I was just goofing around and played a cool sounding riff or progression whatever you want to call it, as follows.
---------------------------0-0-0-1-1-1-2-2-2-
------------------1-1-1--1-1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-
-3-3-3----------2-2-2--0-0-0-2-2-2-3-3-3-
-x-x-x---2-2-2-2-2-2--2-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4-
-5-5-5--2-2-2----------3-3-3-3-3-3-4-4-4-
----------0-0-0----------0-0-0-1-1-1-2-2-2-
My question is why do you rarely see bands mix power chords and octave chords with open and barre chords? If you are not playing with a lot of overdrive and distortion i do not see what the problem is and they sound kinda cool together.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
RHCP is a prime example of "mixed/vareity" of chords.
-American Standard Strat-
-Jay Turser Semi Hollowbody-
-Fender 61 Reissue Blues Deluxe 40w-
When you're looking at tabs of songs (especially on this site), you won't see artists mixing types of chords because the tabber usually transcribes the music according to his/her own ear. For example, a tabber of a metal song may not transcribe the fifth or even the fourth note of a chord because his ear is better trained to listen to power/octave chords that more are the norm in metal music (due to the ease with which you can move and therefore, play faster).

Another reason is consistency of sound. Why would somebody on a low gain amp play just a power/octave chord when he can make it sound more "full" by adding additional notes?

Meh, just my opinion
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
Trust me, there are TONS of artists who do. Voicings of chords are just as important to a players arsenal as the chords themselves. No established guitar player out there uses just basic chords.

As far as power chords go, these are generally used with distortion. Simply because once you start adding thirds with distortion it can sound kind of nasty. (Not always though...)

They sound pretty thin against a full barre chord though, not to mention they are 'neutral' when it comes to their quality (major, minor, augmented, diminished..)

Really it's something you've just got to look for. You hear it a lot more than you think though. There are only 12 notes..

+1 to prizzy, also the Beatles did it a fair bit.. Ever try to play Mockingbird?

Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Jan 2, 2012,
Mmm, fingerstyle on some octave chords.

Everytime I noodle it when getting in the mood for fingerstyle arpeggios someone comments how I make it sound like brokeback mountain's tune.
Epiphone Evolution Explorer EMG'd Euaaahhh
Fender Squier Standard Stratocaster
Peavey Vypyr 75w W/Sanpera I
Because you don't listen to enough music. Also if you think those are the only kinds of chords you have a lot of study to do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod has it spot on, you don't listen to a wide enough range of music and also you're not trying to learn to play enough different types of music.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
sorry my first answer was more breif then i wanted it to be but i did not have much time.

listen to some Mostly non-distortion 3 piece bands, similar to the red hot chilli peppers, especially live. while in studio these guitarists can track all the parts they want but live is another story. in many cases, guitarists like John Frusicante will try to flesh out the sound of his guitar more with a combination of both lead and rythym parts that are created on many different chord variations of the same chord. like others said, take chord voicing very seriously. it can open up rythym parts, and build on lead tracks.

sorry, no one ever taught me how to spell the word rythym.
-American Standard Strat-
-Jay Turser Semi Hollowbody-
-Fender 61 Reissue Blues Deluxe 40w-
IMHO, that kinds of stuff is where acoustic guitars come into place. They sound epic with awkward yet cool chord variations. It's fairly unnecessary for electric in most ways.
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Quote by Diesel Weasel
IMHO, that kinds of stuff is where acoustic guitars come into place. They sound epic with awkward yet cool chord variations. It's fairly unnecessary for electric in most ways.

You are wrong. That is all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.