Im new to playing acoustic guitar and have little experience with guitars, picking it up quite quickly though and im loving it.

The other night after jamming with a friend who hadn't picked up a guitar in ages we spent ages just chatting playing and listening to guitar recordings, he then played me a version of Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley, and told me that if I could learn to play that then he'd buy me a new guitar... thats one major incentive lol. Now im under no illusion he actually will buy me a guitar nor that i'l be able to play the song very well (if at all) but im damn well going to try cause its an amazing version of the song and be awesome to at least be able to play something near that.

My problem? I've had a look at a tab I want to follow and it says i need to capo at 5 (or 7) i cant remember anyway. I've tried googling capos and im unsure as to which one to buy, some people have reviewed capos saying that they've snapped the neck and such. So could anyone give me some guidance as to which one to buy, im looking at the £15 - £20 mark nothing to expensive but im open to options.
If a capo snapped someones neck, the guitar was made of paper. Total BS.

As for a capo, I would get one that allows you to set the pressure. This can prevent the strings from going sharp.
That is indeed bull, just buy one that fits on your guitar (though most fit on any) and look at protective rubbers so it doesn't scratch your neck (it could do that, with a very crude capo)
yeah I guess theres a good chance that could be BS lol, but you recommend a screw based capo instead of a spring one then?

I guess i could play in a diffrent key, but always handy to have the tools of the trade right?

Im looking at one now which looks to have rubber protection on both sides of the clamp, with a screw locking mechanism to adjust tightness
Last edited by Ginners at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by Ginners
yeah I guess theres a good chance that could be BS lol, but you recommend a screw based capo instead of a spring one then?

Yes. Just because spring capos tend to make the guitar go sharp. This doesn't mean spring capos are bad (I use one), I just like the screw ones more.
Im guessing the spring based capos are good for quickly taking off and putting back on. I'l go for a screw on one for now, i might pick up a diffrent one at a later date maybe

Does this one look ok?
Quote by Ginners
Im guessing the spring based capos are good for quickly taking off and putting back on. I'l go for a screw on one for now, i might pick up a diffrent one at a later date maybe

Does this one look ok?

Yeah, that's the tradeoff. And that capo looks fine, I wouldn't stress much over it. It's a capo.
Cool, i was just a little concerned after reading that review, but you guys have eased my mind.

Thanks for your help Iv'e purchased the one I sent a link of.
Bollocks, they must have been using a pnumatic pipe wrench as a capo.

Anyway, just get one of the Dunlop clamp style ones. About £20
Ginners;
THat linkis for a SHUBB capo. It;s the one I was going to recommend. I went thru quite a few before I discovered them and ended up buying a couple of 'em.
Quote by deltaten
Ginners;
THat linkis for a SHUBB capo. It;s the one I was going to recommend. I went thru quite a few before I discovered them and ended up buying a couple of 'em.

I didnt like the look of those at first, much prefer the spring based ones thought they looked cooler but im glad iv'e gone with that one now. Cant say i'l be using it that much but definately be handy to have ready to use. Im glad its one that comes approved
Quick update, Capo arrived yesterday, works great thanks for the advice on what to get. Thought id try it out with an easy song so started to learn wonderwall last night. sounds much better with the capo on second fret so definately worth a buy.