I know we have a religion and philosophy thread, but i want a wide variety of opinions in a single thread on faith. Well, what do you believe faith is? Il use it in context.
Part of believing in god is having faith.
Simple enough.
Discuss? Try not to fight
I dont see this thread going places TS................sorry.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
It's understandable. I just was thinking about life, like I usually do before sleep, and was pondering where organic life came from. That led to god creating life which led to 'proof' which led to my own lack of understanding of what I consider faith to be. The way i think, I like to ask others opinions so I can get a better understanding of stuff. So its whatever if this thread fails.
faith/fāTH/

Noun:

1. Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

2. Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

/thread

I'm sorry TS, I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by deathdrummer

One can say that you have 'faith' that this thread will not be successful.

'Faith' is pretty much just another word for 'confidence'.

It can be justified or unjustified, supported or unsupported.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Yes I am faithless
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
/thread

I'm sorry TS, I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

A textbook definition is a nice contribution. I'm not getting at anything, just being open to ideas maybe if enough people contribute I may consider developing faith?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Ok, well I would like to know some reasons people have behind their faith in God? That's what I'm kinda getting at maybe? I can't imagine what unjustified faith is. It needs to be justified somewhere somehow? It can't be the bottom of your philosophical pyrimid, can it?
Quote by deathdrummer

The word 'religion' is enough to start an argument on the internet at any given time.

As so.
Talking about religion is rude because you don't know who you are going to hurt

Big fish

Is that true? Should we have patches sewn on our shirts saying I am a ___?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Ok, well I would like to know some reasons people have behind their faith in God? That's what I'm kinda getting at maybe? I can't imagine what unjustified faith is. It needs to be justified somewhere somehow? It can't be the bottom of your philosophical pyrimid, can it?

Ah, well you just hit the nail squarely on the head there. All faith is based upon something, as you said, it needs to be justified in some way, even if to others that justification doesn't seem to be based on much.

Faith in the existence of God is basicaly a coping strategy, it gives people a sense of purpose in life and the hope that their own impending death doesn't mean the end of their existence, so firstly we must consider that it's something that people want to believe in. And when people want to believe in something that doesn't have any empirical evidence of existing, they'll generaly fill in the gaps left by lack of evidence themselves.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jan 4, 2012,
Now that's how you get a fight started you can borrow my flameshield
That makes sense, that's how I view belief in god, although I still would like to hear some other factors. Like religious experiences would be enough to have faith. Or just a really strong feeling we have souls, something like that. Myself, I think we have souls. They aren't part of this world. They...fill in the gaps that don't appear in this dimension. The same way everything may be connected like string theory, I believe just maybe, we have one large soul, or individual souls that are just a nanometer away but we can't touch see or smell it. No way of getting to it, but it still has an impact like a leaf floating in water. If you threw a rock near it, the ripples will affect the leaf.
But that doesn't really relate to a god in my head. I have no idea what this soul is or may be. Just that a soul may exist.
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Hebrews 11:1
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Now that's how you get a fight started

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
you can borrow my flameshield

Have you ever known me to need a flameshield?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Myself, I think we have souls. They aren't part of this world. They...fill in the gaps that don't appear in this dimension. The same way everything may be connected like string theory, I believe just maybe, we have one large soul, or individual souls that are just a nanometer away but we can't touch see or smell it. No way of getting to it, but it still has an impact like a leaf floating in water. If you threw a rock near it, the ripples will affect the leaf.
But that doesn't really relate to a god in my head. I have no idea what this soul is or may be. Just that a soul may exist.

You just filled some gaps.

Ask yourself this, is it imperative that souls exist?
Quote by girlgerms007
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Explain? Faith is evidence? I don't quite understand

^
Imperative is a nice word, Il remember that, it reminds me of pragmatic. To my life, does having a soul matter? Yes and No. Yes because it saves a lot of thinking time and would definitely change my view on life. No because it doesn't directly change anything, because my knowledge of it doesn't change anything other than what I just said.
Quote by chaoticfables

i love seth mcfarlane.

1. Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

tis the only answer.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Imperative is a nice word, Il remember that, it reminds me of pragmatic. To my life, does having a soul matter? Yes and No. Yes because it saves a lot of thinking time and would definitely change my view on life. No because it doesn't directly change anything, because my knowledge of it doesn't change anything other than what I just said.

Well, to be 'pragmatic' about it, are you basing your thoughts on souls on empirical evidence of their existence or your own longing for their existence?
I have faith in the Marvelous Microcosm.

Cause I can.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Faith is born of fear.

But then it depends if you have faith in something, or need faith in something.
The two are fairly mutually inclusive, but often at opposite sides.
Looking at my life, I probably do need a faith in a powerful deity, but I don't have one nor want one.
I also have faith in my more ambitious friends who have high hopes but I don't need to. Their outcome will more or less be the same whether I sit here believing in them or not.
Faith is the substance - a Christian perspective
Faith is choosing to believe in something out of hope, rather than scientific certainty. Throughout the Bible, God values and rewards "childlike" faith.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
I used to think faith wasn't a choice because you couldn't help whether you believed or not. but now I realize faith is a choice and is more about your willingness to believe in spite of doubt. to say you believe and act like you believe even when you may not really think it so. I think it's useful in relationships and friendships and other facets of life. it's more about promises, trust and hope.

I don't really have faith in a religious sense, but I do have faith in people. despite their shortcomings and injustices, I choose to believe we are all good people.
#DTWD
Quote by girlgerms007

I came here to post this

I think a more straightforward translation is
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

Has anyone seen God? Well....uhm....no. But He's there because He revealed himself in the past and people recorded what happened in accounts, commonly what we call the bible. (that's the "certain of what we do not see part")

But a person can have certain faith, based on what God has done (he revealed himself right? so that mean we can now know him), that he will take gather his followers one day - call it Judgement Day if you will - to live with him in paradise.

There's a nice Christian perspective for you.
Faith carries with it the implication of doubt. If you know God exists, then there is no use for faith. Proselytizing faith is quite humorous. Selling something that you are not absolutely sure about. Wonderful.
Faith is going to school on prom day when you don't have a date yet... Faith is a salmon swimming up river... Faith is...

Allusion ftw
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Baby don't hurt me...

Edit: ^Goddamnit!!!
Last edited by jimmyled at Jan 4, 2012,
TS, what the **** are you on about?

You can't seriously be asking this can you? It isn't some vague term like the meaning of life or whatever, theres a textbook definition that has already been provided. I can't seem to grasp what you intend to discuss.

I don't like being this guy but... /thread
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
what is faith?

baby don't hu-

Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect