I have had the idea for a song in my head for many years but never done anything about it. Got the melody, got the lyrics but nothing else. I have now decided to take the idea further and add some chords and a bass line. The big problem is, I cannot decide what key to write it in. Every time I sing it to myself, it is in a different key and each time it sounds ok, until I sing it again when it sounds better.... Likewise playing the melody on the guitar, there are a number of keys which sound ok. The question is, is there a "magic formula" for deciding what key to write in or is it just trial and error?
A minor is a magic key.

Seriously, just noodle a bit until you get the sound you're looking for. Most of the time when I make up a song I don't even think about what key I'm playing in at the time, I just play on trial and error until I have something that sounds nice to me.
Which exact key you choose is not necessarily the most important thing. Just pick one that sounds good then stick with it, then you can go about finishing the rest of the song. Otherwise you'll be stuck at the beginning forever.
It doesn't matter - you can always change your mind about key later. Once you've got the structure of the progression down, it should be fairly easy to transpose it up and down until you find the sweet spot.
Right! I will settle on one tonight. My humming seems to mainly favour a couple of keys so I think I am close to making a decision.
Play around with different keys, pick which one you like best that works best for your voice.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Settled on E. The chords for the E maj key just seemed to sound the best. As someone said, just go with what sounds right.
Mozart's favorite key was Eb. He thought that there is a magical feel to that key.
Amon Amarth to Frank Zappa
and everything in between.

The A-Z's of music.
Speaking of favourite keys, Beethoven's was the relative minor.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
Speaking of favourite keys, Beethoven's was the relative minor.

Sounds pretty sus2 me.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Sounds pretty sus2 me.

Bit 2 sus4 me.