ok so i play metal, megadeth/exodus// etc..., more thrash than anything
i have a esp viper with emgs, marshall mg30 practice amp, a distortion pedal, thats it.
i am looking for a better practice amp, nothing more than 50 watts, preferably tube, and whatever, just a nice little amp.
my budget is around 300 bucks, no more than 400. and has to be new, because i am returning a fender frontman 212 that i got for christmas and it is too loud for my little room, and will be getting guitar center credit for it.
so any suggestions? dont really have any preferences, dont know much about many amps in particular, just gonna stick a distortion pedal on it and expect something cool to come out. clarity, warmth, sustain, tone yada yada yada.
any help would be much appreciated, thanks
...or maybe getting a pod or somethin around 300 bucks a good alternative to getting another "better" amp. just an idea...
if you're prepared to look at modelling amps, I'd get a Peavey Vypyr. I've just bought one for $300 (australian currency, I don't know what they cost in America, about that, I think) brand new, and they have the widest array of effects I've ever seen. 11 stompbox effects, 11 different amp models of varying gain levels (2 channels each, clean and dirty modes, including a Peavey 6505 and a JSX) and 11 "rack" effects. No need for distortion pedals or anything, and the effects are fully editable.

You can also save 12 presets (1 amp, 1 stompbox, 1 rack, edited if you want), plus there's a pedal you can buy that allows you to save hundreds of presets, allegedly, plus gives you access to a Looper function.

Here's a demo off of youtube, blew me away
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQWtgn45cfM
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYOEu3MYihU&feature=related

EDIT: The video demo is of the 30W version. There's also a 15W version which doesn't have the stompbox effects, but has everything else the 30W has (although you apparently can get the stompbox effects if you're prepared to tamper with the amp). I got the 30W, but I haven't played it yet, and apparently they're quite loud for 30W, so maybe the 15W is more to your needs. Still, the 30W's extremely affordable for a modelling amp, and has all the effects you could ask for

Either that, or there's the Roland Cube, which is a more specifically metal amp, but has less effects and stuff;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwKflB01xmA
Last edited by staceap at Jan 4, 2012,
im not quite familiar with modelling amps, is it like those line 6 spider amps with presets on it?
The Peavey Vyper and the Roland Cube are both a bit better than the Spider.

Get one with w 12" speaker.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Slayterica
im not quite familiar with modelling amps, is it like those line 6 spider amps with presets on it?

I've never used a Spider, but I hear the Vypyrs crap on Spiders but yes, the Spiders are another form of modelling amp
Vypyr Tube FTW!
ok lookin up these vypyrs on youtube and what not, and i gotta say, they are damn impressive. thank you, you guys have convinced me lol. and yes i gotta agree on the tube vypyr
I felt that the Cube was a little more geared towards mid-gain, and smoother. There is no Cube with power tubes though is there?

Vypyr Tube 60. Win.