So, this coming Thursday I will be fully mic-ing my kit. My current Dilemma is that I'm just not sure which mics I want to go with.

I HAVE already decided on the Audix D6 for my kick. I like the pre-eq'd tones it gives out, plus, if theres a newer sound guy, or if he's just an idiot, then I know I'll still be pretty consistant.

I don't know what I want for Snare, either a Shure SM57 or Audix i5.

I know almost nothing about overheads.

Finally, for toms, I'm trying to decide between SM57s, and Sennheiser 421s. I can't find good audio samples for either, really.

Any recommendations? I'm looking mainly for live sound, but something I can use at home for decent recording, for fun =)

Thanks guys!
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
I know this probably won't help much, but fun fact, Ipod head phones record really well for drums, just hanging over the right tom's stand..... and I personally would go for the Shure for the snare, but that's my opinion... And I'm only now exploring recording myself, but for live sounds don't people usually use dynamic mics?
Sm57 on the snare, 421 on the toms. Over head should.be 2condensers in an xy.patern.
Jim root tele
Blue Voodoo 4x12
What kind of overheads (Make / model) you recommend?? And why 421s? I found some audio samples of sm57s that sounded pretty good.

Thanks!
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
I use SM57s for toms and snare. If I could afford MD421s for the toms, I'd go that route.

However, what is your budget?

I'd spend more money on the overheads if you're limited in budget, and stick with SM57s on toms. If you're not limited, go with the MD421s, as I feel they gel with toms just a bit more easily than SM57s.

For overheads, you've got 2 distinct pairs at each budget level:

1. Low End - Samson CO2/MXL 603
2. Mid Range - Oktava MK012/Rode NT5
3. High End - Beyerdynamic MC930/Neumann KM184

I prefer the Samsons to the MXL, just based on the fact that they're both nearly identical, and the Samsons are usually significantly cheaper.

I prefer the Oktavas to the Rodes, as they are more round in the mid range and are less bright than the Rodes. This one is really preference, people swear by both.

I prefer the Beyers to the Neumanns. You can find them for nearly half the price of the Neumanns if you look hard enough and they are less brittle in the high end IMO. A lot of people swear by the KM184s (and the more well respected KM84), but personally, I LOVE the Beyers and would take them over the Neumanns any day.

Obviously, you could go even higher end than the last category, but at that price point, you better be tracking in a professional studio packed full of very expensive equipment.

You could also go with a pair of Large Diaphragm Condensers, instead of the Small Diaphragm ones I've mentioned. There's not really a ton of cost effective options in the sub-$1500-$2000 range (A pair of AKG C414s are what come to mind), that will beat out the SDCs I've mentioned, though. Unless of course, you're going for a specific sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You could always look for the drum mic set that includes the D6 and i5 from Audix, they're pretty good and they work just as well in the studio as they do live. Sennehiser 421's or Audio Technica 4030 and 4050s are also a good bet too, but it's better not to use them live.

But it depends really, if you don't play metal then you can just use the Glyn Johns Technique for mic placement and you're sorted, however that's more for studio use.
The thing is, live and home/studio use varies greatly.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by MatrixClaw

However, what is your budget?

This could help people answer your question so much easier -- jus' saying'
I'd rather not go over ~$1300 if i can help it. And these will be MAINLY for live sound. Granted, I'll probably record for fun at my house, but thats not really a focal point for me, unless theres a good mic that would work great both ways.
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
Quote by Taerran
I'd rather not go over ~$1300 if i can help it. And these will be MAINLY for live sound. Granted, I'll probably record for fun at my house, but thats not really a focal point for me, unless theres a good mic that would work great both ways.

Alright, cool, now what size venues are you looking at roughly/mostly? Because depending on the size, you'll more than likely not be needing overheads.

Look up the Audix DP5a's or DP7's for mic sets, they're actually really good. The i5 and D6 come in the package. It's great for that mid-low punch but you might also benefit from getting an Audix D112, it's to the kick drum what an SM57 is to the snare to put it one way
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

How's that i5 compare to the SM57?

//edit// we have a show coming up with around 300, but right now we probably won't break over 600 in any of our venues.
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
You really can't go wrong with sm57s on toms and snare. I've played with bands that literally just used them for everything. although I prefer to use something more like a Beta52 for the kick but if you found something that works best for you then great. How big of a venue is this that you'd need an overhead mic?
I hate my sig
Its really not big enough to warrant more than snare, kick, and like 3 tom mics (of five) but, I have the means right now to afford a whole set + mixer, so I aim to do so. The current venue tops out at around 350, and we expect at least 300. Next month we have a venue that tops out at around 700, and we're expecting around 600, which is also big enough to warrant the overheads. Also, we have a couple venues in chicago we'll be playing here in a couple months, so.. I like to be prepared =)
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
Well to be honest, you're gonna need a lot more than a few mics and a mixer and live sound is never really simple enough to say "Alright, yeah, just get a few mics, a mixer and some speakers". For that size venue you'd be looking at rack mounted effects too. Gates,compressors etc... For the 600+ capacity, you might just be able to get away with using overheads, but be careful because every other mic (Especially vocal) onstage will be picking up your cymbals. As for toms, I say go with the audix set because they come with rim mounts so you don't need stands as they'll take up more time and space.

I find the i5 hits harder than the SM57, sounds more focused and, for want of a better word, phat and punchy. But it's not as clear in the top end, by that I mean there's not really that much headroom but it's definitely usable, especially with a little eq boost above 2KHz. I'll always opt for a 57 but if I have an i5 available i'll use it instead because I find the SM57 to be a bit harsh sounding and brittle sometimes.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra