how can i play eighth and sixteenth notes quite quickly? im struggling with my soloing coz atm its slow as shit. im trying to play "ídes of march' and at times that requires some fast finger work. any tips or exercises? thx
Read all the stickies, they have the answers you need.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
METRONOME.

Start slow.

Play each note perfect at a slow speed and gradually increase the tempo until you are at full speed. You will get faster with time and proper practice, guaranteed.

As far as exercises go, the age old chromatic 1,2,3,4 horizontally and vertically on the neck can do no harm and improves your finger independence and strength. Just change up the pattern and go through em all..

1,2,3,4 / 1,2,4,3 / 1,3,2,4 / 1,3,4,2 , etc,etc,etc

And yes, reading the stickies will help you to.

Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Jan 3, 2012,
Honestly the big key is to just play alot with good technique. I agree with using a metronome, its a great practice tool! And practicing slow does help. BUT the biggest thing is to find some licks you REALLY love and play them over and over slow AND fast (Most people just say slow, BUT if u never try to play fast, you will probably eventually get bored. its good to get the FEELING of playing fast even if it is sloppy for awhile. HOWEVER USE GOOD TECHNIQUE when playing fast.) And work on theory if you dont know it and always make your own licks, and practice those up to speed.
Edit: ALSO playing fast isnt as important imo as playing with good phrasing and control! A solo can be sick slow OR fast. speed isnt everything
Last edited by awesomo41894 at Jan 3, 2012,
And work on left hand fingering, I've found the picking hand speeds up faster than my fingers. Try exercises with left hand only to build speed and accuracy with the fretting hand.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
METRONOME.

Start slow.

Play each note perfect at a slow speed and gradually increase the tempo until you are at full speed. You will get faster with time and proper practice, guaranteed.

As far as exercises go, the age old chromatic 1,2,3,4 horizontally and vertically on the neck can do no harm and improves your finger independence and strength. Just change up the pattern and go through em all..

1,2,3,4 / 1,2,4,3 / 1,3,2,4 / 1,3,4,2 , etc,etc,etc

And yes, reading the stickies will help you to.

^This
Soloing is not all about speed. Not at all. I hear lots of people playing very fast, in key solos, but they just don't sound good. It's really just a matter of experience and learning other people's solos, then learning when to play fast and when to slow down
I hate my sig
Quote by Spaztikko
how can i play eighth and sixteenth notes quite quickly? im struggling with my soloing coz atm its slow as shit. im trying to play "ídes of march' and at times that requires some fast finger work. any tips or exercises? thx

You might want to consider analyzing the economy of both your picking hand and fretting hands motions. Ask yourself these questions.

Fretting Hand:
-Am I to tense?
-Are my fingers lifting really high off the fret board?
-Are the fingerings for the patterns Im using as efficient as they could be?

Picking Hand:
-Am i overstrumming?
-Does my pick come away from the strings each time i pick?

Those are just a few. It will help if you analyze some really good players to see how their technique is and do your best to learn what you can from it.

Hope this helps.
I'm sure you already know this, but just incase, if you want to play fast you should be alternate strumming.
My problems with soloing is that I strum way too fast and I don't strum at the same time I place my fingers on my fretting hand.
Its probably due to not practicing slow at first, and tensing up while doing it. I always try to stay relaxed.