You are writing a song.
You don't have lyrics yet, but you have a melody that you really like.
You play it to a friend.
He/she says it sounds exactly like a song that you've never heard, but is very popular in another country. They show it to you on youtube to prove it. It sounds identical.

Do you finish the song, or do you abandon it since it's already been done?
Doesn't matter has melody.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
It has happened to me. I finish the song. My song was however a song a band that we are good friends with wrote that my mate love that I have heard very very little from.

But my piece of music is instrumental and follows the same piano line when it comes to high notes as this particular song. I don't care really. I've taken bits from music here and there before. Both lyrics, melodies and names on songs etc.
I do it as a tribute and with respect to my favourite artists. Not because I'm a thief.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jan 3, 2012,
Change it slightly & continue
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Last edited by seeneyj at Jan 3, 2012,
Quote by Dopemgs
unless you're dillinger escape plan or Tool, you're gonna be a rip-off

Phew, then it's still possible for me to be good.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Phew, then it's still possible for me to be good.

You listen to Bob Dylan, this joke is just in poor taste.
Quote by blake1221
You listen to Bob Dylan, this joke is just in poor taste.

It wasn't a joke.
I remember writing a song that has had the same riff as the intro of Metallica's Fade To Black. At that time I have never heard the song or any Metallica so when I got the Black album and got to Fade To Black I was like ****... A random riff I wrote that was created by Kirk Hammett 23 years earlier. I was liking the riff that time but thinking back it actually sucks...
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

Heehee, I'm just playin'.

OT: Abandon it. If it's too similar, there's less artistic merit, and less of a point to finishing. I'd just feel shoddy about going through with it afterwards.
Any way of uploading it here and people can have a listen to it? Is it awfully similiar or just one friend who thought it sounded like that?

Don't give it up.
It happens.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by 13Trivium13
I remember writing a song that has had the same riff as the intro of Metallica's Fade To Black. At that time I have never heard the song or any Metallica so when I got the Black album and got to Fade To Black I was like ****... A random riff I wrote that was created by Kirk Hammett 23 years earlier. I was liking the riff that time but thinking back it actually sucks...

Fade To Black is on Ride the Lightning.

OT I'd say keep it as long as the rest of the song doesn't follow the song you're "ripping off" too much.
Quote by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.
I did that once. Only i discovered that it sounded completely identical to Lay It Down by Ratt.

I kicked my cabinet in.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I remember "coming up with" the riff to Burn by Deep Purple, but in a different key.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
So what? Keep it, the arrangement and mood of the piece is what defines the song. Or try playing the same melody over different chords.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Harmonize it?
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
That happens to me more than I wish it would, but through all of them, I've come to appreciate the fact that I come up with stuff that is "good" since it's the same as something already established and liked by me...unless you go overboard, the similarities will probably be lost within the larger amount of differences.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I come up with a lot of ideas so i can choose to discard the rip offs

It just takes me months to finish songs
I would mix it up a bit. Change the rhythm and speed. Plus I would add some extra parts so it wouldn't sound the same.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Watch out. Cat Stevens, er, Yusaf Islam might sue you for plagirism even though your song sounds nothing like his and there's at least a dozen different songs that sound exactly like the Cat Stevens song in question.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
If it's identical, there's no point finishing it. It's already been written and played, the only point in playing it yourself would be to stubbornly claim it for yourself.

If it's just a bit remeniscent though, as most of these things are, and similar ideas are being used for different reasons, keep it.
Keep writing dude! Maybe you could change the key that its in, change the way you accent it, if you're putting drums to it make them different, come up with some other cool riffs for a verse/ chorus and walla, will sound completely different
Thought back to an article I read re: Cigarettes & Alcohol - Oasis

As Noel Gallagher tells it, when he brought the song to their rehearsal space in a Manchester basement, the band’s rhythm guitarist Paul “Bonehead” Arthurs immediately objected to the riff. As Noel played the opening chords, Bonehead interjected with, “whoa, whoa, you can’t use that riff, that’s ****ing T.Rex.” to which Noel replied, “I don’t give a **** who it is, no one’s gonna hear it anyway”. Apparently the bands who shared the rehearsal space with Oasis weren’t too impressed either. The band arrived one day to find a note with the words, “write your own ****ing riffs!” taped to the door.

Charges of plagiarism be damned: a great song is a great song.
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by entity0009
This is why I play experimental noisedrone.

So you can plagiarize Sunn O)))) songs?

BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
So you can plagiarize Sunn O)))) songs?

Pfft, I'd like to see Sunn O))) do a drone song with a didgeridoo run through a distortion pedal.

>_>
🙈 🙉 🙊
I've done it with loads. Crazy train by ozzy and holding my own by the darkness to name 2.
I changed the crazy train riff into something similar that sounds completely different and ditched the holding my own sounding thing.