Hello all mighty and wise Bass forum.
Its me again, that annoying guy.

I have a question about finger picking, its the technique im working on at the moment.
Im doing it sort of like Alex webster, if i was doing say A on the E string in straight notes, i would pick with my right hand as follows

Middle, Index, Ring, Middle, Index, Ring, and so on.
Ive noticed that every 3rd note is accentuated, even when im playing 1/8ths. I think it is my Middle or index finger doing it.

Is it normal to have one finger accentuating every 3rd note when playing with your fingers in this way? Or am i doing it wrong...again...

Thankyou almighty bass forum, please spare me from your awesome wrath.
Quote by thunderbritches
I would still call him a regular musician...just a very irregular person lol

Warwick Pro Series Corvette
Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
I wish there was a super technical answer I could give you to solve your problem immediately. But you just gotta practice and smooth it out.
Main Basses:
Warwick RB Corvette 5
Douglas Sculptor 825 NA Fretless 5

Main Rig:
Sansamp>GK Backline 600>2 GK BLX 210 Cabinets
Quote by NatePlaysBass
I wish there was a super technical answer I could give you to solve your problem immediately. But you just gotta practice and smooth it out.

god damnit more practice. I also noticed i am able to go faster with 2 fingers...

my amp is a 100w and the volume is low, would having a louder volume help. I mean, i tried a Hartke 3500 through a cab and since it was loud i played lighter in order to stop those highs, and i didnt need to hit the strings with very much force at all, is that what i should be doing, having my volume at a higher level to get rid of the need to hit the shit out of my strings. (ok im not hitting them that hard but you get the idea.. i hope)
Quote by thunderbritches

Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
Damn dude...
It sounds like you're asking if it's a good idea to crank it so high that you can't tell your technique is imperfect. If the volume is really loud then it may be harder to tell the difference between the plucking force of each individual finger. But if you practice, and get the technique down it will be worth it.
Because there is always the alternative of using a compressor. A compressor will make loud plucks quieter and quieter plucks louder. Compressing the sound into a small sonic space.
But I'm not personally fond of that. Though there are professional bassists that use compressors all the time.

Long answer short:
You can use a compressor to hide the difference in finger plucking strength between fingers.
Or you could get your technique down.

Again I am totally all for learning the technique. Your bass sound will sound more natural and you will feel accomplished in the end with your good 3 finger technique.

Hope this helped.
Main Basses:
Warwick RB Corvette 5

Main Rig:
Quote by NatePlaysBass
Damn dude...
It sounds like you're asking if it's a good idea to crank it so high that you can't tell your technique is imperfect. If the volume is really loud then it may be harder to tell the difference between the plucking force of each individual finger. But if you practice, and get the technique down it will be worth it.
Because there is always the alternative of using a compressor. A compressor will make loud plucks quieter and quieter plucks louder. Compressing the sound into a small sonic space.
But I'm not personally fond of that. Though there are professional bassists that use compressors all the time.

Long answer short:
You can use a compressor to hide the difference in finger plucking strength between fingers.
Or you could get your technique down.

Again I am totally all for learning the technique. Your bass sound will sound more natural and you will feel accomplished in the end with your good 3 finger technique.

Hope this helped.

Thanks! I believe it is my index finger, which opens the possiblility of it also being my timing, but that would be the better case senario i guess, because timing is easier to work on. I think it is just i have stronger index fingers... i already tried hitting harder with the other fingers, or lighter with the index, to no avail, both at pace (8ths at 180bpm) and slowed down...

I play with a pick usually, but i feel more of a guitarist then a bassist for it haha

edit: By the volume thing, i meant not play at such low volumes where i am able to hit the strings hard. I dont know exactly if its good or bad techinique to go hard or not...prob should take a couple lessons. But what i sort of mean is, if i turn up the amp, just abit, i wont need to play as hard to hear myself, and ill be able to play softer with my right hand and hopefully even it out.
Quote by thunderbritches

Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
Last edited by Cantplay4penuts at Jan 4, 2012,
Yea smooth out that timing! So it doesn't sound like triplets but 16th notes and such. I used to play with a pick too. Fingers is just so much more fun 'cause there's no piece of plastice between yourself and the strings of your bass. You are one with the instrument. ^^

And that is understandable. Don't play at such a low volume. Try to find a way to play into a headset if you can.

Good luck have fun.
Main Basses:
Warwick RB Corvette 5

Main Rig:
I've found that plucking too hard with my fingers gives me a lot of volume fluctuations between notes. Like someone else said, don't crank the amp until you can "cover up your imperfections," but keep it loud enough so that you can pick relatively softly.
Return to the basics. Slow it all down, and pluck away at a string over and over again.

Talk aloud as you play... "ONE two three four ONE two three four" etc etc.

You need to consciously accent with your ring finger, then 4 notes later with your middle finger, then four notes later with your index finger, and repeat.

Eventually once this has become instinctive and natural, you will be able to incorporate it into your playing.
Quote by Ziphoblat
Return to the basics. Slow it all down, and pluck away at a string over and over again.

Talk aloud as you play... "ONE two three four ONE two three four" etc etc.

You need to consciously accent with your ring finger, then 4 notes later with your middle finger, then four notes later with your index finger, and repeat.

Eventually once this has become instinctive and natural, you will be able to incorporate it into your playing.

yes, and remember practice is the only way. I know three finger technique is a pain in the arse to get down, but IN THE LONG RUN, you'll be able to play faster than with two fingers. I'd reccomend to start off wit ONe tow three four, but once you get it down i would practice in other time signatures like 3/4 or 5/4
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Back again.
Hate to stir it all up again. But is it possible that it is just ringing out differently??
No matter how evenly i pluck the strings (pressure wise) it seems to always sound different with my index finger.
Could it be the positioning of my hand causing the finger to hit differntly compared to the others?

Sorry for all this mess by the way. Im self taught lol...
Quote by thunderbritches

Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
Are your fingers close or are you playing with them splayed out? That would put them at different areas some brighter than others down towards the bridge.
Quote by askrere
Are your fingers close or are you playing with them splayed out? That would put them at different areas some brighter than others down towards the bridge.

They are rather close. fingers JUST touch each other as they pass.
Quote by thunderbritches

Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
http://soundcloud.com/shittymusician/goddamnit
Here is a clip that shows it.
I really dont know what else to do. Im even considering taking a bass lesson just to iron this thing out so i can skip off merrily on my way into the sunset that is my bass playing Career thingy.
Quote by thunderbritches

Hartke HA 3500
Genz Benz LS410
I pick like that for some riffs. What helped me be more consistent is playing with a 2 finger style but use middle finger and ring finger. I played like that for a number of months until it didn't feel awkward anymore. After that it felt like I had much more control when playing with 3 fingers.
Quote by Cantplay4penuts
http://soundcloud.com/shittymusician/goddamnit
Here is a clip that shows it.
I really dont know what else to do. Im even considering taking a bass lesson just to iron this thing out so i can skip off merrily on my way into the sunset that is my bass playing Career thingy.

The clip isn't loading but I do want to comment on one thing. Taking a bass lesson or getting an experienced bass player to sit down and work with your technique issues can pay off in a huge way. My current bass teacher is fantastic for that and it has short cut so many of the problems I could have spent months trying to sort out.