I recently bought superior drummer. I am learning slowly how to program. In reaper, if I choose to insert a new virtual instrument on a new track I have the option to break it into like 18 tracks. Can I record the cymbals on one track then the toms on another , snare, bass etc. without overloading my system with multiple instances of superior drummer running?
Yes. When you right click to add a virtual instrument on a track and click "Ok" to add the extra tracks, that prepares you for this:
At the bottom of each channel/track in the Superior Drummer Mixer, there is an option for what output it goes to, or even bus channels within Superior Drummer. Selecting Out 1 or Out 2 should change what track the kick/snare/etc goes to. Is that too confusing? I can clear it up if you have questions.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
I've never used SD, but if it's like Addictive Drums then you just write out your drums in the midi editor on the main track. Then do what OfCourseNot said, and that should route each one to the mixer. There you can add your effects and mix each piece by itself. This is how I do it with Addictive Drums and it works out very well for me.
Im not a drummer and one reason that I would like to record this way is because I won't be able to play the entire drum beat on a midi controller. I would like to record the cymbals then go back and record the snare and continue down the line. Will this work this way?
Quote by RLD Guitar
Im not a drummer and one reason that I would like to record this way is because I won't be able to play the entire drum beat on a midi controller. I would like to record the cymbals then go back and record the snare and continue down the line. Will this work this way?

You can do that either way, MIDI cycle records, it's additive. Unlike audio that does a new take each time, you can have multiple midi regions on top of each other (at least in Logic, I assume others can do the same.) Record your hats, record again with your kick, again with snare, etc. Makes no difference if your drums are coming out stereo or a dozen aux's.

JB