Not sure if this goes here and it's probably been done (I looked and found nothing, but I only looked on the first pages. If you don't like it then that's just too bad.) Regardless, I recently joined a local band that has done shows before and stuff and is well established. They knew there was a show coming up when I joined and made me aware, and I'm doing pretty well, but this show (Battle of the bands style) carries a lot of weight because if we win we can play a show with bands such as We Came As Romans, Woe is me, The Black Dahlia Murder and Whitechapel. I just want to hear about other people's first show experiences and tips for making me not sucking the wiener at my first show.
Tl;dr First show. Stories and first show tips are relevant.
Played at a crappy, non-air-conditioned venue called The Mixtape in downtown Grand Rapids. It was in mid-spring, and even though it was only about 60 degrees outside, the place was absolutely molten.

We got up and played a quick 5 song set. We weren't very good at the time (had only been playing a few months) and everyone said my voice sounded kind of shaky, and that I was too quiet. To be fair, the sound mixing there was not amazing, but I was kind of nervous too. All in all, it was okay, but nothing memorably good or bad.

Tips:
- Do something fun before the show to take the nerves off (after practicing, though). As added benefit, you will all become better friends and a tighter musical group.
- The lights are going to be very bright, and very hot. Dress conservatively and comfortably.
- If you're singing: Lots of support, lots of confidence. People will pick up on it if you're unsure.
- Just guitar: Just get out there and move. Be a little cocky, and have fun. If you're too serious, it's hard for people to enjoy your music. Don't worry about screwing up a little.
- Talk to the crowd.
- Interact with your bandmates.

Since you're playing in an already established band; just focus on playing your part well, interacting with the other people in your band, and having a good time. You guys will do great.

IF THERE IS VOTING INVOLVED IN YOUR BOTB:
Make sure you remind the audience to vote for their favorite band before leaving. In my band's biggest high school BOTB, we got a huge entourage to come and support us, but they all left after we finished without voting. As a result, we got 2nd place in judging but 8th in voting, and placed 4th overall. We didn't win anything.
Last edited by Rockford_rocks at Jan 3, 2012,
It will be hot up there like Rockford said, and I personally brought a fan and bottles of water up onstage.
Be sure to interact with your fans, I do the vocals and played bass and when I wasn't singing I was interacting with fans and moving around onstage.
Lastly, usually after the first song the jitters go away, at least they did for me.
Actually people told me I'm a born frontman, not to brag to much
XBL Gamertag:thor7861
message me you're from UG first

I can't think of anything to put here

Last edited by columbianneckti at Jan 3, 2012,
I played in a coffee shop twice. Twas fun. Decided that I don't like my voice and only like to play guitar for fun.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Jr. high talent show I played guitar and harmonica in a band. I've got the video right here, I'd show you guys but it's too embarrassing.
Quote by due 07
Jr. high talent show I played guitar and harmonica in a band. I've got the video right here, I'd show you guys but it's too embarrassing.

show us please
Quote by jeremessmore
if we win we can play a show with bands such as We Came As Romans, Woe is me, The Black Dahlia Murder and Whitechapel.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
You should be fine as long as you play your part well and don't act like a stick in the mud when you're on stage. Have fun with it, and you'll have a great time.

Good thing you're band is already well established or you'd have more to be nervous about. Usually it's hard for a band to get the crowd into it if there's hardly anyone there to support them. Especially for the genre your band seems to be in.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
My first show was at a church, gospel music, C Am F G lol wut? So I got the nerves eased. Then I played for my jazz band and was a bit nervous, but I believe being nervous results from lack of confidence. Do you know your songs? Do you like your songs? If you answered yes to both then you're all good dawg. People went there to hear you play music. Not to judge you. And the guys that do judge, don't worry about them, you're the one playing the show!
played a botb. won 1st. opened for hip hop star j. cole as a prize

i had just turned in a a big essay and was on top of the world then i took a big dump before the show and it went well. so i agree: do something fun and relaxing first. practice as much as possible leading up to the show. don't wanna be sloppy.

and be likeable. don't act like youre better than the other bands. give them credit even where it isn't due when you talk to the crowd. smile etc. normal people don't want grumpy selfish assholes to win anything [most of the time].

(sorry for such generic advice)
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Last edited by jiminizzle at Jan 3, 2012,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My first show was at a church, gospel music, C Am F G lol wut? So I got the nerves eased. Then I played for my jazz band and was a bit nervous, but I believe being nervous results from lack of confidence. Do you know your songs? Do you like your songs? If you answered yes to both then you're all good dawg. People went there to hear you play music. Not to judge you. And the guys that do judge, don't worry about them, you're the one playing the show!

I played for my school's jazz band for four years lol. I just consider this to be something different entirely because like you asked, I know the sings and I love the songs. But the local music scene in my town is all about people judging you, even if you aren't in a band. Bunch of scenieweenie****faces.
I haven't played with a working band in years.
But, I do have a "First Gig with a new band" story.

The story of the token white boy in an all Mexican band.

No we didn't play mariachi music.
We played Cumbias and Rancheras
And also quite a bit of old country and 50's - 60's Rock (I did guitar and lead vocals for House Of The Rising Sun. The only time I sang lead).

How it started....
I come home from work one day, and my roommate is sitting on couch drinking bears with 2 Mexican guys.
Dunno where my roommate ran into them, I never asked.
Anyway, these 2 guy are a bassist/keyboardist/singer and a drummer/singer.
I didn't know at the time, but this band was fairly well known locally.
My roommate had told them that I played guitar.
That was on a Tuesday.
First practice was the next day, Wednesday. Then Thursday and Friday.
Keep in mind, this type of music I had never even heard of before.
This was around the time when Motley Crue released "Shout At The Devil"
And it was the Los Angeles area, so I was more of a hard rock/hair metal (without the crazy hair and makeup) kind of player.
That Friday was our first gig.
The guitarist I was replacing, played his final gig that Friday.
I played with them to get a feel for the music
For my next gig, I was gonna be on my own.
The following Thursday (with practices EVERY NIGHT), we get a gig for that Saturday night. A last minute hustle by our drummer (who was also sort of our manager) go is that gig.
I was surprised when We got there, huge venue, over 2000 people there.
It was a great gig.

TL;DR first gig was in front of 2000 people playing a musical style I hadn't even heard of before 2 weeks prior.

(before anyone says anything about me calling them Mexicans, both of them were born in Mexico).

Now, picture Mick Mars, playing with Los Lobos
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 3, 2012,
Quote by jeremessmore
if we win we can play a show with bands such as We Came As Romans, Woe is me, The Black Dahlia Murder and Whitechapel.

My advice is to just stay home until you can win a chance to play a show with good bands.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
My first gig was in a non-air conditioned dive bar in the south in the summer with only one industrial fan in the middle. As in, it wasn't over the stage. And the crowd was a bunch of college pricks that probably would have wanted to hear something like oasis or dave matthews.

Instead they got doomy/sludgy fuzzed out riff madness with me on bass and backup vox.

We ended up playing gigs with the sound tech who was in some kind of metal core-ish band. So we sort of fit right in that crowd. He let us play that night to see if we would fit in playing with his band. It was technically an open mic night but he didn't get enough generic acoustic whiny hippies to fill up the time.

I wasn't nervous. Just went up there turned on the fuzz pedal and let my miced 215 destroy the bar. When I soundchecked it was the first time I had ever played a note for a crowd. Lots of the people there jumped in their seats. It was glorious.
I played one song on guitar at a charity thing at my school. We were gonna play Your Betrayal by Bullet For My Valentine, but I pointed out that we didn't have a drummer (it was me on guitar and backing vox and two lead singers for some reason), there would be small children in the audience and that it's a shit song.

We ended up playing Hey, Soul Sister by Train (which is shit, but there's only four chords so I could master it in one night). Like I said, I only learned it the night before, but we ****ing killed it. We got the most audience reaction out of all the performers, and apart from a brief moment when I nearly dropped my pick (Jazz IIIs are tiny!) we performed note perfect.

This was in front of a crowd of about 250 people, and I was ecstatic at the end.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
My first show wasn't really a band experience but was solo so I was pretty nervous. I played in front of maybe 150 people and knew the song perfectly but I'm going to be completely honest, nerves got the best of me. I remember that I began fairly strongly but then I made a few mistakes and did a decent job recovering. But then there was one section where I played things that weren't even part of the song. It was reaally rough haha. But afterwards everybody thought that I was really good even though it was the absolutely worst (not an exaggeration at all) I've ever played that song. I mean I was expecting it to be not too great cuz it was my first time playing guitar in front of a crowd but it was pretty awful haha.

I mean, once you know that you are prepared. Just try to have yourself distracted from the actual playing of the show as much as you can that day and just have fun. And after reading some of the comments before me I wish I moved around more haha.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
I did speed before my first gig and went on without any clothes. I suggest doing something similar, cause we were awesome. Course, we were just a sloppy punk rock band, but we were a sick sloppy punk rock band.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales