I've already said Hi in the thread above but I thought i'd start a new thread for discussion aswell.

My names Josh and I've just recieved an acoustic guitar for christmas. Nothing special but it looks and sounds nice and I dont seem to be having any problems with it so far. I've already looked at a few tabs and learnt to play bits of a few songs, 'whats my age again', 'fast car', 'about a girl' a few easy stuff but all sounds good so far.

I used to play the piano when I was younger but got really bored of the classical stuff I had to play, looking back at it I wish I'd stuck it out but nevermind, but now I'd like to teach myself to play guitar properly and to be able to read sheet music.

I just wonderd if any of you guys had any advice for self teaching to play and read sheet music. I was thinking of buying the exam books and learning to play these, and then once competent with these move onto the next book etc. probably wont bother going for the exams I dont know.
Learning to read sheet music is a good idea. I didn't stick with that and I regret it, so yeah. Other than that learn scales (blues and pentatonic scales will start you off just fine) and some of your favorite songs. I'm starting in on some good country songs lately by Josh Turner and Clint Black. Great stuff man.
It's also good to start learning the notes string by string. When i first started learning sheet music my teacher made me learn the high E string first and then we went down until we reached the low E string.
Im following a book at the moment which started on the high E string, learnt F & G on 1st and 3rd Fret, likewise with the B string learnt C & D on 1st and 3rd, G string learnt A on 2nd, D string learnt E & F on 2 & 3 etc.

so from Low E i can play all notes through to High E, which im pretty pleased about just need to learn of by heart what the look like on sheet music struggling with the lower notes a bit, but il get there i hope.
Yeah, that's a good way to look at it. And for any fret, if you add 12, it is the exact same note an octave higher.

But sheet music is a great start. As is technique - you can use the forums here for help on technique.

And when you go to learn songs, try not just learn the easy parts and move on - really push yourself to learn the whole song. It's very rewarding when you do.
Quote by a_7_x
Yeah, that's a good way to look at it. And for any fret, if you add 12, it is the exact same note an octave higher.

But sheet music is a great start. As is technique - you can use the forums here for help on technique.

And when you go to learn songs, try not just learn the easy parts and move on - really push yourself to learn the whole song. It's very rewarding when you do.

Thanks thats a helpful tip, i was wondering where the relation was with the frets on a guitar and notes on a piano, but knowing that 12 frets down is the same as the open note, i was able to figure out which each note was. Now i just need to understand what each note looks like on sheet music.

As for the playing the whole song I have to admit im a little guilty of just playing the easy bits of songs, but i'm going to make a go of the few iv'e started to learn and piece them together.

Quote by Concurssi
Didn't read but someone mentioned finding notes on strings one by one.
I would suggest this instead: http://justinguitar.com/en/IM-116-NotesOnNeck.php

Thanks i'l take a look at that link when i get home, iv heard a few people on this forum mention that guys tutorials.