Hello all,

I currently have a LTD EC1000 with emg's playing on a peavey 6505+112. I really like the amp and the guitar. I was wondering if using a tube screamer or a similar pedal would be useful. Or should I even bother since I have active pups?

My tone seems a little thin at times so I'm looking to improve on it .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thin?

Roughly, what settings do you have your amp at?

I don't see the downside to a tubescreamer and active pickups.

Also if you're not playing with a bassist, don't expect to have as thick a sounds as you get on CD and such. Just making sure
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Do you scoop your mids? If you do... Your tone will always sound thin. The only way it would have body is if you were recording tracks and you double or triple tracked it. Otherwise... Throw in some mids.
it's a never ending battle to find the tone thats just right, i've never owned a 6505 but with any high gain amp mids are your best friend. depending on what tone you want will determine your EQ, if you want that metallica type of tone then thats pure mid scoop. TS are nice but it doesn't mean it will fix the problem. i know that peavey has the pre and post gain settings so maybe mess around with those more, bring the bass up more than the treble, and THEN worry about a pedal being thrown into the mix.

A lot of people tend to use the TS to go on top of the gain you already have coming out the amp, to me that doesn't always have to be the case but it might be what you need. if you want to keep your amp gain then i would stick with OD, if you wanna change it up then maybe look into getting a distortion pedal.

good luck and have fun

E
Thanks for the replies.

I have my pre at 5, low about 3, mid at 4 and hi around 3. Presence and resonance at 4.5. It sounds pretty good at these settings.

I have a $200 credit at my local music shop and was thinking about a tube screamer because I was told it would "tighten up" my my overdrive. I don't know if it would be worth it since I am already sending a high signal to the amp with the active pups.
You should look into some different pickups. As soon as I bought my EC-1000, I bought some EMG-X pickups, which don't sound nearly as sterile as normal (especially the 81). I'm loving the sound now. (60/85 mix)
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Quote by GenrlStonewall
Thanks for the replies.

I have my pre at 5, low about 3, mid at 4 and hi around 3. Presence and resonance at 4.5. It sounds pretty good at these settings.

I have a $200 credit at my local music shop and was thinking about a tube screamer because I was told it would "tighten up" my my overdrive. I don't know if it would be worth it since I am already sending a high signal to the amp with the active pups.

Try raising all your setting (except resonance) while keeping the ratio the same. Also, how loud are you playing your amp? Anything less then 1 and 1/2 will sound pretty thin regardless.
When the wife isn't home I'll hit 5 or 6 . I'll play around with my settings some more before I go spending money on something I might not really get any benefit from.

Thank you all for the replies.
the tubescreamer does two things.

1. hits V1 harder
2. shapes tone. from what i have heard, a ts peaks around 400hz depending on model

if i were you i would have a boost. as would a vast percentage of 6505 players.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by GenrlStonewall
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah honestly you gotta bring that EQ out more, on any amp you never wanna have the EQ that low. maybe put the bass at like 8, and the highs somewhere between 6 and 8, mids you can change more frequently. I actually played through a 6505 the other day and this is where I EQed it to, roughly, i dont remember exactly. you should notice a huge difference after that

E
yeah, those EQ settings are pretty low. I play mine Low:6 MID:5.5 HIGH:6.5 PRES:7 RES:7 GAIN 4.5 + TS9

TS9 settings:
GAIN All the way to the left or (off)
TONE: MIDDLE or "noon:
Volume: "noon"

I've heard a lot of folks run their TS alot harder but i keep mine pretty subtle. It just adds this clarity to the "Chugga Chugga's" thats only described as awesome sauce!
Try the infamous 666 setting. Set everything at 6 across the board.
Quote by 667
Try the infamous 666 setting. Set everything at 6 across the board.

can't tell if serious. but I suppose you could put all your settings to here or somewhere flat and add and remove from the different bands to find what sound you like
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Last edited by RealGuitarHero at Jan 4, 2012,
1) How is the 1x12 cab placed?

Sitting on the floor against a wall sounds much different than sitting on chair angled to focus the speaker towards the ears. Setting the amp in a corner, off the floor, a bit away from the wall changes the way the amp sounds too.

2) A quiet bedroom setting will often be much different than what may sound good when the volume is turned up.

A speaker at a quiet volume is not moving very much therefore may not reproduce all the available sound frequencies accurately.

Typically, one adds more treble at lower volumes and reduces the treble at higher volumes.

Also, when cranked, too much bass has tendency to overwhelm the sound and become boomy. This is magnified by how the cabinet is placed. So maybe a little less bass too.

(These frequencies would be taken up by the bass guitar in a band setting anyway. Get used to not hearing them when playing by yourself.)

Think of the EQ like a dimmer switch on a light fixture. When you turn on the light to its brightest setting, this is like your EQ knob set on its maximum, 10 for example. When you dim the light, obviously less light comes through the fixture. Ditto for the EQ knob. Rolling back on the EQ lets less frequency pass to the speaker.

3) The guitar is a midrange instrument. Use the treble and bass to shape the midrange.

4) Do not forget that the volume and tone knob on the guitar can help shape the tone too. Finding a good tone with the volume and tone set about 7 or 70% allows for that last 30% to be used for a solo boost and the last bit on the tone knob gives some wiggle room.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
can't tell if serious. but I suppose you could put all your settings to here or somewhere flat and add and remove from the different bands to find what sound you like

doesn't have to be 666, or 555, but that is IMO the best way EQing an amp. start at 555. turn the mids up to 7, either raise or lower the bass and treble to see what you like better. change the mids again, maybe down to 3 or 4 (woudn't ever go under IMO) and shape with the treble and bass knobs. play, set, play, set, rinse and repeat. it really the mids in most cases that shape the tone, so that is why i would advise that first, then find out if you like it treble heavy or bass heavy. also don't use too much gain. you don't need as much as you think. presence and resonance controls also have an influence.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/