major open chord with either of the 2 suggested fingerings.

My method uses the index finger to hold down the "E" on the 4th (D) string, AND the "A" on the 3rd (G ) string. Then, the index finger holds the "C#" on the 2nd (B) string.

Yes the index finger is holding a partial barre.

More importantly, muting adjacent strings is almost always caused by the fingers not being curled enough, and the wrist not being far enough under the neck.

As you practice, consciously try to maintain the first digit of all your fingers at, or very near, perpendicular to the fretboard.

As the angle decreases toward parallel with the fretboard, it becomes virtually impossible to avoid muting adjacent strings to the fingered note. The fatter your fingers, the more critical this becomes.

One thing to understand though, when strumming just rhythm patterns, sometimes it's a good idea to stay away from, or lighten up on, the E-1 and B-2 strings, as the overall effect can become a bit strident.

So I guess, it's not a bad idea to learn that A Major chord both ways, muted and unmuted E-1 string.
Recommended threads
Tennis Ball
acoustic87
Last post:
by MotleyCrueSATD