Page 1 of 2
hi,

i am in desparate need of a new amp, atm i have marshall 50 MG DFX(yes i know its s**t) it makes me sound like a crap player. and i have been looking at these amps Marshall full stack (AVT50H + 2 4x12 cabs) is it any good, its £500. And have also seen this one Marshall G100R + 1960a 4x12 Speaker Cabinet - 100 watt half stack
BTW i play metal/hard rock etc and can go too £700

thanks

tom
The AVT is barely a step up. The G100 is a step down. Both are a waste of money. I'm sure some UKers will chime in with suggestions in that budget range. I think Laney ought to be a good starting place.
I would stay away of Marshall... I would check out Orange and Jet City..

a blackstar HT 40/60 could also be a good choice..

Surf the used market...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Roc8995
The AVT is barely a step up. The G100 is a step down. Both are a waste of money. I'm sure some UKers will chime in with suggestions in that budget range. I think Laney ought to be a good starting place.

+1 One can never go wrong with Laney.

I'd suggest a Laney GH50L

with a Harley Benton G212 Vintage

Best bang for your buck if you know how to use a volume knob.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Yeah, unless you're buying a JCM, I'd be sure to steer clear of Marshall. All you're buying is a name on a box, and the amp might as well not be included.

Just look around the web for anything and everything in your price range, and then pick what you think best fits your needs.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

I moved from an MG to an AVT a few years ago and was not disappointed. The AVTs get a bad rap here, but that's mainly because people compare them to Marshall's premium ranges instead of the actual competition (even MGs aren't as bad as people here say, but they definitely aren't good either!). You do pay a little extra for the name, but the reliability is worth it in my opinion.

Definitely avoid the G100 you're considering though, even if it's not the step down that the other guy said, it's certainly no better than what you already have.

The other suggestions are all good, the only real advice is to go to a shop and try them, you don't have to buy there & then so you can still save money by using the internet - some shops will even match the prices you can find elsewhere.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jan 3, 2012,
With Marshalls, if it aint tube don't buy it. The AVT is a hybrid on the SS end of the spectrum. As Min would say, they are terribad.

Buy Tom's Laney
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Laney VH100R heads are like £500-£600 used on ebay and whatnot, and sound epic

you can get a used Marshall 2x12 or 4x12 for around £200. that'll have you sorted (Y)
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by Roc8995
The AVT is barely a step up. The G100 is a step down

Bold for emphasis. Don't waste your money on it because it has Marshall in the name.

I think a JCA22H/50H would do the trick, you may not even need a boost depending on how heavy you wanna go. Pick up a 1x12 white box or something similar for a cab.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by Cathbard
With Marshalls, if it aint tube don't buy it. The AVT is a hybrid on the SS end of the spectrum. As Min would say, they are terribad.

Buy Tom's Laney

I think he might of sold it but if not it's 260 and it's a 50 watt tube amp. use the rest of your money to buy some pedals to help you get more into that metal sound
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by GaryBillington
I moved from an MG to an AVT a few years ago and was not disappointed. The AVTs get a bad rap here, but that's mainly because people compare them to Marshall's premium ranges instead of the actual competition (even MGs aren't as bad as people here say, but they definitely aren't good either!). You do pay a little extra for the name, but the reliability is worth it in my opinion.

Definitely avoid the G100 you're considering though, even if it's not the step down that the other guy said, it's certainly no better than what you already have.

The other suggestions are all good, the only real advice is to go to a shop and try them, you don't have to buy there & then so you can still save money by using the internet - some shops will even match the prices you can find elsewhere.

Nah. The guitarist in my band got an AVT half stack for 500 used. He thinks it's a good deal. I told him I wouldn't take it off the guy he bought it from for free. No better than a MG stack, and unfortunately, dem avt toans will be on our first album ///.;

Like, the thing is supa muddy, muddier than the infinity pups in my ibanez. He always boosts the OD channel with some boss SD1 or something, and uses a Boss chorus for leads.

I swear he faps to hard to Zakk Wylde
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
laney gh50l (i've seen some places with deals on them for ~£500... not quite as cheap as i got mine, but still reasonable value compared to the usual going rate) is a good call combined with a decent cab.

thomann does teh traynor ycv50b for just under £500 (iirc) if you can't stretch to the laney head and cab.

buying an avt over either would be like buying a lada when for the same price you could get a porsche.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 3, 2012,
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Nah. The guitarist in my band got an AVT half stack for 500 used. He thinks it's a good deal. I told him I wouldn't take it off the guy he bought it from for free. No better than a MG stack, and unfortunately, dem avt toans will be on our first album ///.;

Like, the thing is supa muddy, muddier than the infinity pups in my ibanez. He always boosts the OD channel with some boss SD1 or something, and uses a Boss chorus for leads.

I swear he faps to hard to Zakk Wylde

I've never said they're the best out there, but you are definitely wrong to try making out they are as bad as that. They aren't bad, they just aren't as good as Marshall's premium ranges.

I'm also not saying that there aren't other options which may be better for some people - the only real advice in any discussion like this is what I said in my original post: you have to go to a shop and try them for yourself.

For proof to the TS in order to help him make up his own mind instead of listening to all the opinions which must be right because someone he's never met has posted it on the internet:
Listen to any of the songs on my profile (except Interlude, that one's acoustic). The sounds you hear were made solely with my AVT, I don't use my effects for any input at all to the distortion or overdrive. The sound of the Marshall amp is fine (albeit not what people assume they will hear when the word Marshall is used), it's only held back by my playing.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
it's wrong to suggest that someone buy an avt when there are amps available from other manufacturers for the same price which *are* as good as marshall's premium range. and which are arguably more "marshall" than those very marshalls you're talking about.

i think that's what we're getting at.

if the avt were £50, fair enough. but he says he has £500-£700 to spend. buying an avt in that case is a waste of money.

I agree he should make his own mind up but we're just trying to give him advice to make his own mind up with the most information possible.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Decent amps. The DSLs tended to be more popular than the TSLs, and both amps had heat issues early on (more in the combos than the heads), but if that's a later one it ought to be fine.
They're definitely versatile. Lots of good tones in a DSL.
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's wrong to suggest that someone buy an avt when there are amps available from other manufacturers for the same price which *are* as good as marshall's premium range. and which are arguably more "marshall" than those very marshalls you're talking about.

i think that's what we're getting at.

if the avt were £50, fair enough. but he says he has £500-£700 to spend. buying an avt in that case is a waste of money.

I agree he should make his own mind up but we're just trying to give him advice to make his own mind up with the most information possible.

A waste of money? Definitely not.
I'm not disappointed, and I know a few others who don't regret buying them. Also, I don't remember what I paid now (it was a few years ago) but it was only about half of that budget for the 100w AVT of the time. And who knows - I may have made a different decision if I'd had the extra cash available easily - that's a question I can't answer now, it was too long ago to remember what else was available back then if I'd had the extra money.

The right choice? Possibly not.
Only the buyer can decide, I'm just joining in with the objective advice. I have experience with one of the amps he's considering so I can provide a genuine opinion, backed up by the sound of my recordings. If he doesn't like what he hears, he knows what decision to make.

All I'm saying is they aren't as bad as people here make out. Like you said, they're certainly more expensive than other amps they should be compared to, although some of that money is for the build quality and reliability as well as the name - I've been using Marshall amps for over 20 years and I've never had one let me down. I also considered other options each time I changed, I only picked another brand once (so far, can't speak for the future) during the late 90s and I regretted it. Can't remember the make, but I never saw another. It was when that amp broke that I was forced into buying an MG, it was all that was available to me in time for a gig I had booked. I was never particularly happy with the MG, but never overly disappointed either because I'd set my expectations correctly. However, I can honestly say that I have always been happy with my AVT.

If Marshall still used the Park brand for their lower ranges everybody would pay them as much attention as brands like Epiphone, Squier and Electromatic get - especially if they adjusted the price accordingly because it is impossible to ignore the fact that you currently pay more for what you are getting in comparison to other brands. The lower ranges also definitely weaken the position of their 'real' amps, as seeing a Marshall on stage in your local bar used to mean something, these days anybody can have one.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jan 5, 2012,
if you can explain to me how buying an avt for £500 when you can get an *objectively* better amp for the same money (the traynor has a plywood cab, the avt's is particleboard; teh traynor has a vintage 30, the marshall has some cheapo celestion crapola speaker; the traynor is all-valve, the avt is basically glorified solid state etc. etc. Those things aren't subjective, they're objective) isn't a waste of money, then I'd love to hear it.

I agree that a lot of tone is subjective, but not all of it is.

You're basically arguing that because what car you like is somewhat subjective, that a lada isn't objectively any worse than a mercedes. which is rubbish.

By the way- stop playing the "I own one so only my opinion counts," card. It's annoying.

I owned an avt. it was crap. I sold it. Couldn't be happier. I never sell anything in case i regret it. But i sold the avt.

I was also under teh impression that MGs had a terrible rep for reliability. just because it has a marshall badge on it doesn't mean it's reliable.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GaryBillington
*AVT Suggestion*

While the AVTs are slightly better than the MGs and you may be able to dial some good tones into them, for this price it's ridiculous to suggest one.

I got my Cornford Roadhouse 30 for under £500. I mean, it's the lowest end Cornford amp, but still, for the price you're suggesting a beginner amp, he could buy an amp which would easily do him for life which he wouldn't grow out of eventually. (This isn't counting the urges every guitar player gets for new gear of course! )

Dave_Mc's suggestions are as good as you'll get in this price range, the Laney GH50L is a good way to go, there are plenty of JCM800 clones out there (Laney AOR, Sovtek Mig, Peavey had a couple too I think) which would hit Marshall tones a million times better than the AVT and at a better price than the lower end valve Marshalls. So yeah, keep on looking!
And don't be scared about not having the marshall name. Trust me, you won't sound better with a fancy logo on your amp.
I've had way too many run-ins with low end Marshalls to know you'd be better off getting something like the Laney GH!
^

roadhouse is probably a good call, too (i've only tried the handwireds). Andertons has them on deal, too. would also be worth considering.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Can I remind you all that I didn't actually suggest the AVT - they were mentioned as an option in the original post and I responded to it with the facts as I see them, I don't believe I've ever suggested them as the best option, I've only corrected the false information that has been provided about them.

I'll try using bold to get the message across:
All I'm saying is they aren't as bad as people here make out

it was only about half of that budget for the 100w AVT of the time

...and I never said that "only my opinion counts", I just said that my opinion of them is formed by experience and backed up by my recordings. My experience with the other suggestions is limited to in-store tryouts, so whatever I may have thought about the sound, I can't comment on what they're like to live with, therefore I haven't commented on them.

Like I said in my first post:
the only real advice is to go to a shop and try them
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Dave_Mc
^

roadhouse is probably a good call, too (i've only tried the handwireds). Andertons has them on deal, too. would also be worth considering.

To be honest I wouldn't suggest the Roadhouse for this.
I'm going to assume the TS wants at least 2 channels with some kind of Marshall-esque tone (this is purely based on the suggestions he's made). The Roadhouse being one channel and being somewhat unforgiving (when you have it set right it sounds amazing, it's just that it's that bit harder to dial in tones than it would for a Marshall, being the "crank up and you're good" kind of amps they are). Though of course if he can, I'd suggest trying one cos they are real cool amps.
Quote by GaryBillington
Can I remind you all that I didn't actually suggest the AVT - they were mentioned as an option in the original post and I responded to it with the facts as I see them, I don't believe I've ever suggested them as the best option, I've only corrected the false information that has been provided about them.

I'll try using bold to get the message across:

...and I never said that "only my opinion counts", I just said that my opinion of them is formed by experience and backed up by my recordings. My experience with the other suggestions is limited to in-store tryouts, so whatever I may have thought about the sound, I can't comment on what they're like to live with, therefore I haven't commented on them.

Like I said in my first post:

Can I remind you that you are extremely annoying and you definitely are pulling the "I own one so I'm right and everyone else is wrong" card.

I've played a couple different amps from the ATV series, they were junk. And I'm not comparing them to anything else that Marshall has released or anything from any other company. To take an AVT and place an honest review on it, they sound pretty awful, they are overpriced for what you get, and they have been known to have some reliability issues.

I've also known people who have owned AVTs and none of them were ever satisfied and all sold them within a year or so of purchasing them.

TS: Steer clear of SS Marshalls, with the exception of the Mode Four - they are somewhat decent, imo, and can be found for a ridiculously low price.

I'm surprised that no one has asked these questions yet:

What is your budget?
Are you willing to buy used?
What bands have a tone that you're trying to achieve?
Is this for bedroom practice or gigging?
Let's put this to bed - the AVT is a steaming pile of smeg. I wouldn't allow one in my house ever again. They are crap, period, end of story, no correspondence will be entered into. They are garbage. If you disagree you need to see an otolaryngologist and I wouldn't delay; something is seriously wrong with your ears.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yes, people often find me annoying when I place well supported facts against completely unsupported opinions. I'm not saying any of the other suggestions are wrong, they may even be the better option, I'm just correcting some of the incorrect information about one of the many options. It's up to the TS who he wants to listen to.

As for your questions to the TS, if you read the original post you'll get some of the answers about budget & style, I was making the assumption it would be for gigging due to the size of the amps he was considering, but I could be wrong. Don't think anyone had asked about going used yet though, which obviously opens up loads more options.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Yes, people often find me annoying when I place well supported facts against completely unsupported opinions. I'm not saying any of the other suggestions are wrong, they may even be the better option, I'm just correcting some of the incorrect information about one of the many options. It's up to the TS who he wants to listen to.

As for your questions to the TS, if you read the original post you'll get some of the answers about budget & style, I was making the assumption it would be for gigging due to the size of the amps he was considering, but I could be wrong. Don't think anyone had asked about going used yet though, which obviously opens up loads more options.
Except for, looking at his profile, TS simply doesn't listen to the types of tones available in the AVT. It is a very cold, sterile, shrill amp. The ONLY reason TS should EVER buy an AVT is if he is a HUGE Death fan, specifically Symbolic and everything after.

Which h is not. TS is a huge AC/DC fan.

So shut up.

EDIT: TS, to put it simply, my POS Ampeg that is the one-trickiest pony I have ever met, is better than the AVT. At least I have headroom
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by GaryBillington

To be fair, this whole AVT thing is nothing to do with facts.

You're saying you owned one and liked it.
Many others are saying they owned one or have played one and didn't like it.

I see why you're getting annoyed, cos looking back you didn't strictly state that you're recommending the AVT for this application, but you aren't exactly correcting any incorrect information.
You can't correct opinions, and you can't even try to dispute that for £700 you can get a whole lot of amp!
Facts you say? Fact is, you're wrong.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Facts you say? Fact is, you're wrong.

...in your opinion.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^ you said what, to any reasonable person (including the ts who asked if the avts were any good), sounded like a recommendation.

it doesn't matter if you got a good price. the ts said the one he was looking at was £500.

For £500, yes, the avt is crap, considering what else you can get for that type of money. not opinion.

you also did play the "i own one" card.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
To be honest I wouldn't suggest the Roadhouse for this.
I'm going to assume the TS wants at least 2 channels with some kind of Marshall-esque tone (this is purely based on the suggestions he's made). The Roadhouse being one channel and being somewhat unforgiving (when you have it set right it sounds amazing, it's just that it's that bit harder to dial in tones than it would for a Marshall, being the "crank up and you're good" kind of amps they are). Though of course if he can, I'd suggest trying one cos they are real cool amps.

ah ok

the laney's pretty much single channel too
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
TS,

I have to agree with the sentiments reflected on this thread. The AVT is barely a step up. Save your money.

It you're looking at a Marshall, have you considered a Marshall Vintage Modern? I reckon you could get one used (assuming you are willing to go used) for around your budget.

They are generally a very well regarded amp amongst the lots of poop Marshall have been pushing over the last decade plus.

If you're willing to sit and play with it for hours they generate some beautiful tones, after you've found the magic combinations of dialing it in.

It can certainly do hard rock straight out of the box (AC/DC, Zep, Purple, GnR) without any pedals and put a tube screamer in front and you can do metal easily (think early Metallica/Megadeth). It's all tube goody goodness.

You need to crank it though to get the sweet spots, which might make bedroom practice a bit loud if that's what you're using it for.
Last edited by Phoenix V at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by GaryBillington

Hows Thomas and percy?
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
AVT is junk. I've owned and rehearsed with the 50h, rehearsed with the 150h and 275 combo in rehearsal studios in a band situation and they are JUNK.

And its a completely supported opinion.
Quote by GaryBillington
...in your opinion.

Eeeerm, that's what I was implying ..... you tried to present your opinion as a fact. I was throwing an opinion back at you as a fact to highlight what you were doing.

TS: Try to find a used JCM2000 DSL. That's going to get you where you want to go for the least money. Either that or a Laney. If you can get a VH100R for the money you have, grab it and run away giggling like a maniac.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification