Hello to everybody.I own a fender mustang III amp and a cheap guitar with 3 single coil pickups.Now the problem is that I need to move out to a smaller apartment and so I won't be able to use my amp, cause its too loud even on 3.Also I am not satisfied with its overdrive ( the clean chanel is perfect though).So I decided to buy another amp. Firstly the music that I want to play on it is Classic rock (led zepelin, pink floyd), rock (guns n roses, aerosmith, santana, gary moore, knopfler), and some heavier stuff (def leppard, van halen, ac-dc, iron maiden and maybe metallica).I am lookin for an amp with MAX 20 watt power but I think that 5 watts are enough cause I am not going to play live and I need it only for home practise.(I know guitar 1 year).So far except from my mustang I have tried a marshall solid state amp (I liked it a little more than my mustang), a peavey 5150+ head (which is I think too loud and only for metal, and its over my budget), and an expensive (800+euro) blackstar tube amp (which tonally is my favourite till now, but over my budget too).The shops here dont have any other amps so I can listen too, so I am going to buy an amp from a european e-shop like thomann.My budget is at most 200 euro.(+ plus a pedal which may be needed to play all the above bands).The amps I have in mind are the BUGERA V5 ALL-VALVE GUITAR COMBO at 140 euro for which I know nothing and I hope you can help me, (though I heard that bugera amps have extreme value for money), the roland cube 20xl which my teacher said that it doesnt sound like a modeller (I dont want another modeller).So I want you to tell me what you know abou these amps and suggest other amps in my budget, and remember I am looking for the best possible tone tha suits my genre in my money range. Thanks in advance.
At your price range you aren't going to be able to get anything other than a modeller really.

I suggest a Vypyr 30, only cause I find it to be the best modeller for the price, and the most versatile.

I'm not sure the v5 could do any of the heavy stuff.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
The Mustang should be able to get you close enough to the tones that you listed. Are you sure it's the amps distortion you dislike? It might be that the guitar you're playing has single coil pups instead of humbuckers...

As for your volume concerns, the mustang should definitely be able to get quiet enough for playing in an apartment. If it's too loud at 3, turn it down to 1!

I suggest you save up your money, at your price range anything you buy is going to be more of a side step instead of a step up.
Since you are living in an apartment, it would be best to just get a POD HD 300 with a good set of Sennheiser headphones just to avoid starting a fight. Apartments and guitar amplifiers regardless of size/wattage do not go together.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Since you are living in an apartment, it would be best to just get a POD HD 300 with a good set of Sennheiser headphones just to avoid starting a fight. Apartments and guitar amplifiers regardless of size/wattage do not go together.

This really isn't true, Get to know your neighbors and play at accetable volumes/times and you won't have a problem.
Quote by zl1288
This really isn't true, Get to know your neighbors and play at accetable volumes/times and you won't have a problem.
It's easy to say but not all neighbors are cool like that. He'd be able to do a lot more with a POD HD anyway than any other amp in that price range and sound better. While not bothering anybody.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
It's easy to say but not all neighbors are cool like that. He'd be able to do a lot more with a POD HD anyway than any other amp in that price range and sound better. While not bothering anybody.

Give up. No one wants the opinion of a kid living with his parents on housing issues.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Give up. No one wants the opinion of a kid living with his parents on housing issues.
Who cares who it's coming from? It's common fucking sense! You don't buy something that is capable of putting out close to 100 decibels of sound when you live in a cramped building with thin walls and potentially have people living next door with sleeping babies or are just plain intolerant assholes. A 3 year old could figure that out.

Personally, I'd take a Pod HD over a Bugera V5 anyday. Not just because it's more versatile but also because you don't carry a risk of starting a fight or a fire. Oh no, now I'm really going to be catching shit...
Quote by tubetime86

Quote by Ian_the_fox
Who cares who it's coming from? It's common fucking sense! You don't buy something that is capable of putting out close to 100 decibels of sound when you live in a cramped building with thin walls and potentially have people living next door with sleeping babies or are just plain intolerant assholes. A 3 year old could figure that out.

Personally, I'd take a Pod HD over a Bugera V5 anyday. Not just because it's more versatile but also because you don't carry a risk of starting a fight or a fire. Oh no, now I'm really going to be catching shit...

Quote by zl1288

At my old apartment, my neighbors were 70+ The old ladies husband was a vietnam vet, and allllllllllllllllllllllllllllways cranky.

They knew I was a musician, and I tried to respect their wishes by staying quiet, but when you got two other roommates who don't give a shit making noise, guess who they blame first? The guy with the stack sitting in his room.

I tried explaining to them, didn't matter. The best part was that their grand kids were loud as ****, always waking me up in the morning when I work 2nd shift (around 2-3pm) They never gave a shit, so I was loud one day back to them, they just called the cops, and my landlord yelled at me.

LONG STORY SHORT/TL;DR: Avoid the frustration that comes from being a musician and your neighbors being pricks and just go the POD route. Unless you have one neighbor, who is really nice, or is a musician himself, it doesn't work out, trust me.

/rantish
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Ian_the_fox

No its not common sense. Try asking an adult who has lived in their own apartment before.

Saying 'Who cares who it's coming from?' just shows how ignorant you are. In any piece of advice that's the most important part. 'Consider the source.'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Guitarbaddie
At my old apartment, my neighbors were 70+ The old ladies husband was a vietnam vet, and allllllllllllllllllllllllllllways cranky.

They knew I was a musician, and I tried to respect their wishes by staying quiet, but when you got two other roommates who don't give a shit making noise, guess who they blame first? The guy with the stack sitting in his room.

I tried explaining to them, didn't matter. The best part was that their grand kids were loud as ****, always waking me up in the morning when I work 2nd shift (around 2-3pm) They never gave a shit, so I was loud one day back to them, they just called the cops, and my landlord yelled at me.

LONG STORY SHORT/TL;DR: Avoid the frustration that comes from being a musician and your neighbors being pricks and just go the POD route. Unless you have one neighbor, who is really nice, or is a musician himself, it doesn't work out, trust me.

/rantish
Where were you the last 50+ threads that I needed you on this topic? Your situation is exactly and even more than what I've been referring to.

While not all neighbors are this way, you still risk running into people who are like that. Is it worth the risk of starting a fight? In my opinion, no. That's why I say get a Pod with good headphones.

Quote by tubetime86
No its not common sense. Try asking an adult who has lived in their own apartment before.
You mean like the guy who posted right before you? And who just admitted he caught shit from his neighbors and landlord for owning a guitar amp? Very well then.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Jan 3, 2012,
So just because some people may have a bad experience, nobody living in an apartment should own an amp?

I've lived in multiple apartments the past couple of years, and never had a problem. I have multiple friends who play as well, and they haven't had any problems either. I agree with you that the POD HD is nice, and a great solution for apartment playing, but amps work just as well.
Quote by zl1288
So just because some people may have a bad experience, nobody living in an apartment should own an amp?

I've lived in multiple apartments the past couple of years, and never had a problem. I have multiple friends who play as well, and they haven't had any problems either. I agree with you that the POD HD is nice, and a great solution for apartment playing, but amps work just as well.

I used a Vypyr 15, without headphones, just kept it low.

Just saying, everyone's situation is different. They knew I was a musician, so blamed me for every bit of noise, even after explaining to them it wasn't me.

Something cheap that you can use for practice is great, and then you can pump money into something big for jamminz and gigginz.

BACK TO OP: Not sure why you don't like your mustang, they are decent amps. Roland Micro Cube or POD are good with a good pair of headphones.

The Bugera v5 has a "phones" out anyways, so you could use some headphones with that, I think... But can the v5 even do the heavier stuff?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Where were you the last 50+ threads that I needed you on this topic? Your situation is exactly and even more than what I've been referring to.

While not all neighbors are this way, you still risk running into people who are like that. Is it worth the risk of starting a fight? In my opinion, no. That's why I say get a Pod with good headphones.

You mean like the guy who posted right before you? And who just admitted he caught shit from his neighbors and landlord for owning a guitar amp? Very well then.

Anecdotal evidence proves nothing. Sometimes people get stabbed on the subway. Should I never ride the subway?

I've lived in plenty of apartments and had everything from 5 watt 1x12s to 100 watt half stacks in them. I've never had a noise violation. I've had 'issues' with neighbors over noise but nothing I couldn't work out by talking to them.

No one is saying it doesn't happen, but a kid who has never lived on his own popping into every thread and saying "you can't play that amp without getting kicked out of your house" is just ridiculous. Post when you have actual knowledge to share, not a bullshit opinion based on nothing.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jan 3, 2012,
Quote by zl1288

I'll put it like this:

At amusement parks, they often have age restrictions on the more intense roller coasters, the age varying from park to park. Usually it will be around 55-60 as a maximum, and when someone looks too old to be riding a roller coaster, the ride operators are supposed to forbid them from getting on (they're supposed to, but they often let people slide). My grandfather is in his late 70's, in great health, and loves riding the most intense roller coasters. He can ride them just fine without a problem. But not all people that age are in as good of health, so it would be unsafe to let everyone that age on a roller coaster, because there do exist many people with heart problems, hypertension, etc. and are sensitive to G-forces, etc. Becaue if they were to let anybody in the world get on these rides, there will come along someone who has a heart attack from the G-forces, and the park gets sued. It's not worth the risk.

My point is is that while there will be a lot of tolerant neighbors out there, there exist the people that GuitarBaddie ran into. So in my opinion it's really not worth the risk to assume you'll be okay with an amp in an apartment in all situations.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Jan 3, 2012,
Life is full of risks. Start out with that attitude and your mom's basement will start looking real cozy.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It's just as dumb to assume you won't be ok with an amp in an apartment. I run two 120 watt amps in stereo in my apartment and the only feedback I've gotten has been several requests from college girls regarding lessons.

Your amusement park analogy is terrible. You can talk to your fellow tenants and try out amps/stereos in an apartment to see if the volume is acceptable. You can't put a 2 year old on a rollercoaster just to see what will happen.
Quote by Roc8995
The only feedback I've gotten has been several requests from college girls regarding lessons.

They also asked him to teach them to play guitar!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
They also asked him to teach them to play guitar!
Very well then.

TS: If your neighbors are awsomely hot horny college girls then by all means get an awesome amp, or just keep the Mustang since that's one of the better practice amps for the price, at least for your styles. You'll get laid for sure. You'll probably get laid sooner if you go with a good tube amp, and instantly if you get something handwired.

If your neighbors are intolerant old people who hate all forms of rock music, or mothers with infant triplets that are usually asleep, dodge the bullet and go with a Pod HD.

Roc8995 had the best suggestion: talk to your neighbors first, then buy whatever would suit your situation best. I'd personally go with the Pod HD.
Yeah, talking to the neighbors before hand is the best option now that I think about it.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
These threads are always amusing and sad at the same time. We get several every day. It is not a new situation. The Mustang is a decent amp and you should be able to control the volume. If you really are just not happy with it there is nothing wrong with looking at something else. Unfortunately, a $200 budget for a tube amp is not going to get you very far and even a 5 watt tube amp can get loud. I wouldn't want to play Metallica on one though.

I think the POD/headphones idea is a good one. I didn't care for Bugera V5 at all but the V22 was pretty sweet.

Your just going to have to take all of this advice, talk to your neighbors and make up your own mind. It is a classic dilemma.

Quote by Roc8995
It's just as dumb to assume you won't be ok with an amp in an apartment. I run two 120 watt amps in stereo in my apartment and the only feedback I've gotten has been several requests from college girls regarding lessons.

That's awesome!
Guys thanks for the responses so far.I was going to buy the cube BUT some days ago I bumped into this
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/hayden-hgt-p1508-valve-guitar-amp-combo--84495
It costs only 100n euros its all valve and the site claims it is designed and engineered in the UK.Whats your opinion about it?
As far as distortion goes by the way if I buy this amp I will buy this pedal too
http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/electro-harmonix-big-muff-pi-with-tone-wicker-distortion-pedal--61327
So what do you say?
Last edited by Stevepredator at Feb 19, 2012,
I love my big muff. But I think you should seriously consider the headphone option.

think of it this way. My building has 4 apartments in it. that's about 8 people, with varying schedules and tolerances for noise, Including problems like chronic headaches. To get that great tube sound, you need to overdrive the the tubes, which unless you have an attenuator, will necessitate some loudness.

Without fail, unless you live in a really well insulated place( I dont), you will be pissing somebody off. They probably wont say anything, but you will be that asshole. if you're ok with that let me recommend the epiphone Jr amp. you can get em for under 80 euros used, and they have serious modding potential. I've heard the stock sound once and it wasnt bad. better tubes, new output transformer, and new speaker(or into a cab) and you have a great sound.

Otherwise, I like and use the headphone method. But I would recommend something from Korgs Pandora line. I have the PX4d, which is pretty sweet, drumm and bass jam tracks, all sorts of distortions and effects. thats about 100 usd for the new pxmini which is sopposed to be pretty cool. Pair that with a nice lower end studio monitor and not only do you have a great way to play guitar but also an excellent way to just listen to music/movies etc all in one.