Hello,
Here I am with another post asking you to suggest gear. By the advice of a few members, I now have a head that I like more than my old jcm 900.
Its a splawn quick rod and its a great amp, but getting it made me realize that my speakers in my 1960 cab (G12T - 75's) has a lot to do with my tone. I didn't know it, but apparently they are very aggressive sounding speakers, which is the opposite of what I want out of a cab. Metal/heavy distortion just isn't my thing.

I should say that I play in a band so I need something that can get loud. I'm big on cleans, so something that will be able to handle cleans at high volume and resonate and ring out well, instead of having a lot of break up and flat sounding notes. I usually play on my bridge pickup, my tone is usually pretty high. Ignore anything that has to do with distortion, my amp has that covered. I will probably end up going for a 4x12.

I don't know what other details I can give, I don't know much as much about speakers as I'd like to. Feel free to suggest different types of speakers! I dont think the brand of cabinets matter all that much.

Thanks!
Last edited by andyhatescrass at Jan 3, 2012,
Im more interested in different kinds of speakers. Fixed the title.

If you really think it would help you can suggest cabinet brands.
Quote by andyhatescrass
Im more interested in different kinds of speakers. Fixed the title.

If you really think it would help you can suggest cabinet brands.

Um, I did. The Splawn Small or Big Block speakers. I've heard they make the amps that much better.
Haha, oh. I thought you were asking a question, people sometimes ignore punctuation :/. One of my friends actually has a splawn 4x12, not sure whats in it. Sounds like they are worth looking into
Google avatar speakers and go from there
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Google avatar speakers and go from there

I actually checked out their website to see what they had available and was pretty impressed with how affordable their traditional 4x12's were, i just wasn't sure about speakers. They had these available:

Celestion: Vintage 30s,*G12H30s, G12T75s,* Greenbacks,* Classic Lead 80s, Hellatone 30s, Hellatone 60s and G12K100s*

Eminence Governors, Wizards, Private Jacks, Swamp Thangs

All for the same price.
If you were to choose out of these?
Probably Vintage 30's or Greenbacks. Check out Celestion's website for more info.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I lean toward having a matched head and cab. Its just classy. You should probably find out what speaker your amp was voiced on. It'll more than likely sound best out of that one.

Celestian's web site is awesome. Yeah v30 or greenback!

For that price you could look into port city cabs as well. I didn't know anything about ported cabs until recently and when I plugged into one, it blew my mind! Definitely at least worth a look.
Quote by andyhatescrass
I actually checked out their website to see what they had available and was pretty impressed with how affordable their traditional 4x12's were, i just wasn't sure about speakers. They had these available:

Celestion: Vintage 30s,*G12H30s, G12T75s,* Greenbacks,* Classic Lead 80s, Hellatone 30s, Hellatone 60s and G12K100s*

Eminence Governors, Wizards, Private Jacks, Swamp Thangs

All for the same price.
If you were to choose out of these?

Howdy,

I too have a Splawn Quick Rod and have a bit of experience with these so I'll give you my .311 cents.

From everything I've gleaned (mostly from Splawn board and Rig Talk) is that the Splawns do not pair well with Vintage 30s. Unless for some reason you need MOAR mids on top of the heaps that are already there

But if you want cleans, loud and high gain then I would def recommend some higher wattage speakers with a frequency range that works best. If you don't feel like monkeying around with that then you pretty much can't go wrong with Splawn Small Blocks 55w.

Now Avatar, is a great company. They make decent mid range cabs. I had a Traditional closed back 2x12. Contact Dave there if you want to learn more about what might work best for you. He owns the company I believe. There are probably better cabs out there (ie Mesa, Mills, Splawn, Port City, etc) but they are decent none the less. I've got a pic of the 'guts' if you want to see it.

My Avatar was paired with a G12H30 (55htz I think) and a Classic Lead 80. I was originally going to go with V30s but changed my mind based on above reason and decided to be different. Plus that gave me some different recording nuances. I sold it to Gregs1020 and he may have parted it out but I thought it was a good combination. Remember, whatever you do make sure you have enough watts. In a 4x12 cab if you had 2 - 100 watt speakers and 2 - 30 watt speakers the combination will 'dumb' down to the lowest wattage (ie 30 x 4). Running that with a 100 watt amp would probably be sufficient. Now 4 - Small Block 55s would be 220 watts of cab capacity.

So back to Splawn I would say please look at Splawn cabs as well. They are very reasonably priced and pretty top notch. I now have a Splawn 2x12 with Small Blocks. Awesome tone. They really pair well with these amps. Granted, they may be a bit voiced toward hard rock (ie Brown sound) but worth consideration. Like all speakers, it sounds even better now that they are broken in. My 2x12 costs me $575 but I had custom tolex. The Avatar 2x12 was $400 by comparison. If you want to learn more about this option then I'd suggest you join or lurk on the splawnproboards http://splawnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi
There is a lot of talk about Small Blocks and other good speakers to use there. Also, use the Look Up link in my sig to find used cabs.

Here is a small snippet from the Splawn web site:

Speakers - custom made for Splawn by Eminence

Big Block
Similar to a G12H30 Heritage
60 watts, 16 ohms

Small Block
Similar to a G12M Heritage
55 watts, 16 ohms

------
Otherwise, I think you should look at the higher wattage stuff like a G12K100 or Classic Lead 80 type combo.

I have a tad bit of experience with Eminence (Man O War, Lady Luck) though and I think if I went Avatar, I'd look at their branded Hellatone copies as well.

Hope that helps a bit

tl;dr

Don't get Vintage 30s. Go Splawn or go home
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Howdy,

I too have a Splawn Quick Rod and have a bit of experience with these so I'll give you my .311 cents.

From everything I've gleaned (mostly from Splawn board and Rig Talk) is that the Splawns do not pair well with Vintage 30s. Unless for some reason you need MOAR mids on top of the heaps that are already there

But if you want cleans, loud and high gain then I would def recommend some higher wattage speakers with a frequency range that works best. If you don't feel like monkeying around with that then you pretty much can't go wrong with Splawn Small Blocks 55w.

Now Avatar, is a great company. They make decent mid range cabs. I had a Traditional closed back 2x12. Contact Dave there if you want to learn more about what might work best for you. He owns the company I believe. There are probably better cabs out there (ie Mesa, Mills, Splawn, Port City, etc) but they are decent none the less. I've got a pic of the 'guts' if you want to see it.

My Avatar was paired with a G12H30 (55htz I think) and a Classic Lead 80. I was originally going to go with V30s but changed my mind based on above reason and decided to be different. Plus that gave me some different recording nuances. I sold it to Gregs1020 and he may have parted it out but I thought it was a good combination. Remember, whatever you do make sure you have enough watts. In a 4x12 cab if you had 2 - 100 watt speakers and 2 - 30 watt speakers the combination will 'dumb' down to the lowest wattage (ie 30 x 4). Running that with a 100 watt amp would probably be sufficient. Now 4 - Small Block 55s would be 220 watts of cab capacity.

So back to Splawn I would say please look at Splawn cabs as well. They are very reasonably priced and pretty top notch. I now have a Splawn 2x12 with Small Blocks. Awesome tone. They really pair well with these amps. Granted, they may be a bit voiced toward hard rock (ie Brown sound) but worth consideration. Like all speakers, it sounds even better now that they are broken in. My 2x12 costs me $575 but I had custom tolex. The Avatar 2x12 was $400 by comparison. If you want to learn more about this option then I'd suggest you join or lurk on the splawnproboards http://splawnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi
There is a lot of talk about Small Blocks and other good speakers to use there. Also, use the Look Up link in my sig to find used cabs.

Here is a small snippet from the Splawn web site:

Speakers - custom made for Splawn by Eminence

Big Block
Similar to a G12H30 Heritage
60 watts, 16 ohms

Small Block
Similar to a G12M Heritage
55 watts, 16 ohms

------
Otherwise, I think you should look at the higher wattage stuff like a G12K100 or Classic Lead 80 type combo.

I have a tad bit of experience with Eminence (Man O War, Lady Luck) though and I think if I went Avatar, I'd look at their branded Hellatone copies as well.

Hope that helps a bit

tl;dr

Don't get Vintage 30s. Go Splawn or go home

Thanks for the info man! Ill keep this all in mind.

I have to say, i want to lean towards another type of cab that isnt a splawn. Its not that i dont trust their credibility. For some reason, i feel like its not for me, it doesn't seem like they would be voiced for the kind of cleans i want. I'd prefer as little gain as possible.

Would speakers of higher wattage mean more gain? Or just more headroom for cleaner tone?
Last edited by andyhatescrass at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by Sputnik1
Splawn speakers or cab.

/thread

damn right.

with the exception being K-100's for a Nitro.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by andyhatescrass

I have to say, i want to lean towards another type of cab that isnt a splawn. Its not that i dont trust their credibility. For some reason, i feel like its not for me, it doesn't seem like they would be voiced for the kind of cleans i want. I'd prefer as little gain as possible.

Would speakers of higher wattage mean more gain? Or just more headroom for cleaner tone?

your call. i will own the next Splawn cab for sale in my local area that pops up on CL for a decent price.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Lol you want as little gain as possible and you play a Quick Rod. Does not compute.
TBH, I would never throw v30s behind that thing. Only amps they work for are the super dark ones, a la 6505/dual rectumfryer.

Not a Splawn.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by andyhatescrass

The higher the wattage of the speaker the less speaker distortion you'll get. Generally. Therefore, I suggest high wattage speakers like the G12K100 or Classic Lead 80. The Classic Lead 80 is considered pretty 'transparent' meaning it will pass along the amps distortion without adding a lot of speaker distortion or speaker 'voicing'.

Earlier, when I said 'clean, loud and high gain' I meant clean and loud with a high gain amp.

That said, if you are concerned you have 'too much' gain there are other ways to tame an amp. You have a clean channel you can rev up or down and you have Gear 1. You can also experiment with 12AT7 or 12AU7 preamp tubes.

Otherwise, the Quick Rod is a gain monster so like other have said - it may just not be the right amp for you.

What kind of music do you play primarily and can you give us some examples?
I knew at some point this question would be asked in this thread. And its definitely a weird situation that i own an amp with so much overdrive that i dont seem to use. I dont touch the od2 and od3 phases. I am content with using only od1. However, i have played my amp out of cabs that make it sound that way i want it to, and its not that the cleans sound bad, I just want to find the best possible cab/speakers that i can. I played into a friends cab yesterday, it was a marshall vintage 1960 with v30's, he thinks they are made for marshall because they have a marshall sticker on the speaker. Anyway, it sounded awesome. Im not arguing that there arent better amps out there for me though.

311: The band i am in plays music reminiscent of 90's emo/rock bands. A lot of cleans and light distortion, which i use a ts9 for. As far as musical examples go, think late 90's era jimmy eat world, at the drive in, early get up kids, mineral.
Last edited by andyhatescrass at Jan 4, 2012,
Cool.

You meant Gear 2 and Gear 3 right? Not OD2 and 3. (ie. you have a footswitch right?)

I'm usually in Gear 2, OD 2, + a boost pedal

Honestly, if you liked the V30s in that other cab then by no means am I saying don't get V30s. I'm sure you can find other dudes running their Splawns with V30 cabs that love their tone. I'm not familiar with those bands. I do know there are several flavors of Vintage 30s so maybe you can poke around a bit more as to what he has exactly. Other options would be:

Eminence Governer
WGS Vet 30
Avatar Hellatone 30 as mentioned

Those are all similar to the V30

Also maybe trashedlostfdup (Derek) will see this. He has a Pro Mod and a Nitro and has lots of cab experience.

(I'd ask in the Quick Rod section of the Splawn proboards - and I'm splawndude over there)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Cool.

You meant Gear 2 and Gear 3 right? Not OD2 and 3. (ie. you have a footswitch right?)

Honestly, if you liked the V30s in that other cab then by no means am I saying don't get V30s. I'm sure you can find other dudes running their Splawns with V30 cabs that love their tone. I'm not familiar with those bands. I do know there are several flavors of Vintage 30s so maybe you can poke around a bit more as to what he has exactly. Other options would be:

Eminence Governer
WGS Vet 30

Also maybe trashedlostfdup (Derek) will see this. He has a Pro Mod and a Nitro and has lots of cab experience.

(I'd ask in the Quick Rod section of the Splawn proboards - and I'm splawndude over there)

thank you kind sir.

i went out and picked up a mesa os cab thinking it would sound good with my Promod, got it on there and not even near the results i wanted. while having a nice solid bottom end bass, the upper mids were wayyyy to piercing highs were shrill. literally had to run the treble at zero, and dial in just a tiny bit of presence (eq's the power amp).

okay, not a big deal, i have wanted a mesa cab for a while, and now have one for some other amp.

tried it on a cab with four english T-75's slightly better than the V30's but not quite ideal. yet anyways.

i tried the Promod with English K85's (identical to k-100's just different RMS rating from celestion), and it was infinitely better.

you DO NOT want V30's with a PM/QR.

what i have the promod in now is what worked out the best. oddly a Randall 1x15"/2x12" combo with the 15" being an Eminence Legend and the 12"s being english T-75's, sounds great.

the nitro gets the K-85's and it is a beast from hell. sometimes the V30's, but IMO V-30's are much better on the Nitro than the QR/PM.

are you sure your friend had V30's in the 1960 cab? i have seen a large majority with t75's. i also believe that is what they came stock with.

buying a splawn for lower gain and cleans is certainly fine and sound great, but IMO you would be better off suited in a Fuchs ODS or similar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Cool.

Eminence Governer
WGS Vet 30

I'll give it a shot in the splawn forums. My username over there is dewg. I'm pretty sure you have helped me out there before.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thank you kind sir.

i went out and picked up a mesa os cab thinking it would sound good with my Promod, got it on there and not even near the results i wanted. while having a nice solid bottom end bass, the upper mids were wayyyy to piercing highs were shrill. literally had to run the treble at zero, and dial in just a tiny bit of presence (eq's the power amp).

okay, not a big deal, i have wanted a mesa cab for a while, and now have one for some other amp.

tried it on a cab with four english T-75's slightly better than the V30's but not quite ideal. yet anyways.

i tried the Promod with English K85's (identical to k-100's just different RMS rating from celestion), and it was infinitely better.

you DO NOT want V30's with a PM/QR.

what i have the promod in now is what worked out the best. oddly a Randall 1x15"/2x12" combo with the 15" being an Eminence Legend and the 12"s being english T-75's, sounds great.

the nitro gets the K-85's and it is a beast from hell. sometimes the V30's, but IMO V-30's are much better on the Nitro than the QR/PM.

are you sure your friend had V30's in the 1960 cab? i have seen a large majority with t75's. i also believe that is what they came stock with.

buying a splawn for lower gain and cleans is certainly fine and sound great, but IMO you would be better off suited in a Fuchs ODS or similar.

They were definitely v30's. But based on what everyone is saying about them, I don't think ill go with them. I play my qr at half power, and usually crank the clean channel with the gain around 10/11 o clock. Maybe that has something to do with why they sound decent. Not sure. I'm definitely going to look into k100's and classic 80's at this point. Seems to be what everyone is recommending. Thanks for the info by the way! You and 311 are very helpful.
Quote by andyhatescrass
They were definitely v30's. But based on what everyone is saying about them, I don't think ill go with them. I play my qr at half power, and usually crank the clean channel with the gain around 10/11 o clock. Maybe that has something to do with why they sound decent. Not sure. I'm definitely going to look into k100's and classic 80's at this point. Seems to be what everyone is recommending. Thanks for the info by the way! You and 311 are very helpful.

i really am a fan in general to the K-100's in general. the have a solid bottom end, and a slight peak in the upper mids, that is very pleasant and manageable, and will to great with a majority of high gain amps i have played. some consider them flat, but i assume they are saying that in comparison to V30's. T-75's are kind of an odd speaker IMO. however i swear that the English made speakers sound way better than the new Chinese ones, some will disagree, but i have quite a two quads of English and one pair of the new ones, and they are quite different. lead 80's i have not have had the opportunity to own (i basically pick up any cheap cab as long as it has good speakers). once they pop up for a good price on CL, they will be mine.

i still however would recommend Scott Splawn's smallblock and bigblock speakers. even though i have not seen a direct comparason. go to the Splawn forum ask around. they will know more than probably anybody here as far as Splawns go. i am on there (same user name) and so is 311.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by andyhatescrass
I'll give it a shot in the splawn forums. My username over there is dewg. I'm pretty sure you have helped me out there before.

Oh yeah. Hey Dewg!

Are you comfortable with your voltage question/issue? If not I'll summon the ol'mighty Cathbard to come in here and help if you want to paste it in here.

Quote by coolstoryangus
wut

He had a JCM 900 first and likes the QR better

I'm not familiar with the bands he mentioned but if 90's emo/rock is anything like FOB then it is punkish. The QR does have a clean channel. It may not be the sparklyist clean but it is workable.

Speaking of which, Andy, when you say cleans do you mean playing on the clean channel or getting a clean tone on Gear 1 at high volumes?
^ yeah - there are several threads on that topic. I have a JAN Phillips 5751 and can recommend it for the P.I. (V4) or V1.

I was actually going to do that but wanted to help get the cab thing sorted first

Slightly less gain, and more 'headroom' and clarity. A Tung Sol in V1 might help with the cleans too.
AcousticMirror did a bit of research and came up with this so I want to thank him for that. Based on this, I'd say you are in the right ballpark for a Quick Rod.

Quote by AcousticMirror
get up kids - the one guy is a jcm800 with a gretsch hollowbody. the other guy is a strat into a cranked ac30.

at the drive in - omar used jcm800, orange rockerverb, orange ad140htc. jim ward was jcm800 and dual recs

mineral was a jcm800 for the one guy and a bassman for the other guy

jimmy eat world used to ac30s but now is thunderverb200s and ad30s.
311: im pretty sold on everyone telling me that ill be fine running at 110. I might look into it eventually, but not now. When i say cleans i mean on the clean channel, although i do like gear 1 to have a fair amount of clarity.

I have experimented with preamp tubes to clean up tone before with my 900, havent looked into it with the splawn yet though. The tung sols in it now sound pretty good.