I'm finally ready to move on from my Fender Squier, and am looking at getting a Gibson SG Faded. The cherry SG has been my guitar crush for awhile, though the worn brown is starting to look pretty damn sexy... thoughts? :P

Anyway, I just wanted to know what people thought of them. I'll be trying one out this weekend hopefully. Any other guitar recommendations for a versatile guitarist (with a focus on rock and blues) that are $700 or under? I'll be running it through a Peavey Vypyr.
try out an Epiphone Les Paul (not the $200 one) they're pretty good for a good price
Quote by darkstar2466
You will get large cacti inserted into your anus for the heinous crime of piracy.

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I wanna go down on you Jesus, I wanna feel your salvation all over my face

My signature lacks content.
It is, however, blue.
Faded SG's are good guitars, but there are some bad ones. I think they look a bit ugly. Try before you buy.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Necks are kinda thick for me. I didn't care for it all that much. It sounds nice enough, but something about the neck threw me off from playing it extensively. I had a Faded Flying V though and it felt great. Lightweight, great balance to it, and a nice powerful sound. The tuners that come on them are kind of cheap though. They could do with an upgrade.
If you go used you can score the Faded SG for$400ish, then you have $$ left-over for something else.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I feel like the "Faded" series is probably the worst stuff Gibson makes... That being said, it's still a Gibson.
I had the same budget as you and ended up trying a ton of guitars (spent an hour divebombing on floyds knowing I won't get a guitar with a floyd rose trem )

I didn't particularly like the SG or LP faded. Ended up going home with a PRS SE.

The finish on the neck, or lack thereof, didn't appeal to me. It felt a bit...off....

Again, try before you buy. Some people like them, some don't
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you go used you can score the Faded SG for$400ish, then you have $$ left-over for something else.

+1. Honestly, I think $700 is a little overpriced for what you get, it's hard to think any other way than "but it's a Gibson".

They are absolutely great values used though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Is that Vypyr a tube? If not, maybe you should keep saving and get a new amp?
You never know what temporal days may bring, laugh, love,live free and sing, when life is in discord, praise ye the Lord-Anberlin

Science is crazy!
Save up and get a Charvel So Cal. Seriously, it's like a $1500-$2000 guitar for a little under a grand w/ taxes.
Quote by Offworld92
+1. Honestly, I think $700 is a little overpriced for what you get, it's hard to think any other way than "but it's a Gibson".

They are absolutely great values used though.

i am not going get into a pissing match, but Fender's HWY1 are the same price last time i checked. yes the finishes are very different. i haven't played a ton of HWY1's its not that i don't like them, its just seems pretty equal IMO as far as what you get.

my faded SG is a one piece body, the pickups are about as good as you can get for diversity to make most players happy, and they sound very nice. i think the bridge and tailpiece are higher quality than the fender bridge.

the HWY1, is similar. passable pickups (not as versatile in relativity to its tone) the 9.5" radius not the most ideal for some. probably has better tuners. probably has a better cut nut.

seems like a toss up for me.

YMMV
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ I meant in general, not just compared to the HWY1.

I mean, for the same price you could get an LTD Deluxe with locking tuners and possibly a locking bridge. And you'll definitely get consistent build quality.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ I meant in general, not just compared to the HWY1.

I mean, for the same price you could get an LTD Deluxe with locking tuners and possibly a locking bridge. And you'll definitely get consistent build quality.

yea, i was just going for a comparison of a USA guitar, and another brand that you would also pay for the name.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ignore the boneheads. If you want a Gibson SG buy one. There is no substitute. I love my Epiphones but they are not the same as my Gibsons.People try and convince them selves it is just a name. Remember that as you drive your Pinto to the store and the guy next door his Caddy. Yep they both have 4 wheels and get you there but who is going to believe that it is just a name plate on the car that makes them different.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I personally love the feel of the Faded Gibsons and think that they are more than worth the money.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I like the look of the brown one, but it is totally up to you. You will be the one playing it!
Quote by KTFM
Wonderwall.
Bitches love Wonderwall.
I had one for a bit. I looooooove the finish, but the neck wasn't to my liking (I prefer tele necks) and it was too bright (I already have a tele, don't need another bright guitar).
Quote by allfooie
I like the look of the brown one, but it is totally up to you. You will be the one playing it!

Yeah, I have the Epiphone G-400 version of the satin brown, and it is actualy nice. I actualy bought it over the Gibson Faded SG, because the neck was so much nicer to me.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

^This, if you look long enough you can score one of the older ebony fretboard models for around $500 when they pop up. VERY nice playing guitar from the 2 that I've played and 1 that I worked on (pickup swap).
Quote by Strats&Cats
I feel like the "Faded" series is probably the worst stuff Gibson makes... That being said, it's still a Gibson.

While I'll respect your opinion, they're not a bad guitar in the slightest. For example, the Faded Flying V and Standard. They're literally the same guitar (same hardware, pickups, bodies/necks picked from the same stock). The difference? $440 buys you grain filler and a hardshell case. For that you can damn near pick up another Faded model.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Indeed. They're great for the money. An SG Special is basically a Standard without the aesthetics. Though the pickups are a bit different.

I bought a V standard over a faded because the standard played beautifully and the setup was top notch.
I'm not a fan of the wax sealer that they use on the faded's either. I thought it felt a bit cheap. They have the same pickups and hardware but the standard just feels better.

Also, i think gig bags on a £750 guitar is just an accident waiting to happen.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 4, 2012,
My friend left a faded brown sg at my house for a few days. I messed around with it but I didn't like the neck or that the guitar felt unbalanced. I must say it sounded very nice but i absolutely hated the neck, which is strange because i like chunkier necks. I also didn't flip over the finish.

If you don't mind that finish and its comfortable to you go for it. It does sound very nice.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Jan 7, 2012,
SG's are odd beasts. Some are golden, some are complete trash. Really varies from SG to SG. Make sure you gets your hands on one before you buy.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I've heard a lot about the neck of the guitar -- some people love it, some people hate it. What exactly do people love/hate about it? How does it feel compared to a Squier Strat neck? I'm female and have small hands, but I've never had trouble playing guitar because of it.

I'll get a chance to try one out this weekend. Thanks for all the input, guys!
Oddly enough, most players I know with small hands prefer thicker gibson necks, and long fingered freaks like myself prefer Fender or Ibanez. To each their own, and there are variations to every rule.

It simply comes down to figuring out if it feels right to you. Go to a store and play one, that's the only way to know for sure.
Oh, interesting. I wonder why that is.

I'll stop by this afternoon, and maybe look up a couple other guitars to try as well.
The neck is going to be nothing like a strat. The best way I can explain it, is that the neck doesn't really get much thinner towards the upper frets. It's very round through out the entire neck. You said you're trying one out this weekend, so you'll find out what you think of it.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Just came back from the guitar shop. Tried it out, loved it. I am now the proud owner of a gorgeous Gibson SG Faded <3

Thanks for all of your input!
I love my faded sg, sounds great and looks amazing. Especially cause the brown almost has a purple hue to it.
I really wanna get an SG faded since i tried one out locally.. well, i tried two, loved the first one but the second one felt nasty in comparison. Ended up with my mates faded Les Paul, though, the body felt much more comfortable to me, but i did love the sound of the SG. One day...
Congrats on the guitar!!

Random Edit: Ended up getting a used SG standard for £500. They just sound so damn good
STRIKING MINORS
Last edited by Mources at Jul 10, 2012,
Quote by Insira
Just came back from the guitar shop. Tried it out, loved it. I am now the proud owner of a gorgeous Gibson SG Faded <3

Thanks for all of your input!

Nice one!

I really like the Faded Gibsons, love the feel of the satin finished necks.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
i had the cherry sg faded for awhile, hated it. the pickups are bad, the neck is way too big and honestly it was just an awkward gtr to play, if youre going to get an sg just wait a little longer and get the standard
Quote by gerraguitar
i had the cherry sg faded for awhile, hated it. the pickups are bad, the neck is way too big and honestly it was just an awkward gtr to play, if youre going to get an sg just wait a little longer and get the standard

You know that the Standard is pretty much the same guitar with more paint and bling on it with pretty much the same pickups?
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
You know that the Standard is pretty much the same guitar with more paint and bling on it with pretty much the same pickups?

Haven't you learned from the Synyster Gates Custom? More bling makes it play better, of course!
Quote by JustRooster
Haven't you learned from the Synyster Gates Custom? More bling makes it play better, of course!

Almost forgot that binding makes you play faster, trapezoid inlays make the fretboard feel much higher quality and that high gloss finish gives you a more "polished" sound.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by gerraguitar

Depends on the person, that's all. Most guitars feel incredibly awkward for me -- I'm small and female, and my Stratocaster was wayy too big/awkward to play standing up. Same with most of the other guitars I've tried.

This SG, though, is absolutely perfect for me. I feel like the neck was made for my hand and the body was made for mine. I've never felt something so comfortable.

Almost forgot that binding makes you play faster, trapezoid inlays make the fretboard feel much higher quality and that high gloss finish gives you a more "polished" sound.

NGD thread soon?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I had one didn't care for it. I now have an epiphone sg prophecy gx and i absolutely love it.
any guitar can sound good. its all in your hands. so with that being said go to a shop and try EVERYTHING in yout price range.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.