Page 1 of 2
So due to my budget, I was shopping around for a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo and saw one at Guitar Center and played it a little. Wasn't bad. Overall a pretty good sounding amp. I was getting ready to buy it and then remembered that there was a Sam Ash a good friend of mine worked at down the road not more than a few minutes away. I thought, hey why not, and took a little ride down there. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a 5150 212 listed for 800 used with a brand new set of tubes just put in. It was more than I wanted to spend though, so I talked to my pal there who always helps me out and I was able to talk it down to 500 plus tax and I couldn't be happier with it. Here it is!

First of all, this thing sounds like the apocalypse. It cuts like nobodies business and it's a tone monster. I'm new to tube amps so I'm not exactly sure what tubes would benefit it most when the current ones are shot, but the ones in it (they're Groove Tubes) aren't too bad. I heard JJ's sound great in the 5150/6505's though, so when these go, I'm probably going to get those. The clean channel is actually surprisingly good and a lot better than the clean channel on the 6505+ 112 I was considering before I stumbled upon this. It's not something to write home about but it isn't unusable like a lot of people seem to think. Even after just messing around for a few minutes with the EQ, I got a surprisingly warm tone out of it for what it is. But the real story here is obviously the Lead channel and my god... it's incredible. It's that classic 5150/6505 tone that I personally love. And holy crap is this thing loud... on 1 it's a really good volume for practicing in the basement and a little above that, and I can keep up with my brother on drums for jams. It's a workhouse and it packs a hell of a punch with a good palm mute. It's that crunchy, dirty, punchy, cutting attack that I always wanted tonally.

Other than the sound though, it's in really good shape. I completely took it apart last night when I got it to check the board and the inside to make sure everything was in working order and to clean some of the dust out and give it a general cleaning, and it's all where it needs to be. There's a few little rips in the tolex and a couple minor scratches by the switches on the metal plate up top and the metal corners, but other than that, it's in great shape. That's all expected wear in my opinion and it's minimal to say the least.

But yeah, what can be said about a 5150 that everybody already doesn't know. It does metal and hard rock like a champ, it's built like a tank, and, for me at least, the tone is what I've always wanted from a high gain amp. I absolutely love it. It's leaps and bounds better than the Bogner Spider Valve 212 I had and got rid of before it and compared to the Spider III 30 I've been playing for the last year to afford a good tube amp... doesn't even compare... it's a monster and I'm really looking forward to making it my own. On the list though is definiately a noise gate and maybe a tube screamer or OD808 because they really make a 5150/6505 scream (my friend's 6505+ sounds incredible with the added punch of his OD808). But other than that, that's what I got! Thanks guys!

P.S. If anyone has tips or things to get to improve this thing and make it that much better, let me know! Pedal recommendations, tube brands, or other general stuff would be awesome!

EDIT -
Here's just a little video of me messing around with it and playing some random stuff. From 0:31 to 2:50 in the video is the rhythm part of a song I wrote if anyone's curious (there's another video on my channel of it fully done with a GuitarPro backing track. It's called "Cherenkov Syndrome" if you're interested haha) but anyway, here's a little video I whipped up messing around with the amp. Haven't really dialed in anything perfect yet but this is what I was able to come up with tone wise in a few minutes just messing with the dials and the EQ. Also, ignore my messy basement and my awkward guitar playing faces hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUrDHxE_8xc
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Last edited by Krauser at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by coolstoryangus
speaker upgrade is always a good shout with pv combos

Yeah when I get the cash, I was planning on throwing a set of Vintage 30's in it. I have the money for it now, but after playing with my guitar for a little, I could use a new bridge pup for my Prestige. The DiMarzio/Ibz's are really showing off their mediocre-ness with this one haha. I'm probably going to get a D-Activator X for the bridge and leave the rest as it is because I like the tone from the neck pup... it's just the bridge pickup that's lacking punch and power.
Taylor 214CE

br00talz

that is one heavy amp....in a lot of ways. I've moved and played a 6505+212.

Great review too. I would only disagree that I thought the new 112 had better cleans but hell - not a big deal with an amp like this.

HN5150D
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
br00talz

that is one heavy amp....in a lot of ways. I've moved and played a 6505+212.

Great review too. I would only disagree that I thought the new 112 had better cleans but hell - not a big deal with an amp like this.

HN5150D

Thanks!

And oh god it's heavy... literally... it weighs a ton haha and maybe I just didn't spend enough time messing with the 112's clean when I played it and trying it in a guitar center with a bunch of people playing other amps probably didn't help out either. Also, the acoustics of my basement are better than the metal rack the 112 was on in Guitar Center
Taylor 214CE

Nice amp, but your buddy sold it for what those normaly go for. I missed out on one about 9 yrs ago for $400 but I bought a Line 6 spider insted oh well Guess I learned from that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Nice amp, but your buddy sold it for what those normaly go for. I missed out on one about 9 yrs ago for $400 but I bought a Line 6 spider insted oh well Guess I learned from that

eh I thought it was pretty good my other option was to order one online for cheap on ebay or something but then shipping came out to redonkulousness... and I don't mess with craigslist =P how's the 333 btw? I noticed it in your sig
Taylor 214CE

Glad you were able to get it for the price you wanted! Definetly better than the 112s. Maybe get a chorus pedal for the clean channel though? Regardless,

HNAD!
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^^ true but that is still a good price coming from Sam Ash. $300 off tag.

Yes that is true, but it is still a very nice combo reguardless.

And yes those are monstrous amps. Hope he eats Wheaties
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes that is true, but it is still a very nice combo reguardless.

And yes those are monstrous amps. Hope he eats Wheaties

I gotta start with how heavy this thing is but for now, it's got its nice little home in the basement next to the drum set
Taylor 214CE

that is very nice, im leaning towards getting a 6505 112 myself.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Krauser
eh I thought it was pretty good my other option was to order one online for cheap on ebay or something but then shipping came out to redonkulousness... and I don't mess with craigslist =P how's the 333 btw? I noticed it in your sig

I really like the 333, actualy I like it better than the Peavey XXX (erecting flame sheld). I only payed $425 new for it, and I really needed an amp for shows when mine blew-up. It was either the Peavey VK100 or the 333 and the 333 seemed more like what I was looking for.

And like 311 said at least your friend was looking out for you, because all the Sam Ashes I have ever been to are a rip-off on alot of gear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I really like the 333, actualy I like it better than the Peavey XXX (erecting flame sheld). I only payed $425 new for it, and I really needed an amp for shows when mine blew-up. It was either the Peavey VK100 or the 333 and the 333 seemed more like what I was looking for.

And like 311 said at least your friend was looking out for you, because all the Sam Ashes I have ever been to are a rip-off on alot of gear

Word I know what you mean. I usually only buy used stuff online (I got my Prestige on eBay haha) but this ended up being my cheapest option. There were a few online for cheaper but with shipping it came out more expensive anyway. And yeah I was asking because I was looking at a 333XL but never got the chance to play one in person and wasn't going to buy an amp without playing it first.
Taylor 214CE

Awesome amp, dude. I owned a 6505 112+ a while back, had some good times with it. Definitely look into Vintage 30's. Awesome upgrade for any amp, especially Peaveys.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Basically, that's pretty ****ing awesome TS. HNAD.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
The sheer weight of that amp is why I got rid of mine.

I see yours has top handles though. Lucky. I had one of the very first ones. No top handles, nothing. I still have nightmares about moving that thing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
nice! congrats on the score.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I am so jealous.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Thanks for the comments guys. Here's just a little video of me messing around with it and playing some random stuff. From 0:31 to 2:50 in the video is the rhythm part of a song I wrote if anyone's curious (there's another video on my channel of it fully done with a GuitarPro backing track. It's called "Cherenkov Syndrome" if you're interested haha) but anyway, here's a little video I whipped up messing around with the amp. Haven't really dialed in anything perfect yet but this is what I was able to come up with tone wise in a few minutes just messing with the dials and the EQ. Also, ignore my messy basement and my awkward guitar playing faces hahaha

Taylor 214CE

Last edited by Krauser at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by Krauser
Thanks for the comments guys. Here's just a little video of me messing around with it and playing some random stuff. From 0:31 to 2:50 in the video is the rhythm part of a song I wrote if anyone's curious (there's another video on my channel of it fully done with a GuitarPro backing track. It's called "Cherenkov Syndrome" if you're interested haha) but anyway, here's a little video I whipped up messing around with the amp. Haven't really dialed in anything perfect yet but this is what I was able to come up with tone wise in a few minutes just messing with the dials and the EQ. Also, ignore my messy basement and my awkward guitar playing faces hahaha

Sounds like a 5150, grats
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
cool riff and i wish my fingers were that long

thats funny dude. but yeaha wesome riff.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
cool riff and i wish my fingers were that long

Thanks and yeah, I guess I do have long fingers
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Sounds like a 5150, grats

Not sure if being sarcastic but yeah I like the tone of a 5150/6505... so it better sound like a 5150!
Taylor 214CE

Quote by Krauser

Not sure if being sarcastic but yeah I like the tone of a 5150/6505... so it better sound like a 5150!

I use to own one, it's pretty good for what it is, if you are after that br00tz/metalcore type tone.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I use to own one, it's pretty good for what it is, if you are after that br00tz/metalcore type tone.

I mostly play metal and write metal/hard rock with the occasional clean stuff. So this amp is pretty much all I need. That said, the clean channel leaves a little to be desired. Of course I would love to own a Mesa or ENGL but I just don't have that kind of money. That said, I like the tone I've been getting out of this for metal better than anything I've been able to get out of the Mesa's I've tried. Don't get me wrong, they're excellent amps and they're waaaay more versatile but I pretty much found the tone that suits me with this amp. The only amp I've played that has a high gain tone I might prefer to this is the ENGL Invader but I just can't afford that and it's not exactly feasible for me personally haha so, for now, this is the best amp for what I've been looking for.
Taylor 214CE

Quote by Krauser
I mostly play metal and write metal/hard rock with the occasional clean stuff. So this amp is pretty much all I need. That said, the clean channel leaves a little to be desired. Of course I would love to own a Mesa or ENGL but I just don't have that kind of money. That said, I like the tone I've been getting out of this for metal better than anything I've been able to get out of the Mesa's I've tried. Don't get me wrong, they're excellent amps and they're waaaay more versatile but I pretty much found the tone that suits me with this amp. The only amp I've played that has a high gain tone I might prefer to this is the ENGL Invader but I just can't afford that and it's not exactly feasible for me personally haha so, for now, this is the best amp for what I've been looking for.

It's cool, 500 for a 5150 2x12 is a killer deal IMO.

Doesn't really get better than that
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Krauser

There is a lot of stuff I struggle to play (can't play) because I have have short fingers.

v....ha ha, yeah that is good motivation
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 4, 2012,
HNAD

As for tubescreamers:
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
HNAD

As for tubescreamers:

Thanks man and I've never actually used a Green Rhino but I've heard good things. My girlfriend's getting me a belated Christmas/birthday (birthday's the 26th of December haha) and she wanted to get me a pedal for the amp so maybe I'll swing it past her I'm just curious what I should be getting first. I was thinking I should be spending money on a decent noise gate before I get an overdrive though...
Taylor 214CE

Well, you do really need a noise gate with a 5150. The noise was why I was never tempted to buy one and noise gates were pretty crappy back then. Get yourself a Decimator first.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Well, you do really need a noise gate with a 5150. The noise was why I was never tempted to buy one and noise gates were pretty crappy back then. Get yourself a Decimator first.

The noise/feedback isn't as bad as I was expecting with my 5150 but it's definitely something I want to eliminate before I start jacking it up with a tubscreamer. I was thinking about an MXR SmartGate personally. Then again, the pedal game is new to me as is the tube amp world. This is the first tube ample I've truly owned besides the Spider Valve 212 I had, and that had a bunch of stuff like a gate in it already and effects out the ass that I never really used.
Taylor 214CE

Nobody buys an amp like that for cleans anyways. Maybe an intro now and then.

HNAD!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Offworld92
The sheer weight of that amp is why I got rid of mine.

I see yours has top handles though. Lucky. I had one of the very first ones. No top handles, nothing. I still have nightmares about moving that thing.

This. My old 6505 was a real back-breaker. It was almost as bad as trying to pick up my buddy's Fender Twin. And keep in mind, it was a 112, vs. the Twin's 212. I moved back to half-stack territory just so I wouldn't have that problem. More to carry around, sure, but easier to pick up.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Quite some time ago somebody invented a thing called a trolley. You guys may want to investigate that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^Is that all you ever talk about is your trolley?

Bring your girlfriend to your gigs more often. Women: not just for the kitchen
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."

It just amazes me that people are lugging these big amps around by hand. It's stupid and unnecessary.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification