I like to play a very large variety of music. Some examples of bands i play are: The Black Keys, The Strokes, Two Door Cinema Club, Blink 182, AC/DC, Cage the Elephant, Franz Ferdinand, Guns n Roses, Silversun Pickups, Led Zeppelin, MGMT, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sum 41, etc.

Lately i have been looking at some semi hollow and hollow guitars such as the Epiphone Sheraton II, the Epiphone Dot, and the Ibanez AFS80t. Would these guitars work for most of these genres?

My other guitar is an Epiphone LP custom studio.

What guitar would work for most of these genres? One that can play well clean but can also handle quite a bit of distortion? Any and all guitars are open to suggestion!

thanks in advance
Last edited by jbongi14 at Jan 2, 2012,
I'd say since you have a humbucker guitar, why not get something with singlecoils like a Strat or Tele?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
I'd say since you have a humbucker guitar, why not get something with singlecoils like a Strat or Tele?

I like the suggestion, but those two are played so much that i hear those everyday in music, ya know? Any less popular but similar guitars? I'm going for a unique sound
A semi-hollow would definitely be better than any hollow body for you if that's the route you're set on going in. Hollow bodies can get a lot of feedback. Even then the semi-hollow won't be ideal for some of the bands you listed. For instance I wouldn't go out trying to play Sum 41, Blink, GnR, or AC/DC with one. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but for more than half of the bands you mentioned a solid body would probably be better as far as tone goes. That's just my opinion though.
Last edited by caeser1156 at Jan 2, 2012,
Quote by jbongi14
I like the suggestion, but those two are played so much that i hear those everyday in music, ya know? Any less popular but similar guitars? I'm going for a unique sound

to a degree, there is a reason why they are so popular, they do what they do well.

maybe a fender jaguar? mustang? gibson/epi firebird?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm really liking my warbeast, it has bdsm's in it and it sounds pretty beautiful clean, but it'll still growl at ya dirty
Quote by jbongi14

So is your Les Paul and you still bought it.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by GeeksDoItBetter
look into a solid body with p-90's

any examples?
Quote by jbongi14
any examples?

Gibson 50's and 60's Tributes SG/Les Paul, Les Paul Junior (there are even 2-pickup Juniors).

Great P-90 guitars.

Also you can get a humbucker guitar and a set of humbucker sized P-90s.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I had a Surf Green Jerry Jones U2 for a while. It was actually really nice,lite ,had good tone very clear, not sure if it was semi hollow. The neck was a nice thin shredder type. Had 2 lipstick anti hum single coils that were hot as hell! Worked well for Back In Black songs. Sounded killer with a lot of gain. Kinda wish I had kept it but I am a mainly a metal head so I looked funny playing it.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Jan 2, 2012,
Quote by caeser1156
A semi-hollow would definitely be better than any hollow body for you if that's the route you're set on going in. Hollow bodies can get a lot of feedback. Even then the semi-hollow won't be ideal for some of the bands you listed. For instance I wouldn't go out trying to play Sum 41, Blink, GnR, or AC/DC with one. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but for more than half of the bands you mentioned a solid body would probably be better as far as tone goes. That's just my opinion though.

Would any semi hollow bodies be able to handle that amount of gain/distortion? Any in specific?

Also, what solid bodies do you have in mind?
Quote by JesusCrisp
Gibson 50's and 60's Tributes SG/Les Paul, Les Paul Junior (there are even 2-pickup Juniors).

Great P-90 guitars.

Also you can get a humbucker guitar and a set of humbucker sized P-90s.

i like it! but would it sound too similar to my other LP?
I'm pretty familiar with the bands you listed.

Use your LP for this type of stuff:
The Black Keys, Blink 182, AC/DC, Guns n Roses, Led Zeppelin

For these bands you're best off with a Strat or Tele as that's what they use:
Two Door Cinema Club, Franz Ferdinand, Guns n Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers

Now for The Strokes, one guitarist uses an LP and the other uses a Strat

IMO, since you have an Epiphone LP already go with a Tele or Strat to diversify your sound. If you want to stick with the bucker go with an HSS Strat.
Quote by You Ruined It
I'm pretty familiar with the bands you listed.

Use your LP for this type of stuff:
The Black Keys, Blink 182, AC/DC, Guns n Roses, Led Zeppelin

For these bands you're best off with a Strat or Tele as that's what they use:
Two Door Cinema Club, Franz Ferdinand, Guns n Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers

Now for The Strokes, one guitarist uses an LP and the other uses a Strat

IMO, since you have an Epiphone LP already go with a Tele or Strat to diversify your sound. If you want to stick with the bucker go with an HSS Strat.

I would definitely like to diversify my sound. Thanks for the suggestions! Any other suggestions?

How about this guy? Semi hollow with p90s? Sexy.

http://www.samash.com/p/Fender_Jim%20Adkins%20JA90%20Telecaster%20Thinline%20Electric%20Guitar%20Natural_484019?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Solid%20Body%20Electric-_-Jim%20Adkins%20JA90%20Telecaster%20Thinline%20Electric%20Guitar%20Natural-_-F2350521X
Well I just got a Stratocaster for my Birthday in November and I'm absolutely loving it!
If you want a versatile semi-hollow, take a look at Carvin's SH550:

(Invalid img)
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley