Page 1 of 3
"Rape" has become somewhat of a flexible term. Essentially it's simply having sex with someone, without their consent. Which as we all know is wrong and everything.

But there's different types of rape, like statutory rape, where what may seem like consent can be deemed unworthy or not genuine. Like if an adult man has sex with a 16-year-old. She might agree to it and consent, yet because of her age, people feel like she isn't old enough to consent to sex with an adult. Or a lot of people feel like if a woman has been drinking, it's wrong for a man to accept her consent because it's under the influence, and women have claimed that a man took advantage and raped them because they had sex while they were drunk.

Seduction can be pretty powerful. Obviously sometimes seduction turns out fine (similar to the alcohol thing. A sober man can sleep with a woman who has been drinking, and she's fine with it the next day). But say a guy doesn't want to have sex because religious views, or he's married with a family, etc. and a woman keeps throwing herself at him and you could say taking advantage, so he caves in and has sex? Do you think that can be considered a form of rape, similar to how we consider sex with a 16-year-old, or sex with an intoxicated person rape?

I personally am indifferent towards the semantics of the word "rape" and this issue, but I do think that for somebody to seduce and take advantage of someone else, knowing they initially don't want sex, and will regret it later, it's just as immoral and scumbag as say an adult having sex with someone underage (by underage, I'm not talking children, I'm talking like 16 or 17).
This thread has raped my eyes. You will hear from my lawyer.

Rape implies non-consent or, in the case of statutory rape, not being able to legally give consent. If you're drunk, you cannot legally consent (correct me if I'm wrong). If someone seduces you in any other situation and you cave in, it's not rape in my opinion.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Jan 3, 2012,
i wouldn't say so

Rape is without consent, seduction is persuading someone into giving consent. If you've successfully seduced someone, you have their consent.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
No. If you're seduced into sex and regret it later, oh well. You weren't drunk or drugged or something like that.

inb4 someone says hormones are like drugs
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by MakinLattes
This thread has raped my eyes. You will hear from my lawyer.

Rape implies non-consent or, in the case of statutory rape, not being able to legally give consent. If you're drunk, you cannot legally consent (correct me if I'm wrong). If someone seduces you in any other situation and you cave in, it's not rape in my opinion.

But the person chose to get drunk in the first place, shouldn't they accept some responsibility?
Quote by izbbass
No. If you're seduced into sex and regret it later, oh well.
You can easily just say "If you get drunk, sleep with someone and regret it later, oh well."
Quote by TOMMYB22
i wouldn't say so

Rape is without consent, seduction is persuading someone into giving consent. If you've successfully seduced someone, you have their consent.

I agree with this.

Seduction isn't very respectable, but it's certainly not a crime in my eyes.
Quote by spitonastranger
But the person chose to get drunk in the first place, shouldn't they accept some responsibility?

The onus would be on the sober person taking advantage of the drunk one.
If we're playing devil's advocate on this one, seduction could be seen as long-term coercion.
Quote by fatmysummer
Can seduction be considered rape? Can geico save you 15% or more on car insurance?

No, and yes.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by spitonastranger

I don't think rape is ever the responsibility of the victim (when non-consensual).
No. It's not rape.
Why?
Because she consents. That is the difference.
She WANTS to go to bed with you. Regardless of whether you seduce her or not, she WANTS to.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by seeneyj
She WANTS to go to bed with you. Regardless of whether you seduce her or not, she WANTS to.
Just like a drunk chick wanted to go to bed with you, or a girl underage wanted to go to bed with you.
Seduction does not alter the ability to make a decision. Being drunk alters your decision, being too young makes you less informed and therefore less able to make the right decision. Seduction just gives more reason to make the decision to have sex.
Guy: "you... you... have really pretty eyes" *blushes*
Girl: "RAPE! OMG RAAAAAPE!"

and that ^
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
So by your definition if I'm 19 and my GF is 16 you consider it rape when we have sex? Stuff like that pisses me off.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
So by your definition if I'm 19 and my GF is 16 you consider it rape when we have sex? Stuff like that pisses me off.
I've heard in some places, if you're withing 3 years of age or something like that, then it's fine.
Quote by MakinLattes
I don't think rape is ever the responsibility of the victim (when non-consensual).

That's circular logic. It wouldn't be rape if you agreed that the drunk person was still responsible for her decisions because she made the decision to get drunk in the first place. Of course if you're raped while drunk it's completely different to giving consent while drunk that you later regret.

I side with Due but i think there are times where the drunk person needs to accept some responsibility for their actions.
Quote by The Madcap
Just like a drunk chick wanted to go to bed with you, or a girl underage wanted to go to bed with you.

She has complete control over the outcome, she can choose whether she wants to go to bed with you. So what if the odds are tipped in your favour?

It isn't morally wrong to pick up chicks, it's what we were born to do.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

So are yuo dating that girl now or what?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
In some places what? Why would our intimate sex be considered rape by anyone? That false judgement and disrespectful to me and my GF. It's not like a one night stand, that is plausable and understandable, but you don't know that, and it doesn't give you the right to call it rape. Rape in my opinion involves taking advantage. By physical force or intoxication or by mentally covincing, those are considered rape. A couple that happens to have an age difference is not rape. A 19 year old is not some creepy adult going after a kid, it is a teenager just out of high school dating someone half way thru high school. I bring this up because I have gotte shit before, and feelings get hurt.
Quote by The Madcap
You can easily just say "If you get drunk, sleep with someone and regret it later, oh well."

Yup, and that's why I have the opinion that neither case removes consent from either party involved. My judgment is impaired when I'm drunk, but not enough that I feel I should be legally freed of any consequences for my action. If I get drunk and steal a car or kill someone, I will be held legally responsible, thus in my mind getting drunk and having sex with someone should still leave one in legal control.
Quote by bradulator
So are yuo dating that girl now or what?

I can't believe you remembered no we talked about it, Wev kissed a few times and decided we are going to fast and want to get to know each other a little bit more before we date. But we just spent the day having hella fun in san fran and its going very well
Quote by The Madcap

If you get drunk, sleep with someone and regret it later, oh well.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
In some places what? Why would our intimate sex be considered rape by anyone? That false judgement and disrespectful to me and my GF. It's not like a one night stand, that is plausable and understandable, but you don't know that, and it doesn't give you the right to call it rape. Rape in my opinion involves taking advantage. By physical force or intoxication or by mentally covincing, those are considered rape. A couple that happens to have an age difference is not rape. A 19 year old is not some creepy adult going after a kid, it is a teenager just out of high school dating someone half way thru high school. I bring this up because I have gotte shit before, and feelings get hurt.

It's statuatory rape though prolly. So if you do it make sure nobody knows or else you're a child rapist.

Quote by thatguy
I can't believe you remembered

I'm 19 and have suffered the same age difference. I know all bout dem little ones.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

It's not rape-rape, it's statutory rape. I'm not sure if it's really a big deal or not where you live, though.
West Ham United
Quote by spitonastranger
That's circular logic. It wouldn't be rape if you agreed that the drunk person was still responsible for her decisions because she made the decision to get drunk in the first place. Of course if you're raped while drunk it's completely different to giving consent while drunk that you later regret.

I side with Due but i think there are times where the drunk person needs to accept some responsibility for their actions.

I said that legally you cannot consent when you're drunk, and that's just something I heard and I'm not sure if it's true or not. I never said that was my opinion.
Quote by MakinLattes
I said that legally you cannot consent when you're drunk, and that's just something I heard and I'm not sure if it's true or not. I never said that was my opinion.

In regards to alcohol consent is only vitilated in specific circumstances. The court has to rule that the complainant was so intoxicated that he or she could not possibly have comprehended the significance of giving consent. It's not just "I had a couple martini's and agreed to get funky with the smelly janitor and regret it now". Also, where the accused has a mistaken but honest belief in consent and that belief is held on reasonable grounds, they cannot be convicted, since there is a lack of mens rea.

You're partially right, but there are important aspects that are being ignored.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Three year cap, bro. Most places use it.

It's not by his definition. It's the definition set by many states and countries.

EDIT: You're seriously butthurt about this. Get over it. I did almost the same thing and caught shit for it. Then I got over it. It's not statutory rape, especially if the age of consent where you live is 16. You're acting like it's a social definition. It's a legal definition.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jan 3, 2012,
What part about it is considered rape? 16 year olds uses to be married with kids back in the day. Maturity is definitely a factor, but thats up to the couple themselves to work out. I'm obviously just offended and dont agree with the terminology.. It's still hurtful to hear someone say that its rape, that's sury understandable.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
What part about it is considered rape? 16 year olds uses to be married with kids back in the day. Maturity is definitely a factor, but thats up to the couple themselves to work out. I'm obviously just offended and dont agree with the terminology.. It's still hurtful to hear someone say that its rape, that's sury understandable.

I love you bro... but you're a rapist.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Seduce : Rape

Free will : Slavery

Next time you decide to make a thread and you notice words in the title, use a dictionary.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Dude calm down, you meet the three year cap you're not a rapist.

The law exists to stop 20 year olds convincing 12 year olds that sex is awesome and bangin' em like a drum. They have to set the cap somewhere and for whatever reason a lot of places think 16 is about right. Some girls are mature enough to consent at a younger age and some aren't even ready at 16. Law aint perfect.
Quote by spitonastranger
Dude calm down, you meet the three year cap you're not a rapist.

The law exists to stop 20 year olds convincing 12 year olds that sex is awesome and bangin' em like a drum. They have to set the cap somewhere and for whatever reason a lot of places think 16 is about right. Some girls are mature enough to consent at a younger age and some aren't even ready at 16. Law aint perfect.

I AM CALM BRO! I'M ****ING CALM! I COULDN'T GET ANY CALMER THAN THIS WITHOUT REACHING ABSOLUTE ZERO FROM LACK OF UNCALMNESS!
its all good. I'm just overreacring. But for imput on the thread, I said my definition of rape. Seduction as sexy as it may be, does not involve force, or intoxication. It does involve emotional force, or however you want to word it. But it should not be considered rape, just poor judgement. If you have a family and everything then it is up to you and you only to choose whose vagina you put your penis in.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Depending on the state, yes. It's rape.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

It's the law dude. Plenty of states where consent cannot be given until 16 years old, some states is 17. She can literally beg you to **** her, and if you do, you can go to jail and have a criminal record as well as placed on the registered sex offenders list.

Sounds like you ignored the RT thread though, amirite?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
It's the law dude. Plenty of states where consent cannot be given until 16 years old, some states is 17. She can literally beg you to **** her, and if you do, you can go to jail and have a criminal record as well as placed on the registered sex offenders list.

Sounds like you ignored the RT thread though, amirite?

Listen to the pit or get in a pit, which would you choose? Tap that window before it closes I guess.
Page 1 of 3