What I mean is, use it to boost your gain channel. Can they do that? Or are they built differently than that? Could you mod one to work that way? (n00b question, I know. I just wana know if it can work)
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Not true. Not every distortion pedal can be run in the fashion of "distortion down volume up". It depends on how the circuit is designed. By all means, try it first. But it is not a definite. If you do want to cut the dirt and make it more of a boost you can try and remove one or all of the clipping diodes.
Quote by inkandlead
Not true. Not every distortion pedal can be run in the fashion of "distortion down volume up". It depends on how the circuit is designed. By all means, try it first. But it is not a definite. If you do want to cut the dirt and make it more of a boost you can try and remove one or all of the clipping diodes.

As long as it can provide a volume boost at low to no distortion settings, any pedal should work.
Yes. I agree there. But some of the common distortion pedals can still be pretty dirty even with the distortion turned all the way down.