I have a limited budget at the moment, would i tell a bigger difference in tone with replacing my power tubes or pre-amp tubes? i also have a side question, someone told me i should get my amps "pot" cleaned, what does that mean, how much does that mean and how much does it cost for someone to do that typically?
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Pre-amp vales can last you upwards of 20 years while some people go through power amp valves in a couple of months. If you've had the amp for a while now and not replaced the power section, you'll probably notice a nice improvement when you do.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Power tubes wear out first. Sort them out first. This may require a rebiasing depending on the amp. What amp is it?

Cleaning the pots involves spraying contact cleaner inside and twisting the knob around a few times. There is normally a little gap in the pot housing near the pins, spray it in there. Cleaning is really a stopgap measure, when they go scratchy the better solution is to replace them.
It means pulling the chassis out so the normal safety precautions must be observed - unplugging it from the wall and discharging the filter caps. If you don't know what that means or how to do it take it to somebody that does. Death can ensue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you routinely play with your amp at 50%+ volume, you'll notice a bigger improvement if you replace the power tubes.

If you don't play very loud (less then 50% most of the time) preamp tubes are probably the way to go.

Now, that being said, you'll notice a pretty substantial difference no matter which you replace. Also, as many others have said, preamp tubes generally last longer then power amp. Just some things to consider.
Quote by Cathbard
Power tubes wear out first. Sort them out first. This may require a rebiasing depending on the amp. What amp is it?

Cleaning the pots involves spraying contact cleaner inside and twisting the knob around a few times. There is normally a little gap in the pot housing near the pins, spray it in there. Cleaning is really a stopgap measure, when they go scratchy the better solution is to replace them.
It means pulling the chassis out so the normal safety precautions must be observed - unplugging it from the wall and discharging the filter caps. If you don't know what that means or how to do it take it to somebody that does. Death can ensue.

Hiwatt lead 50 head
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
I'm not sure how they are biased. Hiwatts are fixed biased but some aren't adjustable it seems. You wouldn't have a schematic handy would you? The hiwatt schematics in my tube amp book are a bit sub-par.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification