Hey guys a while ago my guitar fell off it's stand and took a whack and now theres a pretty bad split in the back of the headstock/top of the neck. A friend of mine also did some terrible temporary DIY with some screws to stop it completely falling off which has now probably just made it worse but anyway i'm wondering whether it's going to cost more than it's worth to get it fixed or to just take it apart and ebay the rest of the good bits of the guitar? What do you think? Here are some pics of it...

http://yfrog.com/0s59123033j
http://yfrog.com/ml27419142j
That DIY is awful. But that's totally repairable. Is it worth it? Depends on how nice the guitar is.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I know I know lol. To be honest it looks really nice and sound excellent when it's properly set up but the Floyd Rose is a real hassle for me because I don't know how to use it properly...
Quote by ethan_hanus
Your pictures take forever to upload, but the deck screws are a nice touch. What kind of guitar is it? And is the neck a bolt on neck?

Sorry it's an Ibanez RG350 and yeah it's bolt on.
What's the model? It says on the back of the headstock on Ibanez guitars.

Edit: Ninja'd

RG350's are OK but not great. Trems on them suck. Go to a luthier in a guitar shop and get a quote. You make the decision from there.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 3, 2012,
A screw? Really?
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
From what I'm seeing, any replacement neck is gonna be around $150-$200 and the guitar ain't worth even $500 apparently... Having a shop fix it might cost the same as just getting a new neck...so I'd say scrap it and buy a new guitar...or replace the neck.
Quote by Sumlover41
A screw? Really?

A Sum41 fan? Really but seriously I know...lol

Yeah that's what I thought Ethan...ah well
You could repair that, shouldnt actually be that difficult

All you would need is glue like titebond and a clamp. For the cost of glue and a clamp, its worth a shot as you should be able to repair it near perfectly even DIY. Ofc if the instrument is worth a lot of money I would get it repaired by a luthier.

EDIT: http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0034.html

Here is a guide using hide glue, again something I would do myself if the guitar isnt worth a fortune.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Last edited by Snapple at Jan 3, 2012,
Quote by Snapple
You could repair that, shouldnt actually be that difficult

All you would need is glue like titebond and a clamp. For the cost of glue and a clamp, its worth a shot as you should be able to repair it near perfectly even DIY. Ofc if the instrument is worth a lot of money I would get it repaired by a luthier.

+1.

Even if you fail you can go buy a cheap replacement for 100$ on ebay.
Might as well try to repair it yourself first as its certainly not worth paying to have it fixed.
Or just buy a new one. I tried to sell mine for 6 months at 180$, no one wanted it.
is the instrument really expensive? like one you want to keep original? find the same model neck or have a luthier fix it.

is it still kind worth something? get a quote from a luther or buy another brand compatible neck.

is the buy cheap? part it. you ruined it the second you put a screw into it. a good craftsman can bond the neck back together quite well.

you just did 5x more damage to the neck than the crack actually did. you just put 4 messy holes in i for no reason. sorry to bust your bubble, but it was a rash decision.

...and a luthier cant glue holes. holes need to be filled. more work and money.
Is it entirely worth getting a repair on that?

If you really want to, you can get parts available on ebay, and i saw 2 RG350 necks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Ibanez-RG350EX-AANJ-Wizard-II-Guitar-Neck-GN-1711-/280800899875?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item416109b323

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Ibanez-RG350MDX-AANJ-Wizard-II-Guitar-Neck-GN-1745-/270886468820?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f12177cd4

One has a maple fretboard if you want something different

These will go straight in as ibanez have used the same neck heel and screw configuration for a while which probably make it easy to replace. and really you can place your tuners in your neck plus the locking nut and it should be good to go.

Otherwise, get another guitar unless its precious to you.

If i was in the position? I would get myself a new guitar. unless its my PRS, which gladly is also a bolt on and i can find replacements for
Just buy a new neck, they're all over ebay.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Just buy a new neck, they're all over ebay.

Its barely worth it after shipping if its an old 350 w/ edge3.
Neck is 100$, 35-50 shipping, used rg350 for 200$ easy.
Easy, easy fix. Buy some wood glue and a couple clamps from a hard ware store. Apply the glue, clamp the break (sandwich the headstock between two other pieces of wood so the clamps themselves don't dent your headstock), wipe off any left over glue with a wet rag, let it sit for 24 hours, remove the clamp and smooth it out with some sand paper. Done.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
As above. But while your at it buy some really strong super glue and stick the friend who put the screws in it fingers together and then to his hands and his hands together so he never feels the need to touch an instrument ever again, belt and braces would be his lips too to stop him putting the idea in someone else head
i'm not sure about super glue but i've done this before and i just used good wood glue and that thing will be as strong as ever. Dimebag used to break his headstock all the time and seemed to work well for him.
Gonna give that a go tonight cheers guys, one other thing which might sound stupid but...I heard that removing all the strings at the same time can mess up the neck? Is this true? It's just one of the strings snapped off a while ago and because I haven't used it for a while the strings look a bit rusty so they need to come off for a few days until I pick up some new strings.
When it comes to removing all the strings, just detune them gradually over 20-30mins.

As long as you gradually remove the tension, you shouldnt do any damage to the neck.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Taking all the string off at once on any neck won't damage it. That's a myth.

Otherwise, all those guitars with Floyd Rose trems will have warped necks when you dive the bar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R