I'm trying to paint an Explorer for a project im working on, its got a Mahogany body with a quilt top and I wanna get this kinda finish (go to Dyes, then click the black finish in the bottom left corner, then put it on quilt maple) http://www.warmoth.com/Finish/GuitarFinish.aspx but I dont wanna pay an extra $200 to get it done, and I doubt I could do all the dye stuff on my own so what do you guys think the best way to get something close to that is without having someone else do it?
Thanks for any help.
Quote by JCGGUITARS
Look Here

Buy the black

Sand off the body

but the black on by rubbing with a rag

that should do. looks hard, not really. i did it and it looks great!

Good Luck!

Thank's for the help man, how much black should i put on the rag? Alot? or just a little?
you dont need to much. you should have most of the bottle left. if you wanted to do an accuall color you could do (for example) orange with black stripes (where the grain would be) youd but black on, sand it off then do orange but if you're just doing black you should be fine rubbing it on there. you just want it moist.

Post pics when done!
Quote by JCGGUITARS
you dont need to much. you should have most of the bottle left. if you wanted to do an accuall color you could do (for example) orange with black stripes (where the grain would be) youd but black on, sand it off then do orange but if you're just doing black you should be fine rubbing it on there. you just want it moist.

Post pics when done!

Alright thanks man, I've been stressing about how to do this for a while. I appreciate the help.
Quote by DethcasT
I'm trying to paint an Explorer for a project im working on, its got a Mahogany body with a quilt top and I wanna get this kinda finish (go to Dyes, then click the black finish in the bottom left corner, then put it on quilt maple) http://www.warmoth.com/Finish/GuitarFinish.aspx but I dont wanna pay an extra $200 to get it done, and I doubt I could do all the dye stuff on my own so what do you guys think the best way to get something close to that is without having someone else do it?
Thanks for any help.

$200 is cheap for the kind of flawless finishes Warmoth is known for. Sure, anyone can do it, but to pull it off nicely requires time, tools, and above all - experience.

Good luck, hope your project turns out great!
I know 200 isn't a lot for the Warmoth finishes, but im already spending $335 on the body and $375 on the neck alone plus another $400 or $500 on hardware so I don't exactly wanna add another 200