Page 1 of 3
Me and a friend were having this discussion. What makes a good lead guitarist?
Ability to alternate pick? Knowing your scales, minor major and pentatonic etc. being able to improvise? Solo's?
This all started when I said, I think I have potential of being a lead guitarist. Single note riffs are my bread and butter, and I know my scales (mostly) And I said he'd be good rhythm guitarist, which he took as an insult apparently. He just does chords and strumming really, so its not too farfetchd of a statement.
Anyway, I want to start a discussion on this. Maybe we'll all learn something.
So, the prompt: is lead guitarist>rhythm guitarist? What does it really require to be a good lead/rhythm guitarist? is a balance of both rhythm guitarist skills, and lead guitarist skills a good thing? (meaning, you wouldnt excel in either one)
Discuss.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
I've always thought that the most important quality of a guitarist is knowing when to do certain things, or how to apply them, rather than just knowing how to do them.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Please people stop asking this question.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Being able to adapt to different styles and/or having feeling, even if you can't play well/ a lot of stuff.

Also even if there's someone better than you, you still need to think that you've progressed and people should respect you for it
Guitars:

Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster

Epiphone Les Paul 100

Amplifier:

Marshall AVT 100

Effects:

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

EHX Big Muff Pi
Its not a matter of people being better than you, i couldnt give a damn. Just considered this noteworthy of a debate on UG. Plus, i like discussions, often times someone will drop a knowledge bomb. and then everybody learned.

Quote by theogonia777
I've always thought that the most important quality of a guitarist is knowing when to do certain things, or how to apply them, rather than just knowing how to do them.

exactly, I've played with guys who could play a million miles an hour and not have any clue as to what they were doing.

I think it was clapton who was asked about what he thought of these 'speed demons' that were showing up on the scene and his reply was something like "it doesn't matter how fast you play, it matters if you can make the guitar speak".

The other comment that I've always liked was that david gilmour may not play very fast, but he thinks about every note that is played-and then theres Yngwie Malmsteen who plays very fast-and thinks just as much about every note as david gilmour does.
Cream fan club member #11.
A guitarist who knows his place in the band.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Every guitarist is different.
To argue who's a better guitarist is childish.
Just grow up and stop asking this retarded question.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
So what makes a man a good lead guitarist. Sit down on a guitar seat, take you guitar and play something for up to 20 mins, and that might be a song you've wroten. Just take seat and play something that has a meaning for long time with a simple language, if you can do this, you are a good lead guitarist(the thing you play must contain solos of course!)
I do
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by Iblis92
jesus christ... well, in my defense I didnt really think this was a topic people asked about that much.... but..well Sh**

And the fact that you already made a thread about this in another forum.
the ability to get on with everyone in the band.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by LostLegion

Yea, and it got closed cuz it was the wrong section apparently.
Damn, why everyone gonna jump on my ass for trying to have a damn conversation.
I think you all need to take a moment, get the stick outta ur ass's and move the **** on.

I'm not sure, I think it might be if they play their guitar and it sounds bad, but I think I might have got something mixed up there
If you're thinking strictly in terms of rhythm and lead guitarists, you've a lot to learn.

A good guitarist is someone who can adapt to many different musical situations and styles with little preparation, and not just shred thrash metal from tablature
Quote by LostLegion

A) Your thread was old, and not very good. It's better that he made a new one.
B) His other thread was in the wrong forum, meaning he should ask in the correct one.
C) I'd been looking forever for the thread where OMGWTFBBQ? got mad at you for "stealing" his avatar, thanks for finding that for me.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
He must be fast, play classical scales faster than they were played when written. And please, no chords. Chords are for beginners. I want notes only.

On topic. A guitarist who can make me hear what's he playing and say, "wow that's real good, I want to try to play guitar and come up with something similar or better."

Lately John Frusciante has been my favourite. He's mixing the elements I like the most
the little stories and singer/songwriter stuff I like from Dylan, Neil Young and stuff.

Cool riffs and nice singing, The Clash, Babyshambles

And weird funky and spacy notes and solos like Radiohead, and more ambient music like Brian Eno.

And he makes it all awesome.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jan 4, 2012,
Quote by theogonia777
A) Your thread was old, and not very good. It's better that he made a new one.
B) His other thread was in the wrong forum, meaning he should ask in the correct one.
C) I'd been looking forever for the thread where OMGWTFBBQ? got mad at you for "stealing" his avatar, thanks for finding that for me.

He never did get mad at me
Quote by LostLegion
He never did get mad at me

That's what you think, but he's probably off somewhere secretly plotting to assassinate you.
Quote by theogonia777
That's what you think, but he's probably off somewhere secretly plotting to assassinate you.

I remember talking to him in one thread and we both had changed our avatars to the Rainbow Sheep in early October 2010. Same time when I joined.
Quote by Sanitarium91
I think Ogonia got it on the first.

*ahem*
Quote by cemges
So what makes a man a good lead guitarist. Sit down on a guitar seat, take you guitar and play something for up to 20 mins, and that might be a song you've wroten. Just take seat and play something that has a meaning for long time with a simple language, if you can do this, you are a good lead guitarist(the thing you play must contain solos of course!)

lol

"the thing you play must contain solos of course".

Why is that "of course"?

I'm so damn tired of this attitude when it comes to music and guitars.

This depends. Is this a guitarist you want in your tribute band for Dream Theater or a guitarist you want to write original songs in your own band? If the former, be able to shred, rhythm and all that jazz, if the latter, creativity and playfulness would be more important.

But a "good guitarist" it's like asking for a good fotballer and then not say for what position or asking for clothes to wear without telling for what occasion, weather nor size. It's pointless.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jan 4, 2012,
First off, you need to have good technique. Then good music theory understanding. Be versatile and unpredictable.

That's all there is to it. Being a "good guitarist" is really different than being a good composer though, so don't mix them up.
ive said it before and i'l say it again: bends and vibrato. if you can nail the notes on your bends and have great vibrato it won't matter weather you play a million notes or 5.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
You're a good guitarist if you want to learn new things. Doesn't matter how good you are at playing them, as long as you are interested in guitar and always looking to try and learn new things.

By my own standard, I am a bad guitarist.
Creativity. Humility. Persistance.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Quote by jordanzio
ive said it before and i'l say it again: bends and vibrato. if you can nail the notes on your bends and have great vibrato it won't matter weather you play a million notes or 5.

that reminds me of something I saw in a tab once, I dont remember what song it was, but I saw something like 9b8r9. Im not sure, but thats bending 9 kinda sliding up to 8 while bended and going back releasing on 9?

On topic: I belive it is possible to be a good guitarist without having to use your pinky. I know a guy with cerebral paulsy, cant use his pinky at all. He can play a lot of metal and shred.

Last edited by Iblis92 at Jan 4, 2012,
The best guitarists dont think about how good they are or need to be, They simply continue to learn no matter their level. Also, the best guitarists seem to be those who have their own uncompromised work, but the ability to conform to a band without wrecking the songs with irrelevent material. Such as shredding in a classic rock band, so what if you can, classic rock didnt. Or playing neoclassical shred in death metal thinking its good, when in fact deathmetal doesnt fit with yngwie style whatsoever. Its all about blending to the genre with the correct style, perfect the cliche licks no matter how overused they are, and work on your own creativity at home. Theres no limit.
what is neoclassical shred? thats something Ive never heard of.

Quote by Iblis92
what is neoclassical shred? thats something Ive never heard of.

Wut. Anyway, this would be neoclassical.
Page 1 of 3