Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum, please don't kill me too fast XD

so i have been using my BC rich bronze warlock guitar (the horror, i know), and have finally come to a brilliant conclusion: i need a new guitar. as i was browsing and browsing, and playing different guitars at different peoples places, stores, etc... i came down to a conclusion: something with FR, good pickups (preferably EMG or duncans), and hopefully a mahogany body with 24 frets. so now the question is, do i go for the Avenger or the Riot guitars that schecter offers? i'm going for those because they are cheep, and money is a big issue for me right now.

Avenger:
http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Damien-Elite-Avenger-FR.aspx

Riot:
http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Damien-Riot-FR.aspx

thank you very much!
Whats' your budget? The specs on those guitars are "ok" but for the price of them you can get something better. Heads up: The Avenger is a very heavy guitar when your standing up with it I find. The Riot also has passive EMG's, probably not the sort of EMG's you're thinking of.
Also, is shape important?
WELL... the budget is up to, i'd say 500-600 bucks? shape is generally important, unless something just SUPERIOR comes along with a strat shape, then i'll go with that. but dear GOD no a stratocaster, or any fender. bleh.
^I like your way to considerate Strats.
Its all up to you! The Avenger have a maple top, the Riot doesn't. The Avenger have a toggle switch, pretty far actually, the Riot haves a blade switch. The Avenger haves the overrated Syn shape, the Riot looks like an ibanez. You choose.
I'd personally go for the Avenger. Love the shape, where the riot looks kinda bleh to me. Plus the Riot has passive EMGs, and feel free to correct me but I believe the Avenger comes stock with actives. I personally like the HZs for a lot of things, but they got a lot of hate here.
what exactly is the differents between the active and passive EMG's?

and let me put this another way:
I play metalcore, hardcore and post hardcore, emocore, screamcore, well, core in general. things along the lines of BFMV, ADTR, A7X, PWD, and many others (i think you get the point). what guitar would be good for those styles of music, costing under 600?
well first it's not a FR, that's a BIG minus for me, i seriously jam the crap out of my current guitar, and i know BC riches are not known for their ability to stay in tune, but i'm not even kidding you, halfway through a song it will be out of tune. the only thing that has ever held it's tune for me is a double locking FR, not tuner locks, only double locking FR. another thing is, isn't that EMG 81 supposed to be on the bridge, not neck? and maybe it's just an optical illusion, but it seams the neck is pretty thick on that one...
The Avenger is the better of the two. The Riot has crappy HZ pickups. That alone makes a huge difference. The Avenger has a mahogany body and a maple neck, which is an excellent sounding combo for modern metal, and with EMGs.

Choice is pretty clear to me, of the two.

But for $600, you could easily snag an LTD Deluxe, or a Schecter Hellraiser/ATX used. Any of those would blow what you're looking at away. They'd actually have a good floyd, most importantly. The FR Special is very mediocre. Decent, but it sounds like you abuse your trem. The Special won't last with heavy abuse. I own a guitar with one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
if you really like schecters, look into used c-1's.. there strat shaped but there usually there better guitars.. you can get one with a real floyd and active emg's and i think theres a model or two with duncan blackouts
what about a jackson kelly? i mean, i've seen pretty cheep ones, are they any good? love their shape and coloring, but are they any better than an avenger?
Have a look at the Epiphone Futura Prophecy FX

EX is a TOM, FX has an OFR

It is a bit over-budget, but its awesome for the price.
The FX ticks all the boxes. The shape might look a tad odd, but trust me. It looks WAY better irl.

The only downsides are that its quite a heavy guitar and the upper fret access isn't that great if you have small hands.

If you're going used, have a look at the LTD EC1000FR
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 6, 2012,
Quote by n1ckn1ce
^I like your way to considerate Strats.
Its all up to you! The Avenger have a maple top, the Riot doesn't. The Avenger have a toggle switch, pretty far actually, the Riot haves a blade switch. The Avenger haves the overrated Syn shape, the Riot looks like an ibanez. You choose.

Schecter was making Avengers long before the Syn custom models. To TS: I would personally go for the Avenger. The body is actually very comfortable.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Have a look at the Epiphone Futura Prophecy FX

EX is a TOM, FX has an OFR

It is a bit over-budget, but its awesome for the price.
The FX ticks all the boxes. The shape might look a tad odd, but trust me. It looks WAY better irl.

The only downsides are that its quite a heavy guitar and the upper fret access isn't that great if you have small hands.

If you're going used, have a look at the LTD EC1000FR

i've seen the futura, and i was going for that, i'd just go for the Marcus Henderson Apparition, almost same price and it's 2000 times better, but it's way over budget.

I think i'll go to GC and play the avenger and ask around a bit there, try them out, see what i like.
Quote by Deadsilver
i've seen the futura, and i was going for that, i'd just go for the Marcus Henderson Apparition, almost same price and it's 2000 times better, but it's way over budget.

I think i'll go to GC and play the avenger and ask around a bit there, try them out, see what i like.

Its not really any better. Just a killswitch and a mirror pickguard (which looks tacky imo) are the only differences. The fret access is a bit better though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 6, 2012,
what about a fernandes revolver pro 81? or any fernandes guitar in my price-range with a sustainer? is it worth it?
I just have to warn you the avenger is a beast of a guitar in size and weight. I had a revenger (same thing with a reversed headstock) and when I sold it the guy at guitar center almost dropped it. He asked me if I had brought in a boat anchor. Just a warning because of that guitars unique specs.