My brother is upgrading his very shitty bass amp and he is willing to spend around 800€ (1000$) and we are planning to write and play music in the vibe of Queens of the Stone Age and stoner bands such as Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet, etc...

I think he wants a really clean amp and at least a half stack. No combos. He loves the big 8x10 or 8x12, but that is fairly impossible to get for that price I think...

Please recommend one, and best if in Europe, due to shipping.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
For that price? Lulwut...
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Harkte maybe, look used and you could find good deals on bigger items. Do you have transport for a 8x10? Best bet is a 300-500 watt head and a 4x10 or a couple 1x15's. If he wants clean, GK mb500 head is small and 500 watts or the rb400/rb800. List goes on, since he's not interested in the tube grind that most of those bands used ricks and P's into SVT's (it even rhymes!).

Look for SS amps with lots of headroom and very efficient speaker cabs, in fact you might end up spending more on the cab than the head itself. Also consider a DI unit such as the sansamp if he does want grind or wants to gig he can handle it all.
TC Electronic BH500 with a 410 Cab will be approximately €850 and is a killer amp.
I love all of those bands,and money no object,tubes are just to die for in stoner rock.
I managed to get myself a tube bass head and an 8x10 for a little over $1000 AUD out here,so I'm sure you could find something like that in Europe.
Look second hand and you'll save a ton of money.
Old tube P.A heads and high wattage guitar heads work really well,the more obscure the better,as they will be much cheaper.
I find that you can get alot more out of a tube head with a big cabinet,like an 8x10 than through a 4x10,however a solidstate through a 4x10 will probably sound just as nice as an SS through an 8x10.
A sansamp is definitely recomended otherwise.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
I love all of those bands,and money no object,tubes are just to die for in stoner rock.
I managed to get myself a tube bass head and an 8x10 for a little over $1000 AUD out here,so I'm sure you could find something like that in Europe.
Look second hand and you'll save a ton of money.
Old tube P.A heads and high wattage guitar heads work really well,the more obscure the better,as they will be much cheaper.
I find that you can get alot more out of a tube head with a big cabinet,like an 8x10 than through a 4x10,however a solidstate through a 4x10 will probably sound just as nice as an SS through an 8x10.
A sansamp is definitely recomended otherwise.

If he wants clean tones then Idk if a 100 watt tube guitar head is the route to take. I know it would be killer, but hey if he has his own thing going who are we to push him to do what is expected.

For the record, obscure tube amps are killer deals (unless in the hands of a ignorant hipster) but pose a few problems.

1. If they are old, they might need wiring updates to make them unlethal due to grounding and voltage issues.
2. Old amps can mean old tubes which means the potential for a big sum of money up front in addition to the amp itself and potential servicing.
3. In old obscure amps, the tubes can be just as old and obscure, which is great if your a cork sniffin' tube snob with a upper middle class hobby budget, but if your just a teen, spending $200 on a sleeve of NOS el-35#4%485 tubes to run your long forgotten amp is a pain in the ass, hell 4 6L6GC tubes are going to be like $100 without shipping from JJ for my classic 60/60.

Edit: 4. Caps can be leaky, chokes can rot, pots can wear out.
Last edited by askrere at Jan 5, 2012,
Slightly off topic,but how are you going with your tube amp askrere?
You had some problems didn't you?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
Slightly off topic,but how are you going with your tube amp askrere?
You had some problems didn't you?

Lol, well holidays came like the day or so after so it's just been pushed away. I also got a Peavey TNT and until I sell it, it's my go to amp for home play cause it's a such a nice sounding simple combo.

There is a guy on my local craigslist for months now has tried to sell his rack gear for a head or combo, anyways I've contacted him probably 3-5 times with various offers but he won't break it up, and he has a classic 120 power amp which I'd love to get my hands on. His loss it'll be way harder to find someone who wants all the junk he's collected in a box and has exactly what he wants...

That said, I tortured myself for a couple months before buying the 60/60 because everyone said you need at least 200 watts etc anything else is a waste and unheard. Right before it died I had zeroed in a very fat sound, and lowered my pickup so I could play clean or dirty by the force of my fingers and it was wall shaking.

Right now, I just need to crack it open check the guts then make the money to buy all that big glass.

Edit: aside from the blown tube, I really want to be able to actually turn a channel off and not burn it's tubes in standby if I want to. Also I want to see anyway I can keep or boost the existing volume, while boosting headroom.
Last edited by askrere at Jan 5, 2012,