getting close but not a bulls-eye
31 21%
think that you can never be happy with 'your' tone
17 11%
there is no such thing.
5 3%
Voters: 151.
Page 1 of 2
simply enough. a lot of us started on practice amps, moved to modeler, or cheap tube amp, into another amp. increasing investment every time.

so roughly how many amps did it take you to reach your first 'sound' and by that, i mean whatever you played and heard a chorus of angels.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
im stil looking for the chorus of angels but so far its lloking to be a 30-50 watt tube amp

but the first time when i played and actually liked the tone of my amp ad went aww yeah!( i actually did say aww yeeeah) was when i had my first tube amp which i build which was a clone of a vox ac15 it was my third amp ever so ill take that as my answer

was soo pissed when i twas stolen
Quote by supersac
im stil looking for the chorus of angels but so far its lloking to be a 30-50 watt tube amp

but the first time when i played and actually liked the tone of my amp ad went aww yeah!( i actually did say aww yeeeah) was when i had my first tube amp which i build which was a clone of a vox ac15 it was my third amp ever so ill take that as my answer

was soo pissed when i twas stolen

damn that is a shitty thing for a person to do. that is way worse than a typical amp getting stolen, you have hours and hours into it. i built a 18watt with my grandfather last year, and if that ever got stolen i would be going straight home to get the AR15.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I played one of those EVH half stacks with a custom used strat.. It's not mine, but there were definitely angels singing.
Still looking, but I'm really, really close.

What I really want is an amp that takes any pedal and makes it sound good, yet can stand out on it's own. My experience with that is a combination of my second amp (a Vox Pathfinder 10: seriously, hook that thing up to a powered speaker with gain down, treble up! Superb cleans) and my friend who uses a Vox AC15. I want to get the AC30 once I have the money saved up, but I'm buying my bud's pedalboard, and it won't be cheap
I really don't think such a thing exists. There are so many different applications for an electric guitar and there's a million different tones out there. Yes, I absolutely love the amps I own and they sound amazing. However THE amp doesn't exist.
I'm on my 5th amp that I've owned. So far the mark IV has gotten me the closest to what I'm after. I'm sure someone who was a wizard at dialing in an amp would be able to set the MKIV to nail my ideal sound, but I just don't have the patience. For now I have it close enough. My problem is that I like to go from playing classic rock and bluesy stuff, straight to metal and back again. Finding one amp to cover all that ground is pretty much impossible. So basically I'm either going to have to buy more amps, or sell off all my current gear and buy a road king 2 / axe FX.

Though after seeing Ola's POD HD pro demo, maybe I can sell off some of my gear, keep the mesa for the chugga chugga, and pick up one of those for when I get the urge to play the lighter stuff.

Also, I absolutely LOATHE going to GC to demo an amp. Literally every time I have ever gone in there to seriously play an amp, some dude cranks his spider stack and starts a volume war.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
11 Dumbles? Greeny, you need to step on the Ibanez bandwagon.

no-name generic amp -> Marshall MG15 -> Fender Princeton Chorus -> Fender ???? Champ (?) -> Fender Blues Jr. <=> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

The Blues Jr., I kept. It's fine for now. I should have kept the other small Fender I had. Tsk tsk tsk.
I am a fake mountain.
started off with the MG Marshall series 100 watt, had the combo then the half stack, didn't really dig british tone after awhile so ditched them.

during that time i got the fender blues reissue and liked it alot, but got rid of that after awhile

currently i use a jc120 and a 71 twin reverb silverface....needless to say, angels sing

E
I liked the sound from my valveking and I love the sound from my Laney. I dunno. I can get a sound I like from almost any decent amp (except for ****ing 6505s).
Valvestate 15 (laughable) - > Laney bass amp + behringer v-amp (could have been ok, but my tone settings at 15 were basically "everything up full blast"), Line 6 Spider II (i actually liked this as a practice amp...), Fender FM100 (gutless), currently have a flextone II for jamming and a Randall RH150G3 because i have no self control and an ebay account.

TL : DR - havent found it yet
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
Fender GDEC < Fender FM212 < Peavey Valveking < Peavey Vypyr < Splawn Quick Rod

Technically the Splawn was immediately after the Valveking. Basically I realized that I wouldn't be happy until I had a killer amp so I just quit buying stuff and saved up because I'm not made of money. I'm super happy with the Quick Rod but I can already feel the itch coming on so who knows what the future will bring.
Quote by The Water Boy
Still looking, but I'm really, really close.

What I really want is an amp that takes any pedal and makes it sound good, yet can stand out on it's own. My experience with that is a combination of my second amp (a Vox Pathfinder 10: seriously, hook that thing up to a powered speaker with gain down, treble up! Superb cleans) and my friend who uses a Vox AC15. I want to get the AC30 once I have the money saved up, but I'm buying my bud's pedalboard, and it won't be cheap

Same here man, I know which spunds I like but i havent pinned it down to one.

Roght now Im between my 6534+ and a dual rec of some sorts.

I love the tightness and saturation of the 6534+ but the raw brutality an hugeness of a dial rec makes me shit bricks

Maybe its a dual rec with el34s? Either way my 6534+ is my 3rd amp since ive started playing and hopefully next summer I can buy a roadster which will be #4
I bought a Vjr head and a 1x12 cab early in my guitar playing. With that as a platform I got my tone from pedals. Amps aren't important to me as long as they can amplify my pedals without f*k'n up the sound. Since I prefer 15watts over 5 for even home playing I don't use the Vjr as much. I have a Crate VC5310 as my main amp right now.
Third amp, still haven't found it. But I've only been buying the cheap stuff. I'm going to need a new one soon, so I'll start saving to get one that I know is going to give me the sound I need.
1. Squier practice amp: Junk.
2. Marshall MG30DFX: Junk.
3. Peavey Windsor: Too trebly, should have tried better cab.
4. Crate V33: Perfect, never should have sold.
5. Epiphone Valve Junior: Not enough to keep up with drums.
6. Fender Bassman 100 : Too heavy, no OD.
7. Modded Epiphone Valve Junior: Awesome, but was just a backup.
8. Fender Blues Junior : Finally; perfect clean, great OD with a boost, very portable, plenty loud.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jan 4, 2012,
no choir of angels yet, can anyone recommend a good "choir of angels pedal" for under $100

i've owned numerous amps over the many years i've been playing most often whatever was the best i could afford at the time. never found anything that was perfect or even close but not exactly. now if a MK V were to fall out of the sky i'm pretty sure that would fit the bill. the Valveking i have now isn't bad and with some work has yielded some decent tones that i'm reasonably happy with. my tonal needs have changed over the years as well. until i settle on what guitars i'm going to use (pretty much there on this issue) it makes it tough to match up an amp perfectly.
I accidentally clicked 1-3, but it's more 4-6.

Started with a crappy practice amp of a forgotten brand, thought it was good for a few months until I got a Peavey Ranger 212, that was my first real guitar amp. I liked it but I eventually felt like it was a bit muddy.
It broke and while I was getting it fixed I used my bass amp, a Trace Elliot. It had fantastic cleans, but the dirt pedals I used sounded awful.
Got the Peavey fixed, used it until it broke again, and continued to use my bass amp again.
Finally got a Peavey XXX 212, and it's pretty much perfect. It has decent cleans, but they work for the kind of music I play. The gain is fantastic, and I actually keep my channel gain really low on both crunch and ultra channels, and use a BD-2 as a boost. It sounds GREAT, and covers the variety of tones I've been looking for.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
I gigged with a 100W SS Yamaha for many years and relied on pedals.
Then I heard somebody with an Abbey Harmonic II and knew immediately that was the sound I wanted. I waited for many more years regularly scanning the classified ads until one came up. I jumped on it and bought it.
I have since modded an effects loop to it and mounted it into a rack but it is still my gigging amp. I have had my grubby mitts on a lot of amps over the years but never felt the need to replace my beloved Abbey. It will do everything.
Channel 1 - imagine a non mv ac30 with 6L6 tubes
Channel 2 - a mv version of channel 1
Channel 3 - channel 2 with two extra gain stages. Real Mesa Mark sorta vibe. great for Santana all the way to da brootz.

I have other amps and I intend to make a JTM45 this year but not to replace my Abbey. My Abbey is me. For a while there I was dragging my modded JCM900 to gigs because I was on a minimalist kick and didn't want to use my whole rack (plus I couldn't be bothered lugging it around). Then when I started using my Abbey again I had fans tell me, "you sound like you again." I never took the JCM900 to another gig again.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I chose "close but not a bulls eye" but I'm prety happy with my tone right now It took between 3-4 amps epending if you count my dad's practice amp he gave me when I stated playing. But honestly I play a valveking right now and I prefer it to my bandmates 5150. I just really like it for what it does.
I hate my sig
1. Marshall MG
2. Fender HRD
3. Fender Blues Jr.
4. THD Flexi 50
5. CEC Toll Free-Express
6. Orange Thunderverb
7. CAA OD100
8. Diezel Hagen

So 8 to find my fav that gives me pretty much everything I've ever wanted. Then a few more after that.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Schecter + HT-5 = toooooanz!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Schecter + HT-5 = toooooanz!

and your 6505+112 for gigs right?
3 amps to begin with (Vox AC15, Marshall Class 5, Peavey ValveKing). Then I purchased a ValvePower 18w, was pleased with my tone, but I had to buy a louder amp. In which I bought a Selmer.

My current tone is close to what I want, but's it's not there completely.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Bugera 6262.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Archer18
3 amps to begin with (Vox AC15, Marshall Class 5, Peavey ValveKing). Then I purchased a ValvePower 18w, was pleased with my tone, but I had to buy a louder amp. In which I bought a Selmer.

My current tone is close to what I want, but's it's not there completely.

Ever tried a JTM45? My guess is that is what you are looking for, maybe with a good attenuator.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
fender 15 watt (came with starter pack)
Peavey Transube half stack (suprisingly good sounding for a solid state)
Line 6 Vetta (was probably the best modeler at the time)
Randall RH100G3
Peavey Valveking
Randall RG100ES
Egnater Renegade
Trace Elliot Speed Twin
Marshall MG10 (got it free stays in the hatch of my trans am). lol.....
Egnater Tweaker
Jet City 2112RC
Orange Dual Terror
Splawn Pro Mod
Ampeg Lee Jackson
Splawn Nirtro
Fender 1968 AB165 Bassmen
Crate Blue Voodoo 120 (blue tolex. bought to mod)
Marshall 1974X clone i made
Marshall JTM45 in process, kind of forgotten for a while. have to chase down one short,
Ampeg (unkown) old hybrid amp, that just sounds amazing for cleans. haven't heard dirty side because i don't have a footswitch.

so i guess 21. i may have left one or two out. as you can see i was on the Solid State thing for a while as far as the first few amps go.

for me, splawns in stereo with bassman for cleans gets me exactly what i want. tonal nirvana. chorus of angels for the last year or so. angels will probably disappear soon though and i will be thirsting for something else
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 4, 2012,
Dr Z Mazerati GT, too bad I can't afford one, heavenly amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Nah, sold everything but the jimmie vaughan git. I really wanna grab a creme brulee from ceriatone and make a 1x12 or 2x12 with a greenback but that'll have to wait till I'm back in st louis.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Nah, sold everything but the jimmie vaughan git. I really wanna grab a creme brulee from ceriatone and make a 1x12 or 2x12 with a greenback but that'll have to wait till I'm back in st louis.

oh yeah, that's right.

Ceriatone huh? Sounds like a good plan. Are they still building too or only selling kits?
No clue, I'd only want a populated board though. And a chassis, the rest I could handle myself. I'd rather have a nicer transformer, etc.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by Kevin Saale

you need to be monitoring the used sections of the favorite guitar web sites.
Not quite, but I'm damn close. I basically know what sound I want now, and that is an Engl.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Took me about 5 amps before I got the JTM45 clone, I don't think there's another amp I like more. The only thing I can think of would be a plexi, which I still have yet to play.

Probably going to sell my clone for cheap and then buy a Ceriatone sometime in the nearish future, the chassis wasn't built too well, although the electronics and soldering inside are top notch.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
i love mapz
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver