I'm deciding that I'm going to upgrade my amp and I will probably buy it used so I can try to get higher quality equipment for less cuz I have a limited budget, around $400. I live in Northern Virginia, and I am looking at getting a metal styled half stack or combo amp (either would be tube).

My biggest question is that I don't know exactly what I should be looking at to make sure what I'm getting wouldn't be defective at all because they will just be trying to sell it and might bend the truth. For instance, one person I am considering buying from told me that all 4 of the speakers in the cab work but then that got me thinking, maybe the speakers themselves could be fine but the tubes are not 100%.

So if you have any advise I'd love to hear it.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
You could probably swing a used peavey 5150/6505 or bugera 6262 for that. They're gained towards metal. You don't really need a stack truthfully.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I think I saw a used 6202+ that I was also looking at but I'm not really sure exactly how to assess them without really seeing them and playing them. The two that I pretty much got down to were the Peavey 6202+ combo amp with 1x12 and a Randall head with Randall cab with 4x12. And they both were for the same price.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Quote by NortonDevon
I think I saw a used 6202+ that I was also looking at but I'm not really sure exactly how to assess them without really seeing them and playing them. The two that I pretty much got down to were the Peavey 6202+ combo amp with 1x12 and a Randall head with Randall cab with 4x12. And they both were for the same price.

Oh my head hurts.

Do you mean Bugera 6202, or Peavey 6505?

For your budget, I would get the Vypyr Tube 60 with a sanpera II footswitch, both used.

I think the XXX might be in your price range, not sure.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Oh I'm sorry, I mean the Peavey.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Oh my head hurts.

Do you mean Bugera 6202, or Peavey 6505?

For your budget, I would get the Vypyr Tube 60 with a sanpera II footswitch, both used.

I think the XXX might be in your price range, not sure.

Too many numbers thats for sure
I haven't seen that many XXX's recently but I agree that it would be a good amp to check out. The only thing about the Vypyr is that it's a modeling amp. Might be a better idea if you want to be able to cover multiple styles with one amp.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
just ask them:

'is the amp 100% functional with no problems?'
'has it had any problems in the past?'
etc.

if you're buying on ebay, you can see the sellers feedback rating

you could also ask if you could come over and inspect / play it before buying it.
---
So in your opinions, would the Peavey 6505+ or the Vyper Tube 60 be a better choice?
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Quote by NortonDevon
So in your opinions, would the Peavey 6505+ or the Vyper Tube 60 be a better choice?

6505+ would be better, but probably not available for $400?

Vypyr tube 60 would be OK, but you gotta crank that power amp to get the tube benefit. Tube pre-amp is a better way to go, but budgets don't always allow for the ideal.

Do you have the means to transport a half-stack? Mine won't fit in my car and it's not practical to throw in the back of an open pickup truck. I have to transport drums that don't fit either, so I got a trailer. That cost more than the half-stack, but less than the drums.
do you every play along with a drummer or do you just play at home?

in other words, low volume or loud as hell?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
make a low but not insulting offer and take either a first or second counter he gives. if you don't do that you may as well hand him an extra $20 bill or two.

however if the listing says "firm" respect the seller and don't make an offer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Any time you buy a new tube amp you should buy new tubes. Even if it doesn't need them you will need spares and how would you know how it really should sound if you haven't tried it with fresh tubes. The age of the tubes should be of no concern to you at all.

As for speakers just look at them. Worn out speakers are obvious even to the eye. If they work the electrical part is still ok, the only thing that goes off are the cones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 3, 2012,
Used Valveking? Speaker swap, tube swap, OD pedal, dummy jack mod. Simple shit.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Tell us what kind of music you're going to be playing, specifically. What bands are you trying to sound like? That makes a huge difference in what we should recommend.

Besides that, you can't go wrong with a Vypyr Tube.

I'm not sure if I'd even recommend anything else in your budget, TBH. Metal amps are a lot more expensive, relatively, than other styles. Amps that are good for metal don't really start appearing until the $500-600+ range, even used.

Again, depending on exactly what kind of metal you're playing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Vypyr Tube. I've heard (Have not tested personally) that if you put a 6505 combo and the Vypyr tube on the 6505 setting side by side, they're essentially indistinguishable.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Last edited by souperman08 at Jan 3, 2012,
Quote by souperman08
Vypyr Tube. I've heard (Have not tested personally) that if you put a 6505 combo and the Vypyr tube on the 6505 setting side by side, they're essentially indistinguishable.

Bollocks. They sound pretty good but they don't sound the same.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Bollocks. They sound pretty good but they don't sound the same.

Like I said, haven't done it personally. I was surprised by how decent the tube Vypyr was, and I've never been blown away by the 6505 combo, so it didn't seem unrealistic to me.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by jetwash69
6505+ would be better, but probably not available for $400?

Vypyr tube 60 would be OK, but you gotta crank that power amp to get the tube benefit. Tube pre-amp is a better way to go, but budgets don't always allow for the ideal.

Do you have the means to transport a half-stack? Mine won't fit in my car and it's not practical to throw in the back of an open pickup truck. I have to transport drums that don't fit either, so I got a trailer. That cost more than the half-stack, but less than the drums.

The counter to that would be, if you want power valve overdrive, you have to drive the shit out of any tube amp. Including the 6505. But the whole point of high gain valve and modeling amps is to have the majority of the tone shaping happening in the preamp (or model) section. At TV competing volume, the vypyr 60 probably will sound better than a 6505 half stack. The vypyr I tried a couple weeks ago definitely didn't sound as muffled and lifeless as my 6505 does at that volume.

You should be able to fit a half stack in most cars that have a decent sized trunk. My mesa 4x12 fits in the trunk of a civic. Put your head and guitars in the back seat. And fill up the trink with all your other stuff! but you don't need a half stack to be metal. A good 1x12 combo and mic will do the job
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
The counter to that would be, if you want power valve overdrive, you have to drive the shit out of any tube amp. Including the 6505. But the whole point of high gain valve and modeling amps is to have the majority of the tone shaping happening in the preamp (or model) section. At TV competing volume, the vypyr 60 probably will sound better than a 6505 half stack. The vypyr I tried a couple weeks ago definitely didn't sound as muffled and lifeless as my 6505 does at that volume.

You should be able to fit a half stack in most cars that have a decent sized trunk. My mesa 4x12 fits in the trunk of a civic. Put your head and guitars in the back seat. And fill up the trink with all your other stuff! but you don't need a half stack to be metal. A good 1x12 combo and mic will do the job

You're right, he needs...

A FULL STACK!
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
You're right, he needs...

A FULL STACK!

That's the answer to all of life's questions!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Offworld92
Tell us what kind of music you're going to be playing, specifically. What bands are you trying to sound like? That makes a huge difference in what we should recommend.

Again, depending on exactly what kind of metal you're playing.

I'd be trying to replicate bands like August Burns Red, A Day To Remember, Parkway Drive and Bring Me The Horizon
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Quote by NortonDevon
I'd be trying to replicate bands like August Burns Red, A Day To Remember, Parkway Drive and Bring Me The Horizon

3/4 of those bands are sponsored by Peavey, and play 6505s.

http://www.peavey.com/artists/
I think the Vypyr 60 sounds better than the 6505+112 and hella more versatile. It can get a little 'digitally' around the edges but most of that can be dialed out. It has an analog front end btw and yes, most of what you play is preamp gain. The Vypyr is def more bedroom friendly but may not be as gig friendly.
Quote by NortonDevon

*sigh*
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by NortonDevon

My biggest question is that I don't know exactly what I should be looking at to make sure what I'm getting wouldn't be defective ...

So if you have any advise I'd love to hear it.

Bring a more experienced/knowledgeable friend! Bring your own guitar and cable.
Quote by DarthV

My tube amp is a Marshall JVM 410h. From 0 - .25 (master volume, with channel vols and gains dimed) you can't hear it at all. From .25 - 2 it's got great tone and won't make you deaf in the first 15 minutes. Above 3 is too loud for any venue I've played, even going through 1x10 cab. It sounds just as good plugged direct into a PA or recording console from the emulated speaker out without even turning on the power section. I've tried cranking the master volume with lower channel volumes, but there wasn't any point.

I cranked the master volume once to 10, and the tone stayed the same, but it literally shook tab books off the shelf across the room in under a minute.

4x12 cabs may fit in a lot of cars, especially 4-doors and hatchbacks, but they won't fit in an SN95 Mustang chassis unless it's a convertible with the top down. I doubt they'd fit in a current generation 'Stang, either. Not enough space between the tail lights, not enough deck lenght on the trunk, and the console gets in the way of fitting it into the back seat.
Quote by EspTro
*sigh*

+1

A 6505/5150 will do just fine, maybe a boost and a noise gate
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by DarthV

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think the Vypyr 60 sounds better than the 6505+112 and hella more versatile. It can get a little 'digitally' around the edges but most of that can be dialed out. It has an analog front end btw and yes, most of what you play is preamp gain. The Vypyr is def more bedroom friendly but may not be as gig friendly.

+1 to both of these. I own a Vypyr Tube, and just recently got rid of my 5150.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by NortonDevon

Quote by gregs1020
do you every play along with a drummer or do you just play at home?

in other words, low volume or loud as hell?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.