Main question: what (makes, models etc.) do you reccomend for replacement machine heads?

Background: My bass is a Peavey Grind (model BXP5). It has covered machine heads. the machine heads are allways threading (breaking) and it is a nusiance, so I'm interested in replacing them.
The bass is a five string (3bass side, 2 treble side) all of the sets of machine heads I have seen are for four strings.

I've threaded two heads in two years, but I am very careful with my bass - it's never been played outside my bedroom, and I keep it on a stand. I belive this effect is quite common - I know other bassists have exactly the same problem. I have heard one solution is to "stop turning the knob as soon as it stops effecting string tension, take it appart and re tighten it" but my last machine head broke within a quarter turn. I have come to suspect this is an inherent design flaw with covered machine heads; my cheap Pbass copy holds tuning better than my Peavey, in 8years of abuse at gigs & practices I have never broken a machine head. and I know the problem is common with other manufacurers in the intermediate market who use covered machine heads. Where the capstan meets the gear the thread is tiny (literally <2.5mm dia) I'm not a mechanical engineer, but that seems too small for a bass string in my oppinion. my worry is therefore that no matter what quality of parts I buy they'll still fail because of this inherent design flaw - what is your oppinion on this?
I've never had an issue with any of my Warwick's or my Yamaha.

Hipshot and Schaller are my go-to's for machineheads.

Schaller will probably do a drop in replacement for your Peavey machineheads.

And as far the as the thread is concerned, it all depends on what the various parts are made from - sounds like Peavey have sourced some crappy parts.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
BUMP.

I'm considering Gotoh tuners.

any advice on buying for 5 strings?

thankyou for your input nutter.
Quote by jimRH7
BUMP.

I'm considering Gotoh tuners.

any advice on buying for 5 strings?

thankyou for your input nutter.

If you're in America, eBay will probably have loads. You can also look on Stewmac, get a 4 tuner set and add an individual one

Here's an eBay link to some http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Bass+tuners+3+%2B+2&_sacat=3858&_dmpt=Guitar_Accessories&_odkw=Bass+tuners&_osacat=3858&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Bass_tuners.html

There's probably a few other places to find aftermarket parts as well!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.