I will be using this thread for any questions I have about guitar gear, as I am kind of a noob and spamming the forums with threads is not the goal. I will leave my previous questions up here as is, and update this post to show my most recent questions. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Original Topic
Hey everyone, I'm still pretty new to guitars, but over the past couple years I've been teaching myself to play I did learn one thing, that I prefer to Les Paul sound to the Strat sound. I had a squire strat for a long time and it was okay. It wasn't my favorite so I eventually decided to get what I really wanted, a Les Paul, so I traded in my Squire for an Epiphone (not much of a step up but at my skill level I don't really need a great guitar).

I'm still learning a lot of things about the electric guitar but one thing I can't seem to understand is why I get a distortion sound out of my clean channel when playing my Les Paul with both pickups/humbuckers or with just the rhythm one. It sounds like when you turn any sound up too much and "clipping" occurs. The only way it goes away is if I play it at either 3 or less on the volume control. Also, it goes away if I play with just the treble pickup/humbucker for the most part Is the problem with my guitar or my amp? Is this a common problem?

Current Question:

Quote by Biblmac
Since I seem to have the answer to my question and I'd rather not clutter this forum with threads, I do have another semi-related question to ask.

It seems like with my new guitar, my Fender frontman just won't do anymore, so I need a new amp.

Budget: Less than $400

Genres: I have been playing mostly Switchfoot lately, such as this song. However I'd like to get into something more like this. Basically meaning mostly rock and punk, (I think).

New Or Used: For me, this doesn't matter. I'll take anything I can get.

Home or Gig: Primarily home. I'm not in a band, and I'm not looking to join one, I have just been fascinated with guitar since I was young and love playing.

Closest City: Wilkes Barre, PA is 10 or so minutes away and Scranton is 25 minutes away. Philly is 2 or so hours from where I am.

Current Gear: Epiphone Les Paul Standard and Fender Frontman 25R

Goal: Get a new amp and possibly a pedal.

Questions:
1) What would fit me better, a half/mini stack or combo tube amp?

2) What are good brands as far as tube amps go?

3) Is my budget too low for a decent amp?

Any suggestions would be wonderful. I'm not looking for something spectacular, just something to help me learn and progress until I decide whether I'm ready to pump thousands of dollars into this hobby. Thanks.

I've changed the thread title to fit the change in topic. Thanks for all the replies.
Last edited by Biblmac at Jan 3, 2012,
Just sounds like a bad practice amp.

What amp is it?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Wow, can't believe I didn't post the amp, I totally meant to. It's a Fender Frontman 25R, I plan on eventually upgrading to a tube amp, but I didn't want to do it this soon...
That's your issue.
Beginner practice amps such as that don't have the headroom to be turned up past 2 or 3 usually.
Also, you've switched to a guitar with a higher output than your old one, and you're clipping it.... for lack of a bertter term at the moment.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

The master volume shouldn't be affecting anything other than how loud it is, are you talking about the drive volume? If you're getting distortion or clipping with that & the gain both turned down, it sounds like you have a faulty amp & could potentially need to get it looked at professionally.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I didn't know what else to call it, there's probably a technical term, but I've always called it clipping. I guess I'll just use this as an excuse to get a new amp then.

@Gary, nope, there is a switch to engage drive, which is currently off. When my volume is down there is no problem but the louder it goes the more prominent the distortion noise becomes.
Last edited by Biblmac at Jan 3, 2012,
Quote by GaryBillington
The master volume shouldn't be affecting anything other than how loud it is, are you talking about the drive volume? If you're getting distortion or clipping with that & the gain both turned down, it sounds like you have a faulty amp & could potentially need to get it looked at professionally.

I've got the Frontman 15 and it does the exact same thing. I always assumed it was power stage breakup but just in a crappy solid state amp which is why it sounds like arse.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Last edited by gilly_90 at Jan 3, 2012,
Since I seem to have the answer to my question and I'd rather not clutter this forum with threads, I do have another semi-related question to ask.

It seems like with my new guitar, my Fender frontman just won't do anymore, so I need a new amp.

Budget: Less than $400

Genres: I have been playing mostly Switchfoot lately, such as this song. However I'd like to get into something more like this. Basically meaning mostly rock and punk, (I think).

New Or Used: For me, this doesn't matter. I'll take anything I can get.

Home or Gig: Primarily home. I'm not in a band, and I'm not looking to join one, I have just been fascinated with guitar since I was young and love playing.

Closest City: Wilkes Barre, PA is 10 or so minutes away and Scranton is 25 minutes away. Philly is 2 or so hours from where I am.

Current Gear: Epiphone Les Paul Standard and Fender Frontman 25R

Goal: Get a new amp and possibly a pedal.

Questions:
1) What would fit me better, a half/mini stack or combo tube amp?

2) What are good brands as far as tube amps go?

3) Is my budget too low for a decent amp?

Any suggestions would be wonderful. I'm not looking for something spectacular, just something to help me learn and progress until I decide whether I'm ready to pump thousands of dollars into this hobby. Thanks.

I've changed the thread title to fit the change in topic. Thanks for all the replies.
2 of you? Could just be a Frontman trait then. I've never gone beyond trying them in a shop, and I wasn't impressed enough to buy one but even so, they weren't distorting when they shouldn't be at the volumes I was allowed to test.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I appreciate the input Gary. I can't really say what the problem is, considering I have little to no experience with amps as this is my first one. However what I do know is that I'm not really satisfied with it which gives me a great excuse to upgrade.
With that list of requirements, definitely look at the Orange Tiny Terror combo. Keep in mind that I have very little idea about prices so I'd have no idea if one would be in budget.

Other good little amps are the Vox Night Train (I'm thinking the 15w version), there's a 15w Soldano that might be out of price range and the Marshall Haze gets very conflicting reviews.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

If you have the money to spend, do it - a new amp will always provide more benefit than a new guitar, especially when you already have a good Epiphone to play with on your new amp. If you were playing something like an Encore or Stagg as your main guitar the advice might have been different, but in your situation a new amp is definitely the next step.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks Gilly, I looked at those in particular amps you referenced and I don't think any of them were under $400 which is currently my price range. The only orange in my price range is the Cursh PiX series. As far as the Marshal one, it is also a bit too high priced, the cheapest haze being about $500 or so. The Vox Night Train has one in the price range, however, so maybe I'll go with that... Thanks for your input. I'll definitely look into them all.
Just be careful with low wattage valve amps that they'll break up fairly easily too when turned up.
The difference will be that it will still sound good, it just won't be particularily clean.

Hence the reason I'm currently saving for a 50w Rockerverb. Partially for the quality hike, but mostly for the extra clean headroom it gives me.

My reccomendation would be that if you decide you don't like the low wattage valve amps then you're going to need to eagle-eye the used market and get lucky on something 30w+ preferably. But that might take a while depending on where you live, I know it would probably take me years but there is no second hand market around here really.

EDIT: but for just playing around with at home, my Tiny Terror can stay clean just fine so low wattage shouldn't be an issue for you.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Last edited by gilly_90 at Jan 3, 2012,
Thanks Gilly. I'll visit my local music store and try some out, then decide what I'm looking for. Thanks for the information again.