Poll: Is musical technicality important to you?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is musical technicality important to you?
Yes, skilled musicianship is what makes music worth listening to
27 10%
No, technicality is unnecessary wank
49 19%
Depends on the genre
94 36%
I don't have strong feelings one way or the other
88 34%
Voters: 258.
Page 1 of 3
To some people, technicality is a turn-off; to others, it's a must, What do you think?

I don't think it matters to me either way, I enjoy technical bands like Death and BtBaM just as much as I like Green Day or Pearl Jam.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
It doesn't matter to me even the slightest little bit. I love some incredibly technical music and...well, Grinderman. If it's a good song, then I start caring about the technique, but brilliant technique absolutely won't help make up for poor songwriting and musicianship.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
I like music thats technical, but it has to have some emotion in it too, it needs to sound good. Some artists let techicality overtake the emotion in the music, which sometimes makes it unappealing IMO. It also depends on the genre. I think technicality impacts modern metal alot.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Last edited by Trizek at Jan 3, 2012,
It doesn't matter to me. I'm not a music snob.

inb4 someone clicks on my last.fm link to make fun of my listening choices.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by Zoot Allures
What makes something compositionally interesting?

Unique melodies, rhythms, vocal harmonies, effects used tastefully or in new or creative ways. Whether or not the arrangement as a whole is cohesive and moving in one direction and such. Nontraditional instruments with a unique timbre I'd not be expecting.

Lots of things.
I'm a big fan of punk, noise rock and indie-synthpop type stuff so no, technicality doesn't matter at all to me.
Usually I like listening to more technical music than poppy 3-chord wonders, but depending on my mood I can also enjoy simple music. It's all depends on how I'm feeling at the moment.

I don't really care either way. I'm listening to Loveless (the album) right now, and it's not the most technically proficient stuff out there, but it's the feeling, ya diiiig?
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
for me, acoustic songs and ballads dont need as much done with technical instruments if the vocals are done within my liking. but if going to listen to death metal, then i like at least some technicality. i guess it depends on my mood.
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
It depends on what the artist is going for and how the style of music needs to be listened. Jazz and metal are listened to the same way. You hear for technicality and musician ship and skilled compositions. Where as psychadelic music is listened to ..well I don't know how to explain that. I'm not sure what makes good psychadelic vs bad. I like to hear originality and overall direction of sound and the way they mix their colours together. Pop music needs to be catchy, that's it. What makes good pop imo is originality on top of catchyness like the beatles, of Montreal or MGMT. Blues needs to have skilled musicianship with guitar improve and originality, not soul, more so needs to reflect personality, like if I hear john frusciante or buckethead or Jimi hendrix play an improv I can easily recognize their sound, its like their voice. Country...eh... Rap needs to have originality and flow and rhythm, and the lyrics have to be meaning ful to them. Note i say to them, if they like how they ****ed their gf that's fine, but if they are bragging ext making themselves look like a douche, I'm not interested. I think that covers it? Grunge....eh I don't like alternative rock, its not original, often. It's kinda bland to me. None of the things I listen for usually appears. Except pearl jam, and maybe nirvana. I just like the overall feeling and vibes they give off.
What kind of stupid ****ing question is this? The only time technicality is a blight is when it amounts to masturbatory nonsense. The former is an apt description of 100 percent of the music identified as "technical." Technicality is a tool among many with which to achieve greater purpose within a composition. Supreme art is the whole. To only focus on the parts is the mark of a Philistine.
Last edited by lilboisX3 at Jan 3, 2012,
Nnnnnooooooooope. When I listen to music I listen to what sounds good in my opinion. If something is really technical I can appreciate it, sure, but it's not something I look for.

For example take the Foo Fighter's song Up In Arms. Not a long song, quite short actually and basically just power chords. Still I enjoy it very much and the solo is probably the easiest thing next to Smells Like Teen Spirit but still it sounds good.

Just my 2 cents
Strive to play the maximum notes per second. That way you gain the admiration of the incompetent.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Depends. If I listen to Green Day or Sum 41 I don't give a shit, but if I'm listening to Protest the Hero, BTBAM, or ANimals As Leaders, it is a little more important. Though that isn't the reason I listen to those bands. It's just a small part of their music that I like.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I can appreciate technical playing sometimes, but it doesn't make or break a band for me.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 3, 2012,
Please refer to my sig for my opinion on the topic.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
My liking of an artist/band is 100% dependent on the vocals. Couldn't tell you why. If there are no vocals, technicality only matters in certain genres and even then it's far from a deciding factor.
while id rather listen to a well writte song tha a technicall one
but there are some songs that could only be done with high technical skills and are skill great music
Naaaaaah it's all 'bout the emotion maaaaaaan.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I've noticed that most of the bands I really enjoy more and more as I grow as a guitar player are more technical, but I still really enjoy my musical roots.

That said, I know that myself and a few other posters here on UG are WAY into Math Rock (Banjocal, Nicko, etc). That's pretty much the free jazz of technical music.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 3, 2012,
it really just depends. if they can make it sound interesting then yeah, but if they can't then no.you cant put a blanket statement around the whole thing.
if its yngwie malmsteen, then i find it pretty boring, but if its steve morse then i can listen to it all day everyday

like watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnHY9Txy3ms
its incredibly complex, but i enjoy listening to it more than yngwie or john petrucci
Depends. When it comes to the Mexican music I like, there's often a lack of technical ability that I think adds to the charm of the music.

With classical music, absolutely matters.

I enjoy listening to guitarists play like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG1nybhSIyw
(seriously, I have never seen a classical guitarist with such perfect technique in my life).

I don't enjoy listening to guitarists play like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbeAbllBpGo
Quote by The Madcap
Depends. When it comes to the Mexican music I like, there's often a lack of technical ability that I think adds to the charm of the music.

With classical music, absolutely matters.

I enjoy listening to guitarists play like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG1nybhSIyw
(seriously, I have never seen a classical guitarist with such perfect technique in my life).

I don't enjoy listening to guitarists play like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbeAbllBpGo

Do you enjoy listening to it or do you enjoy watching it?
Depends on how the technicality is used. For instance, I absolutely love Guthrie Govan and Protest the Hero, but Malmsteen is mindless wankery IMO. It all depends on the product that is created.

That being said, I love "simpler" music too, like Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, and the Hellacopters but I normally despise the "hipster-y" minimalist shit.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
I don't listen to music based on the technicality of it, but instead the ability of the musicians in terms of songwriting and how they use their instruments. I'd rather hear a song that is simple yet conveys a sense of good songwriting and emotion rather than hearing someone play as many notes on the guitar as they can. On the other hand, there's a difference between keeping the music simple and musicians who don't know how to use their instruments or sounds correctly, or who just put not effort into songwriting at all.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Technicality doesn't matter to me one bit, as long as it sounds good. And sure, to some people "good" means being technical, but I still voted it as unnecessary for me.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Music is their to tell a story and portray and stir up emotions.

If it does this, I don't care wether it's just BB king fiddling around on the pentatonic, or Bach using couterpoints.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
BB used conterpoint just as much, if not more than Bache. And no, Ts. I do not enjoy music with any sort of technicality.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by Zoot Allures
BB king?

Yes. This gentleman.

Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Depends entirely on context. I mostly listen to technically simple music but also love stuff like The Dillinger Esc Plan, not for the technicality but because it's so good.
Page 1 of 3