in the tabs for the song im learning it says 2^2^2^2^2^ on the g string.

the ^ is labelled as "use bar" at the top of tab...

i have no bar so anything i can do to emulate sound?im a beginner if it makes a differnece
Unlikely, if it's rasing pitch then you can sometimes subsitute bends but chances are if they used the bar it's because it's too fast for bending to be practical. If it's lowering pitch there's nothing you can do.

My advice is honestly to put the song on ice - dependent on how much of a beginner you are you probably don't want to be worrying about whammys or even bends just yet.

[EDIT] and if anyone posts that retarded video I'll warn their asses
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
it looks like a pull up, so try bending the note up just after you play it, but try to find the same note on a lower string, it will be further up the neck and easier to bend. It won't sound exactly the same though.
Could get a whammy pedal, they're pretty fun. But honestly, if you're a beginner, don't really bother. Maybe when you get a new guitar, get one with a proper whammy bar.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
The only solutions I have come across are to either bend if they are upward whammy uses, or to slide down and up again if they are downward whammys. If the whammys are too fast and alternate between two notes fast, then you probably won't be able to do it.
In the solo for Tears in a Vial by Megadeth there is a whammy dive, but it's only a whole step down and isn't too fast so I slide from down to frets and up two frets again to kind of emulate it. If the bends are more than 4 steps, good luck lol
ok well i think il just leave it then its the only part of the song that i wont be abe to play

its shout by the crue if anyone wants to listen and maybe tell me if its defintly whammy as some tabs can be wrong'its at the end of what is called the solo although its the shortest dam solo i ever heard!!!

i just got this guitar..its a cort so i wont be gettin another guitar for a good while.
Technically, you can fret the note and then bend the string behind the nut with your right hand, bit of a trick I've seen Jimmy Page (I think) do, it's sort of a poor man's whammy.
PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender CD220CE Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 60w
Quote by arunawayslave
Technically, you can fret the note and then bend the string behind the nut with your right hand, bit of a trick I've seen Jimmy Page (I think) do, it's sort of a poor man's whammy.

Yup he does it for the harmonics in the Dazed and Confused intro.
arunawayslave is right, only thing I can think of is to bend behind the nut... you can also bend the neck if you need to drop the pitch.
cheers girls

i guess il just have to substitute a vibrato for it instead for the time being as iv no idea how to do the jimmy page thing!

im only playin 2 months!
Not heard the song, but here's an idea... play the 5th fret of the D string and pre-bend it a whole step (so it's the same pitch as 2nd fret, G string). Then you can slowly release the bend to simulate lowering the whammy bar.
Just play without a whammy. It won't sound like it's supposed to, but who cares. When you'll have a whammy, you'll play with a whammy. The song doesn't get corrupted if for one lick you don't use a goddamn whammy.

Also, on the Trooper solo, there's this one part where a whammy is used, I substituted it by making a tap to the high note that I needed to reach. Didn't sound quite as glorious as a whammy, but it sounded somewhat like it was supposed to.
This is an opportunity to stamp your own mark on the song! Instead of whammy-work, try rapidly flicking the pick up selector switch back and forth, or jump on a wah-wah pedal for that lick. The whammy bar usage was to add interest to a series of single notes. You can add your own interest. Try playing the note with some finger vibrato. Good practice of an essential skill and you will also have personalized the song.
Quote by deano_l
This is an opportunity to stamp your own mark on the song! Instead of whammy-work, try rapidly flicking the pick up selector switch back and forth, or jump on a wah-wah pedal for that lick. The whammy bar usage was to add interest to a series of single notes. You can add your own interest. Try playing the note with some finger vibrato. Good practice of an essential skill and you will also have personalized the song.

fantastic idea my 1st improvisation and its my 2nd song!!il see what i can put together'practicing a vibrato sounds good!!

fantastic name by the way!!!deano deano
You can also do nice dive bombs (or at least 'down-bends') without a floating bridge, simply use your tunning pegs and release string a bit.
Just practice it a bit, and a good ear is a must to return to right pitch.

I love my Floyd
You can bend your neck a little (but can be dangerous for you guitar)

You can slide down one fret then slide back up (ex: put middle finger on given fret and pointer finger one fret under, then quickly pull off middle finger and slide up pointer finger). it has sort of a similar effect. (or slide down a fret and quickly bend back up to pitch)
Pre-bend, if they're dips in pitch. If it's a semitone dip, pre-bend one fret lower up a semitone and release and bend again repeatedly. You could probably do that for up to a three semitone range.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Last edited by Dayn at Jan 5, 2012,