i really love Yamaha's earliest classical guitars, especially the ones made at the Nippon Gakki factory. i have had this one for a year or so. it is sitting around. it is my fifth nippon gakki. it was painted with silver probably out of a rattle can, then brushed over with black paint, presumably some form of oil based paint. i saw it on craigslist for $40, but got him down to $15... lol. i have put hours into sanding it. with everything from a random orbital to a belt sander, plus a ton of elbow grease. i have taken it so far down that i am concerned that the top is getting too thin, and some of that paint is just simply going to have to stay there.

what would you do?

i am thinking at this point to just sand the sides and back (which oddly are in decent shape) and just lacquer the whole guitar as is with the black and silver on the top because the top is getting too thin in places to get most of that shit off.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Picklelerner
put some strings on it and convince people that its an aged vintage model

that is pretty much it. i guess tell them its a relic of a silver burst??? lol
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
keep sanding it. the darker wood-colored areas are where there is still finish. if you really arent comfortable with the top, then i would do a burst paintjob. It looks like all the black paint you cant get off is towards the outside of the guitar, so it might work. The thing about classical guitars is that they have nylon strings, which stretch a lot, and dont really have nearly as much tension on them as a regular steel stringed guitar. Most of the time on nylon stringed guitars the neck-heel separates from the body before anything happens to the top.
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
Quote by reed12321
keep sanding it. the darker wood-colored areas are where there is still finish. if you really arent comfortable with the top, then i would do a burst paintjob. It looks like all the black paint you cant get off is towards the outside of the guitar, so it might work. The thing about classical guitars is that they have nylon strings, which stretch a lot, and dont really have nearly as much tension on them as a regular steel stringed guitar. Most of the time on nylon stringed guitars the neck-heel separates from the body before anything happens to the top.

i have sanded the top too thin for comfort already. some how it is there and the whole guitar has a completely flat top. you could close your eyes and feel it and know it was flat. i dont know.

i think its just going to get some lacquer.

i do not know what kind of paint that is, but whatever that idiot did didn't think about taking it off. ever. the paint is like a tar almost. i am not going to paint it, i only like natural finished classicals.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Picklelerner
put some strings on it and convince people that its an aged vintage model

it is from the 60's. it is vintage
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!