It would help a lot if you could tell us what sound are you looking for, what bass are you using, what features are important and what aren't, if your willing to go head and cab, or you prefer a combo, if you will be having transportability issues and as much other info you could add. then, you will probably get the advice you're looking for...

this post is not irrespectful at all, i'm trying to help you to get the best advice possible.

good luck
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
It would help a lot if you could tell us what sound are you looking for, what bass are you using, what features are important and what aren't, if your willing to go head and cab, or you prefer a combo, if you will be having transportability issues and as much other info you could add. then, you will probably get the advice you're looking for...

this post is not irrespectful at all, i'm trying to help you to get the best advice possible.

good luck

While this is indeed true, with OP's budget he's very probably going to have to look used and possibly just get the loudest rig he can find.

In my experience, you won't find many gig-worthy bass rigs in that range, but there's always a chance of picking up something nice used if you're lucky.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Save another $400 or so. $600 isn't going to get you much, if anything.

EDIT: This might do you alright, pretty good deal for $500. Not sure by what you mean by "Central Coast" but if you're close enough to Sydney it'd be worth looking in to.
The cab's probably only 8ohm though, so you'd be getting about 180ish watts out of that head.
Last edited by consecutive e at Jan 3, 2012,
^I think your not really supposed to link to actual auctions on here,as it could be considered advertising,but that one doesn't matter too much^
A usable bass rig can be had in Australia for less $500 if you scour second hand hard enough.
Try looking for old peaveys, ashdowns (I hear MAG's aren't the best,but they're probably alot better than many other bass amps) and laneys.
Avoid behringers and ashtons.
With the head,you'll probably want (and only find) a solid state head,anything above 100 watts.People on here will tell you 300 watts minimum,but you can get away with 100 IMO,and for the price of such a thing here,you'd need more $$$.
Small enough bass heads can often be posted
As for cabinets,you'll be looking for either a 1x15 or a 4x10.1x15 will have more lows and less punch,a 4x10 will have more mids.
Just scour ebay!
Btw,what is your profile picture?
I've seen that dam thing,but I don't know what it is!
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I can link eBay auctions all day if I want. It's relevant to thread and it's helping this dude out. Only place it's not allowed is the Classifieds Forum.
Fun fact. The Eden all valve head is actually a modded version of the Ashton one (they're sold under a few different brand names too). There was a dude on OzBass who grabbed two for $300 or something stupid each brand new. They get some rave reviews too. 300 watts, 6550s, you know the type. The Ashton all-tube guitar heads are pretty nice too.
There's a MAG300 on eBay at the moment for $270 but they don't have a great rep as far as reliability goes.
Quote by Ian hawkins
Btw,what is your profile picture?
I've seen that dam thing,but I don't know what it is!

It is Domo-kun! The mascotte for a Japanese TV station.

On topic: I'm going to agree with used Laney's and Peavey's. I find Ashdown too coloured, which can be a good thing for you. I guess.
I found a Hartke HA3500 350watt head for 300 bucks used. Havent bought it yet, trying to see if i can get a look at it. I have 600 bucks lying around and its the last of the money in my budget ive assigned to "spend on shit" Keep your eyes peeled man! Ill still need a cab...

edit: are genz benz cabs any good, guy is also selling a 4x10 for 310, might be able to pick this all up for 600ish flat. I am unfamiliar with them
Quote by thunderbritches
I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol

Warwick Pro Series Corvette
Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
Last edited by Cantplay4penuts at Jan 3, 2012,
Can definitely recommend Genz Benz. I've been using one of their Shuttle heads for the past few months, and it's without a doubt one of the best amps I've ever played through, and light as hell too.
shmbluh12:Thankyou!
Consecutive e:Wasn't having a crack,I just wasn't sure if it was passable here.Now I know.
As for the Ashton thing that is interesting to know actually,as many people will dance around in circles for eden,but won't get up for an Ashton.
Maybe my opinion is skewed from the Ashton stuff I've dealt with, specifically one variety of bass amp popular in schools
TS: Seeing as you will most likely have to go and get a second hand cabinet yourself,make sure you give it a quick blast before you buy it and check each speaker sounds right.
Goodluck,and be sure to post your results!
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Still unsure what you will be playing, but a band came through here recently from Holland or something, and their bass player played a beat up japanese P copy (the kind with a weird chrome bucker) and a 2x10 cab with a little hartke head I think, they were in a small venue but he was heard and sounded good.