Hey guys. I recently bought a Les Paul Standard with a 75 watt line 6 amp and a few people at my boarding school are looking into playing for a youth group at a local church. I've been wanting to be in a band for a while now, and even though I'm not religious I think and gig time is time well spent. More practice in front of an audience. The thing I'm looking for is some good fun-to-play christian/gospel songs, not exactly christian rock, anything that teenagers who go to church will be interested in listening too for three or four songs without getting board. I would also like to know how to set up the effects on my Line 6 for this type of music and any other information I need to know about playing live, seeing as I've never done it before. Thanks for the help.
well, i know the band Thrice has some christian themed songs, not exactly christian rock but maybe something you could work with. As for playing live, I'd say one of the biggest things is to make sure you tune up and stay in tune.

Good luck!
Have you played for an audience before?

Which Line 6 amp model are you talking about exactly? Hope not a Spider

If there's a proper PA system at the venue, you should get miked up so that you'll be heard

No idea of songs
Maybe some Creed songs? OK, well maybe not come to think of it ..
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by locosenor13
well, i know the band Thrice has some christian themed songs, not exactly christian rock but maybe something you could work with. As for playing live, I'd say one of the biggest things is to make sure you tune up and stay in tune.

Good luck!

Thanks. Usually have no problem with staying in tune, so that should be fine.

Have you played for an audience before?

Which Line 6 amp model are you talking about exactly? Hope not a Spider

If there's a proper PA system at the venue, you should get miked up so that you'll be heard

No idea of songs

I have not, unless you count concert band and wind instruments .

It is a Spider, but its for practice. I think the church has its own PA system, not sure what they use though. And whats wrong with a spider? (Not sounding rude, just don't know much about amps).
Hey bud. I'm a worship leader at my church and play lead guitar. I'll try my best to help you out. First and foremost almost any church you play for ask and will require you to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ before you can even play in the band.

Aside from that, don't worry about the audience. You just go in and have fun. I will admit the fest time playing you will be nervous about half way through the first song, but then after you hit the second chorus, you will be fine. Just know your parts whether it's leads or rhythm and know when and when not to play. It's important. A huge thing when it comes to guitar is atmosphere so make sure you have a delay pedal cause this will be your most used pedal and a light distortion pedal. No heavy stuff. I remember using a line 6 when I first started, generally they will use a DI box to hook it up to the PA system. You have to balance the tone yourself.

As for practicing songs, play some songs from Hillsong, Jesus Culture, Chris Tomlin, Jeremy Camp, etc. A lot of the songs are played from some of those bands. You will get the hang of it. Good luck. I'll keep you in prayer man.

Oh and as for Creed, yes they had Christian theme songs, Thrice yes they are all Christian and have Christian theme songs, lead singer of Thrice (Dustin Kensrue) is a worship leader at a church near my house. But yeah hope this helps.
Pretty much anything by David Crowder Band* will work great. As far as effects go, clean usually works the best unless you are playing a really up beat song. Echo usually works too.