So i'm using logic pro 9 and it keeps crashing in my mixing phase? It kept doing so during recording by i got by through doing tiny sections.

I'm using Superior drummer, amplitude for 3 bass guitar parts [not at the same time] and around 12 guitar parts, which arent' always playing at the same time due to cleans, distortion and solos. So obviously alot of inputs, but does anyone know how i can mix without the hassle of logic crashing? cheers
Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
How much RAM have you got? Could be the problem.

When I use many, heavy duty plugins (big Superior Drummer presets are a ****ing killer) I tend to crash as well, but since I'm hesitant about taking the 64-bit plunge, I am stuck with >4gb. Bounce some (at least temporary) tracks and disable the plugins.
Your drum sounds should be printed before you ever start mixing. It just takes up too much RAM and too much CPU power. Render each of your drum tracks as audio files, and that should solve the problem.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
4gig ram apparently, but i like to mess with the drums with the song too, cos the crashes tend to be too high or low. I've frozen a lot of tracks cos i heard that helps but still crashes
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
OK, well your biggest CPU hogs are going to be drum samplers and amp sims. So you need to print one of the two in order to fix this problem.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
by print, do you mean bounce?
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
Yes.

Quote by theogonia777
when you are running 12 guitar tracks, do you have an instance of your amp sim running on each of them? try sending them all to a lower number of tracks that are just for effects. so if youve got 3 or 4 tracks which are using the same amp sim, have one instance of that on one track and use automation to change whatever settings. same thing for effects, automate them on and off instead of having a new instance for each input. it can cut down on the number of plugins you use by a lot.

other than that, bouncing the tracks you have finished (or mostly finished) is the best thing i can think of.
Quote by jof1029
when you are running 12 guitar tracks, do you have an instance of your amp sim running on each of them? try sending them all to a lower number of tracks that are just for effects. so if youve got 3 or 4 tracks which are using the same amp sim, have one instance of that on one track and use automation to change whatever settings. same thing for effects, automate them on and off instead of having a new instance for each input. it can cut down on the number of plugins you use by a lot.

other than that, bouncing the tracks you have finished (or mostly finished) is the best thing i can think of.

The problem with that, though (mostly with amp sims and compressors) is that one amp sim will react differently to one guitar signal than two guitar signals. Especially if you're double tracking, then having two guitar signals go through one amp sim will sound different than one amp sim a track.

Quote by theogonia777
depends on how you do it. i have seen a lot of people run an amp sim on every single take, even ones that are consecutive and not at the same time. thats more the situation that i am talking about, not runing two parts at the same time through the same amp. which can work if the amp has a stereo setting and you are using 100% panning, but i would agree that it can sound a bit different than using two sims.