I'm recording vocals for a song and am not sure how to record a particular effect. What I'm going for is the whole band yelling a phrase in unison, like on earlier AFI albums or a lot of other punk stuff. Any ideas on how that should be recorded, in terms of mike placement etc? Should I multi-track it one member at a time, or have everyone recorded simultaneously? Any suggestions would be welcome.
they're called gang vocals and when i've recorded them we all stood in a circle around the mic and did it that way and then you can double that if you want
Gang vocals eh? Cool. I wasn't even sure what to call them. I'll give that a try. How far away were you from the mic? I'm guessing at least a few feet?
Quote by Axe_Burner
Gang vocals eh? Cool. I wasn't even sure what to call them. I'll give that a try. How far away were you from the mic? I'm guessing at least a few feet?

Mix it up, have some closer, some further away. Do it a few times in different positions and mix them all together if you want the crowd to sound bigger.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I record 3 or 4 takes of the band. Each take they stand in different positions around my condenser, which I usually place towards the center of my room.

For mixing, I pan out and blend the takes and then usually buss to a small reverb, depending on the vibe of the mix and desired effect of the gang vox.
Let's party.
Depending on the overall effect you're looking for, you can try a few other things too:

-try recording it in a stairwell or a bathroom or something to get some natural reverb.
-compress the living f**k out of them, hype the highs and roll off most of the lows and mids for that that whispy "def leppard" style
-add some chorus to it. It is, after all, a chorus!!
-all of the above

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Excellent. You guys have given me a lot of good ideas to try out. Thank you so much!