Hey guys,

After getting a lemon OD pedal I'm in the market for an OD pedal as a clean boost as well as a distortion pedal. At the moment I have the oppurtunity to buy a Metal Muff and a BYOC Tube Screamer for 80 bucks or a Jekyll & Hyde for the same. Which would you recommend?

I play Rock mostly in the vein of Alternative and Punk.

I know the Metal Muff is of course geared towards metal but I've heard it produce esser than metal sounds. The BYOC Clone will kind of be a shot in the dark and I don't know much about the JH either. Luckily I do have a chance to try them out tomorrow but which do you guys think would be better?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
well i dont have any experience with the other pedals but i own the metal muff and its a good distortion pedal you could definately use it for punk
The metal muff is pretty much just for metal. Had a hard time getting any usable rock sounds out of it when I tried it at a friends house.

I really like the Jekyll and Hyde though. It's sounds like a TS9 and a modded DS1, pretty nice.
okay guys thanks for the input! I've had some trouble finding any good videos of it but it sounds like people seem to like it better!
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
J&H. 2 pedals in one means more with which you can tweak. It's more versatile, and the build/sound quality make for a better investment.
I am a fake mountain.
I havent actually played the J&H, but I cant say the quality of visual sounds pedals are top notch. Just based on the ones I have owned.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
A Barber Dirty Bomb would probably suit you much better than a Metal Muff, it is a great pedal. I know you have a chance at getting a dela on a Metal Muff, but one thing I have learned the hard way is it is sometimes better saving that bit more to get a lot more bang for your buck. I do enjoy the odd razz on my Metal Muff (now that sounds dodgy ) but it is a pretty limited pedal, and really sounds nowhere near as "tube like" as the DB, if that's what your going for.

It all depends on the amp your playing it through though, you may be better with an OD to crank what you already have. What amp do you have?
Last edited by ragingben at Jan 4, 2012,
Hey guys, I went and played the pedals including the JH and decided to get that. I really like it so far and I'm glad for the input. I'm playing through a JCA20H and I'm basically using the overdrive side as a clean boost and then using the distortion as my distortion channel in an essence. I'm getting a pretty great sound out of it!
Quote by barden1069
Congrats man, I'm glad you are enjoying it. Gotta update your sig now
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
done can't wait to try it today at band practice!
Quote by barden1069