I was thinking this came with age, but after research, I don't think my assumption is right. I got a Fender CD-60 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-cd-60-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar/h70152 for Christmas, and don't get me wrong I love it, the strings just feel a little tight for my liking. Not the most expensive guitar in the world, but it's backed with a good brand name, and almost perfect reviews anywhere you look. The sound is crisp and clean, i just want the strings easier to push down on. I have a old acoustic in the closet, and the strings press with almost no tension at all, and I really like that, it doesn't sound even close to as good as my new guitar though.
I have stock strings on it, and havent done anything to it except tune from standard to drop d a few times, and i used a real tuner, so its not tuned wrong, It came with some alan wrenches and stuff... maybe i gotta turn some stuff?

Sorry for the wall of text, too

Thanks!
Last edited by austinblair at Jan 3, 2012,
You have to adjust the neck. It should be right in the soundhold where the fretboard ends. I don't know which way to turn it or anything like that. So don't try it yourself if you don't know what you're doing. I'd suggest taking it to a local guitar shop and telling them you need the strings lowered. Shouldn't take em more than 5 mins.
try getting different strings
Quote by darkstar2466
You will get large cacti inserted into your anus for the heinous crime of piracy.

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I wanna go down on you Jesus, I wanna feel your salvation all over my face

My signature lacks content.
It is, however, blue.
The strings are probably of a big gauge, just get some light strings.
You can get Bronze strings or Nickel Wound strings (Electric Guitar strings), Bronze will sound a bit mellower, but it's harder to play, while Nickel will sound brighter but it will be easier to play.
I suggest Nickel, you might have to adjust the Tross Rod to fit in Nickel strings ( you can do this at your local music store), but it will be worth it in the end.
"I wanted water but I'll walk through the fire"
while lighter strings would probably help, most likely you need to have your guitar set up. i have almost every guitar set up to make it easier to play. it makes quite a difference. but you might want to check your neck relief just in case you do need a truss rod adjustment. http://www.frets.com/fretspages/luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/Relief/relief.html
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by austinblair
The sound is crisp and clean, i just want the strings easier to push down on. I have a old acoustic in the closet, and the strings press with almost no tension at all, and I really like that, it doesn't sound even close to as good as my new guitar though.
I have stock strings on it, and havent done anything to it except tune from standard to drop d a few times, and i used a real tuner, so its not tuned wrong, It came with some alan wrenches and stuff... maybe i gotta turn some stuff?

OK, I just bought a Fender "Sonoran", which is shipped with 80/20 acoustic "Light Gauge" (.012 -.053) strings. I doubt the stings are any different on your guitar.

Mine came with a set up tag attached, giving the string height measurements. See if yours has a small tag attached as well. Post those specs, (if you find them), in this thread.

My suggestion is to NOT, "just turn something", until we can get a reference as to the actual action height and neck relief measurements are, and also until you fully understand what they should be.

Being really lazy person, I like to use a capo that only covers strings 1 through 5, put it on the second fret, and play in "drop E""......
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 4, 2012,
As Patti says. Do NOT go tweaking the truss rod. It's common for new guitars, especially cheaper ones, to be shipped with the action rather high.
Have it set up by a competent tech and you'll be amazed at the difference.