Anyone study quantum mechanics? Any of you guitar plays understand this stuff? Particles in motion act like waves, like what? This stuff makes my brain aroused. I want to study this and major in it. Discuss things that blow your mind, I suppose it doesnt have to be quantum related?
Yeah man, it's interesting stuff
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by The Madcap
More interested in Digital Physics tbh.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_physics

Ah yes. I love this shit. The world is based upon numbers, and values and specific properties. But my problem is we don't necessaraly know all the needed info, or we don't know if this universe is connected to another universe and we are the 'output'. So if we were to try to replicate this world, we wouldn't get the same result. But it's facinating shit
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Ah yes. I love this shit. The world is based upon numbers, and values and specific properties. But my problem is we don't necessaraly know all the needed info, or we don't know if this universe is connected to another universe and we are the 'output'. So if we were to try to replicate this world, we wouldn't get the same result. But it's facinating shit
you wanna major in physics you gotta know your math down cold. especially for quantum mechanics

-a physics major
^ You gotta be great at understanding and visualizing all kinds of ****ed up curves and spaces and transformations. Better be great at math if you wanna be a physics major, and actually love math if you wanna love being a physics major.

A universe is discrete by its very nature. It either is or isn't. Everything that recursively follows in its space is also... discrete.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by The Madcap

Hm? Isn't digital mechanics kinda like the matrix? That the universe has properties that can be described digitally thus we can be living in a computer generated world?
I'm getting a degree in nuclear engineering, and I've found the best way to understand quantum mechanics is to stop trying to figure it out. It's weird shit. A lot of times were refer to an atoms mass as a measure of energy i.e. an electron's rest mass is .511 MeV. Or you get weirder things like a neutron having a greater chance of hitting at atom at relativistic speeds because its amplitude as a wave is greater than its diameter. I've been studying this shit for three years and it still makes no damn sense.

it's only gay if the feelings touch

Quote by PopeOfWalmart
I'm getting a degree in nuclear engineering, and I've found the best way to understand quantum mechanics is to stop trying to figure it out. It's weird shit. A lot of times were refer to an atoms mass as a measure of energy i.e. an electron's rest mass is .511 MeV. Or you get weirder things like a neutron having a greater chance of hitting at atom at relativistic speeds because its amplitude as a wave is greater than its diameter. I've been studying this shit for three years and it still makes no damn sense.

Isn't that what makes it fun? It's the ultimate puzzle. If you can figure out how our universe works you get a hi five from God.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Hm? Isn't digital mechanics kinda like the matrix? That the universe has properties that can be described digitally thus we can be living in a computer generated world?

The wind is too perfect in this world to be fake. You can't fake wind like this.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
The wind is too perfect in this world to be fake. You can't fake wind like this.

Or the tides...like, think about it. How would you explain that?
Quote by blake1221
Or the tides...like, think about it. How would you explain that?

The moon???

So this is my trippy physics relate quandry (note: I used to have aspirations of going into physics of some sort and realized it just wasn't for me back in high school, so I'm no pro on the subject): If Atoms are made up of protons and electrons and neutrons floating around in nothingness, then isn't ~99% of an atom made up of nothing? And if atoms make up everything, then isn't there almost no difference between our physical world and complete nothingness, just a series of nearly nonexistent attracting/repelling objects? In other words, our existence isn't based on mass. Rather, it's based on force.

I dunno, I just think it's a trippy thought. Just like the whole "universe is a 2D projection" thing.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by The Madcap
More interested in Digital Physics tbh.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_physics

I've never heard of that before, but holy shit, it's interesting! Thank you for giving me something to read about on this highly boring wednesday of doing nothing.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
iv done a lot of quantum chemistry as part of my degree and i also did a year of theoretical physics
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I love physics with a passion but suck at and am generally not enthused with mathematics. I'm conflicted.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Doing a module on it now. As other have alluded to "If you think you understand quantum physics, you don't understand quantum physics". Shit is ridiculously interesting, and doing the light-slit experiment yourself is trippy as balls.

The photon acts as a wave, but when I monitor it closely it completely changes how it acts?...

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

No, that is closer to the holographic principle where our brains act as a receiver getting information from surrounding frequencies of waves and create the world we feel and see around ourselves.

Swordedit: I mean that your initial description before The Madcap's confused face sounds closer to the holographic principle than it does to digital physics.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Last edited by 剣 斧 血 at Jan 4, 2012,
Idk bout your local library, but mine had a good section about quantum mechanics. Learned a lot from those books. I also just got the book "The ghost in the atom" for christmas which is basically just a discussion from the major players of the field discussing their take on QM. I haven't had much time for it yet, but I heard it was good.

Another book "Thought as a System" I had recieved. It is just a transcript of a lecture the physicist David Bohm gave (with a lot of Q and A from the audience). Its pretty cool and you might like it if you like QM.
I really enjoyed learning about quantum mechanics. I understand most of the math behind it reasonably well but of course, I have no idea why it works. Oh well

For an introduction, I recommend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzhlfbWBuQ8&feature=relmfu
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
Last edited by keinerniemand at Jan 4, 2012,
Schrodinger equation and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is all you need to know, tbh.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by PopeOfWalmart

That's neat man, nuclear engineering, honestly I find it really cool.
Quote by willT08
Doing a module on it now. As other have alluded to "If you think you understand quantum physics, you don't understand quantum physics". Shit is ridiculously interesting, and doing the light-slit experiment yourself is trippy as balls.

The photon acts as a wave, but when I monitor it closely it completely changes how it acts?...

I never understood how the light-slit experiment worked.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by Rancid Ivy

photonic masturbation. after it passes through the slit it gets aroused thinking of a vag and starts to play with itself (known as interference so as not to upset republicans) and the result of this 'interference' ie cumshot, is observed splattered across the plate
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Rancid Ivy

No-one does, it's chill brah.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Anyone study quantum mechanics? Any of you guitar plays understand this stuff? Particles in motion act like waves, like what? This stuff makes my brain aroused. I want to study this and major in it. Discuss things that blow your mind, I suppose it doesnt have to be quantum related?

how you can keep making so shit threads
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
yeah man i heard c=mc2 or someshit like that but that's kinda whack i still don't understand it
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
I like the idea of studying physics but I suck at maths so there wasn't much point in me doing it, doing biological sciences instead which also has some pretty awesome stuff.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by demitriv
I like the idea of studying physics but I suck at maths so there wasn't much point in me doing it, doing biological sciences instead which also has some pretty awesome stuff.

biology is the arts of the science subjects
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

You keep thinking that.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
biology is awesome too. i learned some cool stuff when i took it last year, im stoked to take physics this semester. i can do the math, im just so lazy so so so lazy, but i dont like the idea of wasting my brain